This weekend has a wonderfully eclectic assortment of FREE fun! Catch an outdoor movie, watch Saturday morning cartoons on the big screen (with FREE breakfast), join a Halloween costume swap, learn some new dance moves, or just TRY not to laugh at a family-friendly comedy show.
A big thanks to our sponsor, Orpheus Academy of Music. Are you looking for a musical learning environment that is both nurturing and professional? Orpheus Academy of Music may be exactly what you’re looking for! During their Fall Open House, prospective students will have the opportunity to attend kid-friendly concerts and to try out guitar, piano, singing, or violin with expert teachers who know how to make learning fun. Drop in between 2-5:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 9, to learn about Austin’s most innovative music learning program including a Sound-to-Symbol approach and a Musical Journey Level System that promotes creativity and goal setting. Plus, receive $50 off your first month of lessons when you mention Free Fun in Austin!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Community Cinema: The LEGO Batman Movie– Friday at 7:00 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of The LEGO Batman Movie. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Plus, stop by the Community Market to check out all the beautiful art and handcrafted products that Community First! residents make in the various micro-enterprise programs at the Village. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash preferred). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. A donation of $5 is greatly appreciated. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Best Morning Ever (RSVP) – Saturday from 9-11:30 a.m. What is the Best Morning Ever? Well, get ready for tasty breakfast treats and amazing games and activities before snuggling up to watch DreamWorks Animation Television’s Spirit Riding Free, Home Adventures with Tip & Oh, and Dragons Race to the Edge. All are encouraged to attend in pajamas – both little and BIG kids! Due to the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey, the event will also be supporting Houston-based organization, Books Between Kids, by collecting book donations at check-in. If you have books that you would like to donate to children affected by Harvey, please click here for more information on accepted donations. Event attendance and breakfast are FREE with RSVP. Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter Lane, 5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin.
- Kids Costume Exchange – Saturday from 11:00 a.m – 2:00 p.m. Join Kid Frolic Austin for a costume exchange! Bring a costume to swap for a different one. Estimated range of costumes to choose from: sizes baby to kids 8-10; new to well-used conditions. Also, color a mask, play in the sensory sand, enjoy a special storytime, browse and shop a great selection of high quality kids books, enter the free raffle to win prizes and discounts on Kid Frolic Austin merchandise, and more. Early drop-off is available. FREE! Kid Frolic Austin, 1107 S 8th St, Austin.
- Open House at Orpheus Academy of Music – Saturday from 2-5:00 p.m. Meet the music teachers, try out musical instruments (guitar, piano, violin, viola, and voice), enjoy short concerts, and learn more about the school. The Open House is a great way to give an instrument a try and see if Orpheus’ innovative, fun approach to learning will work for you. FREE! Orpheus Academy of Music, 3918 Far West Blvd, Austin.
- Expanding Horizons Expo – Saturday from 2-5:00 p.m. This community event showcases the amazing local after-school choices for your children all in one place. There will be demos, kid-friendly activities, and performances by local dance, cheer, and martial arts academies. The Expo will make this your one-stop shop to fill your Fall with fun! They will also be collecting school supplies to donate to The SAFE Alliance. FREE! SafeSplash Swim School, 10700 Anderson Mill Rd, Ste 207, Austin.
- Laugh, Darn It! – Saturday at 3:00 p.m. Don’t miss Austin’s funniest all-ages live game show! The goofiest, funniest Austin comics will try to make contestants laugh – if they can resist, they win prizes! Laugh, Darn It! is inspired by the classic TV game show ‘Make Me Laugh!’ Host Rob Gagnon drives a rotating panel of talented comics as they do everything they can to make contestants, snapped up from the live audience, laugh. Will you be chosen to compete? Maybe. If you don’t want to be on stage, you don’t have to. How do you win? Don’t laugh. Not even a giggle. What will the comics do to make you laugh? Be really, really, really funny. And NO TICKLING ALLOWED. How much is it? FREE! Barrel O’ Fun, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Volcom Presents #ThisFirst at The Garden w/Night Beats – Saturday at 8:00 p.m. Global skate, surf, snow, and lifestyle brand Volcom is throwing an all-ages party at the Volcom Garden. Hosted by rapper Fat Tony, the FREE event will feature psychedelic R&B band Night Beats, presented by Sound on Sound Fest, and a live set by Al Lover – all in celebration of the global winners of #ThisFirst, Volcom’s global initiative to find and reward people who are dedicated to turn their passions into their careers. FREE with RSVP. Volcom Garden, 1209 E 6th St, Austin.
- UMLAUF Family Day – Sunday from noon to 4:00 p.m. Grab your friends and family and head over to UMLAUF’s Family Day featuring a line-up of activities including sculpture safaris, children’s art activities, family tours, yoga in the garden, story time, music and dance performances. Explore and create! FREE! UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Come Dance! Ballet Austin’s 10th Annual Free Day of Dance (8+) – Sunday from 1-5:45 p.m. Whether you have danced before, or have never danced a step in your life, Come Dance is designed for all dance levels and is your opportunity to sample a variety of dance classes to find your fit! There is a dance variety for every taste. Several classes will be offered during each time slot so there is always a place to dance or different style to try. All classes are first-come first-served and FREE! Dance in as many classes as you’d like all afternoon. Doors open at 12:30 p.m. Families are welcome at Come Dance! Although classes are geared towards and open to adults and teens ages 14 and older, children ages 8-13 are welcome when accompanied by a parent/adult. Signing up ahead of time is not required, but an RSVP is encouraged. FREE! Butler Dance Education Center, 501 W 3rd St, Austin.
- Austin Bollywood Day – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Bollywood Day is a festival showcasing Indian culture, Indian food, clothing, music, vendors, and contests. The festival will culminate in a record-breaking Bollywood dance attempt, where dancers and non-dancers alike will participate in one massive dance number. This year’s goal is 2,000 people of all age groups and ethnicities dancing together. Be a part of it! Practice sessions for the dance will be held every hour on the hour at the venue. FREE! Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Rd, Austin.
Bonus Fun for a Good Cause:
- International Music Festival – Saturday and Sunday from 12:30-6:15 p.m. The festival features a diverse set of accomplished Texas musicians, dancers, and groups who perform authentic international–specific music/dance. Performances will include distinctive traditional instruments and promote appreciation of the music from many cultures that are now part of the Austin and Texas ethnic fabric, including: Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, the Indian sub-continent, Latin/Central/South Americans, and the Middle East. Attendance is FREE, but a $10 donation per person is suggested and appreciated. Boyd Vance Theater, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- National Planting Day (Hutto) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Each year Keep America Beautiful calls attention to the importance of native plants that attract pollinators through the celebration of National Planting Day. Keep Hutto Beautiful Foundation is hosting several speakers, youth activities, and an opportunity to purchase plants as part of that this nationwide initiative.The event will be an opportunity for the community to learn from knowledgeable experts on creating pollinator-friendly landscapes in their own yards. FREE! Hutto Public Library Reading Garden, 205 West St, Hutto
- Pfurry Splash Party (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. It’s time for the first annual Summer Splash Party for your pfurry pfriends! There will be raffle benefiting Friends of Pflugerville Animal Shelter. Please bring donation items if you can. Dogs must be spayed/neutered and current on vaccinations (proof must be provided at entry). Admission is $5 per dog plus one owner; $5 per additional dog; $3 per additional person. Scott Mentzer Pool, 901 Old Austin Hutto Rd, Pflugerville.
- Brushy Creek Bat Fest (Brushy Creek) – Saturday from noon to 2:00 p.m. Bats are a key part of Central Texas wildlife, but what do we really know about these night creatures? Learn from the experts at this fun and educational festival. Children and parents can enjoy bat games, bat crafts, bat snacks, and learn interesting facts about bats and their caves. The District will be collecting canned goods to help local food banks. Activities include: inflatables, bat crafts, dizzy bat races with prizes, trackless train rides, bat posters, facts and literature, face painting, hair painting, snacks, music, and more. Be sure to wear your bat/batman-themed attired. Admission is FREE! Some activities may require a fee. Please bring a canned food donation for Round Rock Serving Center. Brushy Creek Community Center, 16318 Great Oaks Dr, Round Rock.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Austin Parks Foundation’s Free Movies In The Park Fall 2017 Schedule
- 8 Educational Daytrips from Austin
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss September Events in Austin
- Free Fun Calendar