- Big Bird RC Aircraft Show – Friday, September 4 and Saturday, September 5, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Join Austin Radio Control Association for their annual show. Watch giant scale aircraft burn up the sky. See everything from scale WWII aircraft to gigantic civilian 3D aircraft to real turbine jets. Bring the family and spend the day. FREE admission and parking. Austin Radio Control Association, 8705 Lindell Ln, Austin.
- Music in the Park (Pflugerville) – Friday, September 4 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnic baskets, friends, and neighbors for a FREE evening of music, entertainment and relaxation. Tiarra Girls and The Brew will play a little bit of everything–Latin rock, Latin jazz, Reggae, indie, and more. Food for sale on site. Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Rd, Pflugerville.
- Home Depot Kids Workshop: Football Toss Game – Saturday, September 5, from 9 a.m. – noon. Visit the Home Depot store near you for a FREE hands-on workshop, designed for children ages 5 – 12. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Guests are encouraged to pre-register online.
- Fun Fun Fun Fest Family Funday – Saturday, September 5, from 4-8 p.m. Fun Fun Fun Fest presents Family Funday: Youth Gone Wild, an all-ages, family-friendly event featuring a variety of activities, including a roller skating contest, a bowling tournament, a double feature movie screening presented by Alamo Drafthouse, arcade games, and a special instrument clinic hosted by Girls Rock Camp Alliance. Family Funday is FREE, but the event will take $5 optional donations to benefit Girls Rock Camp Alliance at the door. Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex, 1156 Hargrave Street, Austin.
- The Peterson Brothers at Hill Country Galleria (Bee Cave) – Saturday, September 5, from 7-9 p.m. Enjoy Saturday nights outdoors with live music, FREE kids activities and great shopping! The music begins at 7 p.m. in the Hill Country Galleria’s outdoor amphitheater. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this FREE event every Saturday night! This week, enjoy music by The Peterson Brothers. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
- Splash Jam (Cedar Park) – Sunday, September 6, from 5-9 p.m. Beginning at 5 p.m., enjoy live music, food concessions and inflatables. Admission to the park is FREE, but fees apply for face painting, mechanical bull, hamster balls, quad jump, carnival games, and rides. Fees also apply for Milburn Pool, which will be open from 1-8 p.m. The evening will end with a fabulous fireworks display. Elizabeth Milburn Park and Pool, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd, Cedar Park.
- Landmarks Docent Led Art Tour and Dog Walk – Sunday, September 6 at 10 a.m. Landmarks has partnered with Blue Dog Rescue to present the first docent-led public art dog walk! Dogs and owners will take a leisurely one-hour stroll around The University of Texas at Austin to appreciate some of its most stunning works of outdoor sculpture. Bring your dog, a leash and plenty of waste bags to Nancy Rubins’ Monochrome for Austin near 24th Street and Speedway (map). Don’t have a four-legged friend? Meet and greet some of Blue Dog Rescue’s most eligible canines! FREE! 24th and Speedway, The University of Texas at Austin.
- Free First Sunday at the Bullock Museum – Sunday, September 6, from 12-5 p.m. Go “Under the Sea” and explore the vast world that lies underneath the surfaces of Texas’s rivers, lakes, and ocean. Enjoy FREE admission to visit three floors of exhibitions that showcase artifacts from around Texas. There will also be special family programming for the first three hours, from 12-3 p.m. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave., Austin.
- Family Day at the UMLAUF – Sunday, September 6, from 12-4 p.m. Family Days offer special, hands-on programs designed for families with children ages four to ten years old. Families have the opportunity to explore the UMLAUF while engaging in creative activities. Listen to stories, do yoga in the garden, watch sculpture demos, enjoy live music, and more. FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum, 605 Robert E. Lee Road, Austin.
- Sunday Funday: Pinhole Camera – Sunday, September 6, from 1-4 p.m. Museums don’t always have to be hands-off! Sunday Fundays at the Neill-Cochran House Museum feature historically-inspired activities for children, scavenger hunts in the historic house (a bit less hands-on, please!), and informal tours of the museum. Looking for that extra little bit of weekend time to come out and see something new? This Sunday, you can visit the museum to learn about pinhole photography. FREE! Neill-Cochran House Museum, 2310 San Gabriel Street, Austin.
Bonus Labor Day Fun:
- Alamo Kids Camp: An American Tail – Friday, September 4 – Monday, September 7. Alamo Kids Camp now has a “choose-your-own-ticket price” model ranging from $1-$3 per person – you choose the amount. This new model not only allows for tickets to be purchased online, in advance with reserved seating, but also 100% of ticket sales will be donated to local nonprofits helping families. Now, while you’re enjoying some summer movie fun, you’re also helping your local community. Confirm showtime and reserve your tickets here. No children under the age of 3 will be admitted. Families with loud children will be asked to leave. Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar, 1120 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Free Day of Yoga – Monday, September 7. Participating studios across the Austin area will offer FREE classes throughout the day as an opportunity for people of every age and fitness level to: try yoga for the first time; experience a new style of yoga; visit a new studio or take a class from a new instructor; share yoga with friends and family; and discover the benefits of yoga. Various times and locations.
- The Biggest Barton Springs Pool Jump Ever – Monday, September 7 at 9:30 a.m. Join Friends of Barton Springs Pool and ABGB’s He** Yes Projects for the biggest group Barton Springs pool jump ever. Come hold hands with someone you love, or somebody new, and be a part of making Austin history. Up to 500 wristbands good for pool admission and pool jump participation will be issued on a first-come basis beginning at 9:30 a.m. Jump lineup begins at 10:30 a.m. FREE! Barton Springs Pool South Entrance, Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin This Week
- Clothing Swap at HOPE Farmers Market
- FREE Don’t Miss September Events in Austin
- 2015 Splash Pad Schedules
- Central Texas Swimming Holes
- Austin Museum Day (see which museums are participating!)
- … and more on our Free Fun Calendar!
Don’t forget to enter our giveaways:
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.