It’s starting to feel like fall (well, fall in Austin), so get out there and explore something new this weekend! You can dive into your heritage, say goodbye to summer, or celebrate the release of The LEGO Ninjago Movie. There are also concerts and movies in the park, a chance to check out different schools the Austin area has to offer, and more – for FREE!
This Weekend Top 10 is brought to you by Kiddie Academy of Round Rock, a brand new, state of the art facility providing educational child care. Round Rock and Austin area children and their families are invited to a fun, FREE, interactive reading at Storytime LIVE!, where Curious George jumps off the page and visits the classroom in person! This special storytime event is happening this Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Register today to reserve your FREE spot!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- American Indian Heritage Day – Friday from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Celebrate the traditional and contemporary arts of Texas’s American Indian groups. This FREE public program will honor American Indians of yesterday and today with dancing and drumming performances. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Halloween Costume Swap – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Bring in costumes September 27-29 any time between 2-6:00 p.m. Don’t worry about sizes or the age of the costumes, just make sure each one is clean and in good condition. They are also accepting costumes from those individuals who just want to donate to the event and not receive a costume in exchange. You don’t need to bring one to get one. This is a “leave what you can – take what you need” kind of event. Any costumes not chosen by the end of the swap will be donated. The swap is FREE of charge. Brentwood Social House, 1601 W Koenig Ln, Austin.
- End of Summer Fiesta – Saturday from noon to 1:00 p.m. Enjoy an end of summer fiesta with performances from Southwest Key’s Latino Arts Preservation featuring mariachi, ballet folklorico, and teatro. FREE! Southwest Key El Centro de Familia, 6002 Jain Ln, Austin.
- Bricks & Blocks Ninja Party – Saturday from noon to 2:00 p.m. Everything is awesome at Barrel O’ Fun as they celebrate the newest LEGO movie: LEGO Ninjago. There will be ninja crafts, LEGO free play, a LEGO swap, plus free surprises. FREE! Barrel O’Fun at Alamo Drafthouse Mueller, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Adaptive Sports Expo – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. This event serves community members who have visual, hearing, mobility and/or intellectual disabilities by running programs that build self-confidence and strength for everyone. There will be food and games, programs for all, adaptive sports, vendors that support everyone’s needs, and an opportunity to build relationships within your community. Help celebrate the champion in everyone at the Adaptive Sports Expo. This event is FREE and open to the public, so bring your friends and family! TownLake YMCA, 1100 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Movie Music in the Park – Saturday from 7-10:00 p.m. You won’t want to miss this night under the stars as the Grammy Award winning McCallum Orchestra takes you on a journey of movie music through the years. This year’s music will be played to a newly re-edited movie montage featuring old favorites along with new arrangements and movies. This fun musical montage will begin just after dusk and immediately following (at dark) will be a FREE screening of Monsters, Inc. Food trailers and a concession booth will be on hand starting at 6:00 p.m., so bring your blankets, family and friends, and your appetites. A portion of food sales will benefit the McCallum Orchestra. Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Austin School Expo (RSVP) – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Austin School Expo wants you to find the right school for your child. The event gives parents the opportunity to meet with and learn about daycares, preschools, private, alternative, charter schools, as well as homeschooling groups, au pair, and enrichment programs all over the Austin area. The event is perfect for families with children from birth to high school. Every school and child has a set of unique qualities – let the Expo help you find the right fit. Registration is FREE! North: Austin Sports Center, 1420 Toro Grande Blvd, Cedar Park; and South: Pan Am Rec Center, 2100 E 3rd St, Austin.
- Big Don’s CD Release – Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Bring the family to celebrate the release of Big Don’s brand new educational CD Big Don’s Big Class. Special Guest opener Doc Deuce will perform a great new kids show and Jasper the balloon artist will be on site to create cool new art for the kids. Big Don will also perform a live show for the kids featuring material from the all new album. FREE! Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 E 38th 1/2 St, Austin.
- H-E-B Free First Sunday: Go West! – Sunday from noon to 5:00 p.m. Enjoy FREE exhibition admission all day during H-E-B Free First Sunday. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibitions that showcase artifacts from around the state. Special family programs from 12-3:00 p.m. combine art creation, exploration stations, and gallery activities. You can pose as a bandit, choose your old west name, and make your own wanted poster; create a torn paper landscape inspired by the west; enjoy a live reptile show and learn all about desert reptiles with Capital of Texas Zoo; giddy up for a western themed storytime; and move like animals of the west with The Little Yoga House. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Sunday Funday History Lab: The Pinhole Camera – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. The Neill-Cochran House Museum is presenting a FREE, hands-on, pinhole camera workshop to offer visitors a look at early photographic techniques. Museum volunteers will walk visitors through the total process from assembling their camera to the finished printed image. Due to high demand, it is recommended that visitors reserve tickets online. This workshop is open to all ages, however, children 12 and younger may require the assistance of an older child or adult. Visitors are encouraged to bring their lunch to picnic on the grounds, as the museum cafe will be closed this Sunday. Entry to the museum is FREE for all visitors to Sunday Fundays and includes access to the exhibits on display in the historic house, annex, and grounds. Parking is available free of charge behind the museum. Neill-Cochran House Museum, 2310 San Gabriel St, Austin.
Bonus Fun for a Good Cause:
- Big Mega Workout | Austin for Houston (12+) – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Attention all boot campers! Leave your weights at home and join Austinites from all over town for a fierce workout utilizing the grounds and architecture of the Long Center. All you need is a mat (or towel), some water, and yourself! The workout starts at 9:00 a.m. and is completely FREE – all you need is yourself and some stamina! For every person that attends, Camp Gladiator and Outdoor Voices will EACH donate $10 to the One America Appeal, funding recovery efforts in Houston as well as in Florida from Hurricane Irma. Rally your friends and enjoy a go-at-your-own-pace workout + FREE treats…all in support of those recovering from these recent hurricanes. Ages 12 and up only, please. The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Twice Loved Children’s Consignment Sale (Cedar Park) – Saturday from 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Find everything you need from maternity to high school–top quality kids clothing infant to size 16, gear, toys, books, feeding and bathing essentials, bikes, furniture, decor, maternity, and more. You save 75% or more off retail prices. Twice Loved is open to all local families. Saturday admission is $1 or FREE with this flyer. Austin Sports Center, 1420 Toro Grande Blvd, Cedar Park.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Music in the Park (Elgin) – Friday from 7-9:00 p.m. Catch a performance from Dry Sky & Kyote! Sharing the stage are seasoned musicians and great friends Ben Fisher, Dakota Colby, and Judson Greene. FREE! Veterans’ Memorial Park, 109 Depot St, Elgin.
- Movies in the Park: Beauty and the Beast (Cedar Park) – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy a movie under the stars. Concessions will not be available, but you are welcome to bring a picnic. Glass containers are prohibited. Admission is FREE! Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd, Cedar Park.
- Public Safety Day (Round Rock) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Join Round Rock Police, Fire, and Wilco EMS for a chance to meet local public safety workers and see the equipment they use to respond to local emergencies. This family event provides a chance to check out the Round Rock SWAT team, Traffic Unit, Crime Scene vehicles, Round Rock Fire engines, Hazmat, Water Rescue Team, and a live vehicle extraction. Attendees will also be able to enjoy games, face painting, a rock wall, photo booth, and more. FREE! Centennial Plaza, 301 W Bagdad Ave, Round Rock.
- Curious George Storytime (Round Rock) (RSVP) – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. You are invited to a fun, FREE, interactive reading at Storytime LIVE!, where Curious George jumps off the page and visits the classroom in person! Reserve your FREE spot here! Kiddie Academy of Round Rock, 5080 N AW Grimes Blvd, Round Rock.
- 2nd Annual Comic Con (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 1-5:30 p.m. Authors, artists, voice actors, cosplayers, and local comic shops will be in attendance for a FREE celebration of comics, anime, and pop culture. Activities include Q&A panels, gaming, comic- and manga-related crafts, and a cosplay contest for all ages. Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 Pfluger St W, Pflugerville.
- Soaring Movie Scores (Georgetown) – Sunday at 3:00 p.m. Cinematic Symphony invites you to take flight as they perform some of the most heart-pounding movie scores to date. They’ll make oceans from clouds, race cars, fly in a Royal Air Force squadron, soar with dragons, and travel from the earth to the moon and beyond into an asteroid field. Large-screen visuals, trivia, and prizes. Doors open at 2:45pm. Kid-friendly and FREE! Klett Performing Arts Center, 2211 N Austin Ave, Georgetown.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- FREE Date Nights in Austin
- Top Spots For Stargazing In And Around Austin
- You Won’t Want To Miss These 30+ FREE Fall Festivals In Austin (And Beyond)!
- It’s TEMPO Time! Don’t Miss These Temporary Outdoor Artworks By Austin Area Artists
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss September Events in Austin
- Free Fun Calendar