It’s the first weekend of fall! Get outdoors and enjoy concerts in the park, festivals, and family fun!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Shakespeare at the Market: Twelfth Night (RSVP) – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 6:30 p.m. Present Company, in partnership with Whole Foods Market, presents the third annual Shakespeare at the Market on the rooftop of the downtown Austin Whole Foods Market. Seating begins at 6:30 for a 7:00 p.m. performance. Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket or short chair, and grab picnic goodies before the show. Promoting the philosophy of “accessible & sustainable art,” Shakespeare at the Market is a FREE event, however a $20 donation is suggested for guests able to support. Reserve your tickets here. Bus Routes: 4, 21, 22, 338 will get you there! Plan your trip online or on your smartphone. Whole Foods, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- NAMIWalks Austin – Saturday at 8:00 a.m. Support NAMI Austin—the Austin affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness—at this family-friendly event. In addition to the 5k walk, there will be opportunities to visit with sponsors and supporters; create your own sign at the sign station; take a photo at the DIY photo booth; enjoy community yoga and warm-ups; venture into the family fun tent; and more, including visiting with miniature therapy horses. Admission is FREE! Donations accepted. All walkers who raise or donate $100 or more will receive a t-shirt. The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Seat Check Saturday – Saturday from 8:30-11:30 a.m. Certified child passenger safety technicians will check your child’s car seats for FREE! No appointment necessary. Learn how to safely install you child’s car seat and harness your child securely. Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Dr, Austin.
- Pinballz Lake Creek Grand Opening – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. You’re invited to the Grand Opening of Pinballz’s newest—and largest—location. Including a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony with Mayor Adler at 2:00 p.m., they’ll run tournaments throughout the day and evening, host an Austin Humane Society pet adoption, offer photo opportunities with the Ghostbusters actors and vehicle, along with Doc and the Back to the Future DeLorean. The evening will conclude with live celebrity entertainment—an intimate performance by Ed Robertson of the Barenaked Ladies. Admission is FREE! Pinballz Lake Creek, 13729 Research Blvd, Ste 1350, Austin.
- Kid’s Concert with Staci Gray – Saturday from 10-11:30 a.m. Enjoy a performance by local Austin children’s musician, Staci Gray. Jack’s Mom In Austin will also be there to help make it an all-out kiddie party with bubbles and a few other surprises. Staci’s original music gets children to sing, dance, and get their sillies out. Parents can relax and sip on some delicious cold brew coffee or a mimosa (available for purchase), and of course, they are welcome to sing, dance, and get their sillies out, too. FREE! in.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Pecan Street Festival – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Featuring over 300 artisan vendors, 25 food concessions, 40+ bands on 3 stages, a petting zoo, kids area, and so much more. Admission is FREE! 6th Street Between Brazos & I-35 Austin.
- Family Fun Fest and Diaper Drive – Saturday from Noon to 3:00 p.m. A FREE, rocking fun time for families showcasing awesome local children’s businesses plus music, kids’ classes, and more. Austin Fire Department will be there with a firetruck. Plus, enjoy Lego building, Princess Sofia, Spike the Round Rock Express mascot, and Austin Reptile Show. Proceeds of diapers and dollars benefit Austin Diaper Bank. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
11th Annual Home Slice Carnival O Pizza – Saturday from Noon to 7:00 p.m. Come one, come all for an afternoon of pizza-themed fun. A celebration of Home Slice’s love for all things pizza, this FREE family-friendly event will have over-the-top pizza-themed activities, entertainment, live music, and exciting prizes, with all proceeds benefiting this year’s non-profit recipient: Austin Bat Cave. Home Slice Pizza, 1415 S Congress Ave, Austin.Due to the risk of inclement weather, Home Slice Carnival O Pizza 2016 is postponed until Saturday, November 12. Movie Music in the Park: Willy Wonka – Saturday from 6:30-10:00 p.m. Enjoy a night under the stars as the Grammy Award-winning McCallum Orchestra takes you on a journey of movie music through the years. This year’s music will be played to a newly re-edited movie montage that will feature old favorites along with new arrangements and movies. This fun musical montage will begin just after dusk and immediately following (at dark) will be a screening of the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.Due to the risk of inclement weather, Movie Music in the Park has been postponed until October 22.
- Fall Concert in the Park – Sunday at 7:00 p.m. The Austin Symphonic Band presents its traditional Fall concert. Bring a picnic and spread your blanket under the pecan trees, then watch the stars come out as the band showcases music as big as the great outdoors. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin
- Leander Bluegrass Festival – Friday and Saturday from 6-10:00 p.m. Featuring live music, concessions, children’s activities, and a variety of vendors. Admission is FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
- Star Party (Cedar Park) – Friday at 9:00 p.m. Star gaze on a state-of-the art computer guided telescope. View through the telescope, take telescope assisted photos with your smartphone, and learn major stars and constellation positions along with the planets and moons. Learn how to read a star map, and much more. Weather permitting. FREE! Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220, Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- National Hunting & Fishing Day Festival (Round Rock) – Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. A perfect opportunity to celebrate the conservation efforts of outdoorsmen and women across the nation with fishing, archery, BB gun range, kayaking, a sensory safari, and more. FREE! Old Settlers Park, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Just Between Friends Consignment Sale (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Find amazing deals on children’s clothing from infant to teen, shoes, toys big and small, books, furniture, and of course, maternity clothing. Every item has been inspected for quality and safety. Admission is FREE! (Admission is also free on Friday if you get tickets online in advance.) Hawaiian Falls Water Park, 18500 TX-130 Service Rd, Pflugerville.
- Public Safety Day (Round Rock) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Round Rock Police, Fire, and EMS personnel will have equipment and static displays for the public to view. Other attractions will include the Round Rock SWAT team, Traffic Unit, Crime Scene, Round Rock Fire engines, Hazmat, Water Rescue Team, and a special helicopter landing by Star Flight. There will be games, face painting, a rock wall, a photo booth and more attractions for all to enjoy. FREE! Texas Baptist Children’s Home, 1101 N Mays St, Round Rock.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- 40 “Don’t Miss” Events in Austin This September
- 10 Unforgettable Fall Getaways from Austin
- Free Fun Calendar