It’s Labor Day weekend and there is plenty of FREE fun for you to enjoy, including an RC Airshow, a block party, community festivals, and your chance to enjoy free activities at several area museums. Plus, check out our calendar and this link to find one of the many ways you can make a difference for Hurricane Harvey survivors.
A big thanks to our sponsor, tuneBugz! TuneBugz! invites you to enjoy a FREE demo music and movement class at any of their five convenient locations from September 5-9, 2017. TuneBugz! offers the very best experience in early childhood music education from birth through 2nd grade. It’s no secret that Austin knows their music – and tuneBugz! offers the research based program that Austinites LOVE – the Music Together® program. Just click here to reserve your FREE spot in a tuneBugz! demo class.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- 2017 Fall Big Bird RC Airshow – Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Join the Austin Radio Control Association for their final and BIGGEST airshow in 2017: The 2017 Big Bird! Pilots from all over Texas and the Southwest will be flying incredible scale radio control airplanes. Breathtaking aerobatic aircraft, WWI biplanes, massive scale WWII fighters and bombers flying in formation, giant bush planes being lazy in the air, real turbine jets, and sleek, modern civilian scale models will all be tearing up the skies during Labor Day weekend. This is a fun event for the whole family! The big day for this event is Saturday. Parking and admission are FREE! Concessions available for purchase onsite 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a shaded picnic area and an air conditioned club house. Austin Radio Control Association, 8705 Lindell Ln, Austin.
- in.gredients Block Party – Friday from 6-9:00 p.m. in.gredients is hosting a block party to welcome in the fall season and cooler weather. Batty Jr. will be playing their eclectic tunes and the night will feature samples from local vendors like Boulanger Fermentations, All We Need Farms, Texas Coffee Traders, the Austin Winery, and more! They’ll also be offering pasture-raised and vegan tacos as a block party special and tapping their final keg of Hops & Grain’s famous Watermelon Brown Ale. Sit under cool misters, drink a cappuccino, or play with the kids on their brand new ship-shaped playground. A portion of the proceeds from the night’s celebration will go to Workers Defense Project, an Austin-based organization that advocates for marginalized workers. Event is FREE! Food and beverages available to purchase. in.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Home Depot Kids’ Workshop (RSVP)– Saturday from 9:00 a.m to noon. Build a handy pencil case just in time for back to school. Once the pencil box is built, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a certificate of achievement, a workshop apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron, and pin. Choose your location and register here. FREE! Your local Home Depot.
- Unity March and Concert – Saturday from 11:00 a.m – 3:00 p.m. Join Texas’ diverse communities of color as they come together to show that they are powerful and united against hate. Grammy-nominated musical group Voz de Mando will perform. FREE! Texas State Capitol Grounds, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Labor Day Weekend Community Party – Saturday from 2-5:00 p.m. Celebrate community by turning the spotlight on Becker Elementary School’s organic and educational non-profit gardening program, The Becker Green Classroom. There will be ice cream to lick, wine, beer, and Dublin soda to sip, and snacks to eat. All proceeds from Lick’s ice cream and a portion of other sales will benefit the Green Classroom. Plus, the Guy Forsyth Band and Chris Bell, parents of students who attend Becker, will be performing. Raffle tickets will be given to all who contribute to Becker Elementary’s food pantry, which was started by the school’s parents in 2016 to provide snacks for children in need. Items needed include fig bars, popcorn, pretzels, applesauce or other fruit squeezes, granola bars, rice snacks, and Cheerios. FREE! Lenoir, 1807 S 1st St, Austin.
- Community Festival at Downs Field – Saturday from 4-9:00 p.m. Celebrate music, community, African American culture, and fun with Six Square at historic Downs Field. The event will include DJs, live music, food, and fun for kids and families. FREE! Downs-Mabson Fields, 2812 E 12th St, Austin.
- Landmarks Walking Tour – Sunday at 11:00 a.m. Join Landmarks for a docent-led walking tour of works in the public art collection. Meet your docent at Michael Ray Charles’ (Forever Free) Ideas, Languages and Conversations in the Gordon-White Building and learn about how found objects are used in public art projects around campus. Enter the building from the west side off Whitis Avenue. Open to the public and FREE! Tours are held rain or shine; please dress accordingly. Gordon-White Building, 210 W. 24th Street, Austin.
- H-E-B FREE First Sunday – Sunday from noon to 5:00 p.m. Enjoy FREE exhibit admission all day during H-E-B Free First Sundays, held the first Sunday of every month. Explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibitions that showcase artifacts from around the state. Plus, enjoy special exhibits, La Belle: The Ship That Changed History, Pokemon: The Evolution of Electronic Gaming (hands-on play!), and American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition. FREE! The Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Make It Yourself: Folk Art – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Much of the art that decorated American households in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was made by individual artisans, many of whom were self- or informally taught. This Sunday, follow in their footsteps and make your own. Materials will be provided to build and decorate your own whirligig, pinwheel, or buzzer. Folk artists will have a chance to choose from pre-cut shapes or branch out and create their own designs from scratch. While the paint’s drying, test your observational skills on the historic house scavenger hunt, playing heritage games, or grabbing a bite at the outdoor museum cafe. FREE! Neill-Cochran House Museum, 2310 San Gabriel St, Austin.
- Free Day of Yoga – All day Monday. Participating studios across the Austin area will offer FREE classes throughout the day as an opportunity for people of every age and fitness level to try yoga for the first time, experience a new style of yoga, visit a new studio or take a class from a new instructor, share yoga with friends and family, and discover the benefits of yoga. Various times and locations.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Pie in the Sky Hot Air Balloon Festival (Kyle) – Friday from 6-10:30 p.m, Saturday from 6:30-10:30 a.m. and 4-10:30 p.m. Don’t miss the premiere hot air balloon festival in central Texas! Over 25 hot air balloons will illuminate the sky on Friday and Saturday evenings and will float over the Kyle sky Saturday morning. An “All Things Pie” tent including a pie baking contest, pie eating contest, pie baking demonstration, and more, will solidify Kyle’s claim to fame as the “Pie Capital of Texas.” You’ll also be able to enjoy a kid zone, vendors, live music, and other entertainment to make this festival weekend complete. Admission: $5 per person; purchase tickets online. Lake Kyle, 700 Lehman Rd, Kyle.
- Movie in the Park: Moana (Cedar Park) – Friday at 8:00 p.m Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy a movie under the stars. Concessions will not be available, but you are welcome to bring a picnic. Glass containers are prohibited. Admission is FREE! Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
- Family Fun Day at Spring Lake (San Marcos) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Celebrate the last days of summer at this family-friendly event featuring environmental activities and crafts. FREE! The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment, 201 San Marcos Springs Drive, San Marcos.
- Splash Jam (Cedar Park) – Sunday from 5-9:00 p.m. Enjoy live music, food concessions, inflatables, carnival games and rides (fees apply), and fireworks at dark. Admission is FREE! Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss September Events in Austin
- Shop Until You Drop at Wimberley Market Days
- Get Creative with Lady Bird the Owl to Win Epic Prizes! – Final Week to Enter!!!
- Free Fun Calendar