During this FREE fun weekend, you can help set a Guinness World Record, find new ways to explore books with unique storytimes and a book festival, have fun while staying healthy at a free flu shot event, watch a movie in the park, or check out some of the fun activities local farmers markets have to offer! With so many Austin events to choose from, there’s no excuse to be bored!
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin
Brought to you by…
Don’t miss Chalk Walk, October 6 & 7 at Centennial Plaza in Round Rock.
- Movies at Mueller Lake Park: Moana – Friday at 7:00 p.m. Grab your friends, family, and blankets and come for a fun evening under the stars. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 2016 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Schlotzsky’s Day in Austin – Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In honor of Schlotzsky’s 46th birthday celebration, the City of Austin is proclaiming Friday, October 6 as the first “Schlotzsky’s Day.” The weekend-long celebration at Schlotzsky’s South Lamar will include a Guinness World Records attempt for the most contributions to a painting by numbers. That means you can help paint the mural, designed by the “Mayor of Austin Graffiti Art,” Sloke One! This event will feature free food and drink, live music, giveaways, swag, and other surprises. Also, a Schlotzsky’s branded double decker party bus will be picking up participants from all over the city and providing food and drinks, along with a live DJ and surprise celebrity appearances. Follow @Schlotzskys to see where you can get a ride. FREE! Schlotzsky’s South Lamar, 218 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Texas Teen Book Festival – Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. This year’s Festival will feature nationally and critically recognized authors, writing workshops, and workshops for educators. The Texas Teen Book Festival is FREE, open to the public and don’t worry, you don’t have to be a teen to attend. All ages are welcome! St. Edwards University, 3001 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- Family Yoga – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Come out for a FREE family yoga class for all ages and abilities with Bliss Kid Yoga. Look for it near the kids play area. SFC Farmers’ Market Sunset Valley, 3200 Jones Rd, Sunset Valley.
- Ciclovia Dove Springs – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. It’s a party hosted by Bike Austin that allows you to ride and walk in the streets! They will be giving away FREE bicycles and helmets! The first round is at 11 a.m. and the second round is at 1 p.m. Various sizes will be given on a first come first serve basis. You can also enjoy Zumba and dance in the streets. Bring your bikes that are in need of repair and get bicycle safety instruction. FREE! Palo Blanco, 5787 Palo Blanco Ln, Austin.
- BOO the Flu! – Saturday from 11:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. This FREE event is open to the entire Austin/Travis County community. In partnership with several community organizations, they will be offering free flu shots, Blue Santa applications, medical screenings, and fun family activities. There will be approximately 50 community organizations offering some type of service/information. Door prizes include laptops, televisions, bicycles, and so much more. Come for this fun family event! FREE! Travis High School, 1211 E. Oltorf, Austin.
- Monsters Are Our Friends Storytime – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. It’s almost Halloween and BookPeople is preparing for this spooky holiday with some stories about monsters! *AAAH–* No, wait! That might sound scary, but they’re actually here to let you in on a little secret: monsters are your friends. And they’ve got proof! Head to BookPeople to hear Peter Brown’s My Teacher is a Monster! (No I Am Not.) and other great monster tales. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Stories in Song – Saturday at 1:00 p.m. The Austin Children’s Choir is performing a mini concert at Cepeda Branch of Austin Public Library! This season is all about literacy and they will be singing songs that incorporate the works of famous authors and poets. FREE! APL – Cepeda Branch, 651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin.
- Free Admission at the Mexic-Arte Museum – Sunday from noon to 5:00 p.m. In celebration of the 110th Anniversary of Frida Kahlo’s birth, Mexic-Arte Museum pays tribute to the iconic artist through Diego and Frida: A Smile in the Middle of the Way. This exhibition takes an intimate look at the life and relationship between Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, as seen through the lens of some of the most notable photographers of that time. FREE! Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Ave, Austin.
- HOPE Farmers Market & Clothes Swap – Sunday from 11:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m. Head to the HOPE Farmer’s Market for shopping, snacks and fun activities. Plus, swap out gently used clothing, shoes and accessories for something new-to-you. Don’t forget to bring your bags and pals! Admission is FREE! HOPE Farmer’s Market, 412 Comal St, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Chalk Walk (Round Rock) – Friday from 5-10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Round Rock Arts’ goal is to provide a celebration of the arts accessible to all, so admission to Chalk Walk and Festival is FREE. Art is the theme and chalk is the medium. From start to finish, participating artists will create art in full view of the public, who are encouraged to interact with the artists as they use their amazing talents to create beautiful murals. FREE! Centennial Plaza, 301 W Bagdad Ave, Round Rock.
- FREE Flu Shots (Cedar Park) – Saturday at from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Come for your FREE flu shot, ages 4 and up! Provided by Williamson County and Cities Health District. Texas Farmer’s Market at Lakeline Mall, 11200 Lakeline Mall Dr, Cedar Park.
- Williamson County Symphony Orchestra (Round Rock) – Saturday from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. The national award-winning Williamson County Symphony Orchestra will perform a family-friendly concert to start off the 2017-2018 concert season. FREE! Sweet Home Baptist Church, 3200 Sunrise Rd, Round Rock.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Top Spots For Stargazing In And Around Austin
- You Won’t Want To Miss These 30+ FREE Fall Festivals In Austin (And Beyond)!
- It’s TEMPO Time! Don’t Miss These Temporary Outdoor Artworks By Austin Area Artists
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss October Events in Austin
- Free Fun Calendar