It’s here: one of the busiest weekends of one of the busiest months of the year! How do you choose what FREE fun things to do? Let us help! First, be sure to check out our list of Dia de los Muertos events as well as our massive compilation of Halloween and Fall Festivals! Then, look below at our other top family picks for the weekend. Also – parents, check out our FREE Date Nights in Austin for some ideas just for you! You can search for even more free events on our Free Fun in Austin Calendar to find just the right way to bid October a fond, fun, and free farewell!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin
Looking for Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead Celebrations and Fall Festivals / Halloween Events happening this weekend? We’ve got all of the info for you!
- Travis County History Day: Histories and Mysteries – Friday from 10:00 a.m. to noon. Lost treasure, unsolved crimes, haunted buildings, and more – come join us as we find out more about Travis County’s extra-ordinary past. Learn about the serial killer in the 1800s that left the city of Austin in terror, the story behind Austin’s one-of-a-kind moonlight towers, where you might find ghosts lurking around town, and where buried treasure might still be found. It may be spooky, but you won’t want to miss it. Story-telling, food, and giveaways await. Featuring speakers Jeffrey Kerr, J.R. Galloway, and Michael Barnes. A screening of the film The Last of the Moonlight Towers will begin at 11:00 a.m. FREE and open to the public.
Travis County Office in the Hall of Government, 700 Lavaca St, Austin.
- NeighborWoods Tree Giveaway – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Come to the farmer’s market for the first FREE tree giveaway event of the season! There will be more than 1,000 5-gallon sized trees including shade, understory, and fruiting species. Bring your photo ID or utility bill as proof of Austin residency to take a tree home. This event is first come, first served; limit is one tree per person. FREE!
SFC Famers’ Market at Sunset Valley, Toney Burger Activity Center and Stadium, 3200 Jones Road, Austin.
- Blair Woods Family Nature Days: Migration – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Take a trip to Travis Audubon’s Blair Woods Sanctuary for a morning of family nature exploration! Kids will be able to explore the trails, participate in migration-related activities, and learn about bats up close with the Austin Bat Rescue. This event is FREE and open to the public. All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. It is recommend that you wear closed-toe shoes and bring sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, and full bottles of water to stay hydrated. Please remember to pack out what you pack in! FREE!
Blair Woods Preserve, 5401 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin.
- Southwest Key & EAPrep Fall Fest – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Celebrate Southwest Key Program’s 30th Anniversary with the Southwest Key & EAPrep Fall Fest, a community event hosted by Southwest Key and East Austin College Prep! The event will include the unveiling of Fidencio Duran’s latest mural Following the Sun to Reach the Sky, a wonderful portrayal of life at El Centro de Familia. Bring your family to enjoy free food, refreshments, activities for the kids, dance, and musical entertainment. FREE!
Southwest Key Programs, 6002 Jain Ln. Austin.
- Grand Opening of Austin’s New Central Library – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Austin’s incredible new Central Library opens on Saturday, October 28, and everyone is welcome! The grand opening festivities begin at 10:00 a.m., and doors to the library open at 1:00 p.m. There will be live music and fun for the kids until dusk. The building closes at 6:00 p.m. There is no parking at the library for the event — click here for sustainable transportation options, and here for parking options. The celebration is FREE and open to the public.
APL – New Central Library, 710 W. César Chávez St., Austin.
- Viva la Vida 2017 Festival & Parade – Saturday from noon to 8:00 p.m. Mexic-Arte Museum’s Viva La Vida Fest is Austin’s largest and longest-running Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) festival. The festival features a Grand Procession, the Education Pavilion with hands-on art activities and artist demos, a celebration with traditional foods, local artist and retail booths, a low-rider exhibition, live music, and performances throughout the day. This year’s festival will honor Frida Kahlo in conjunction with the autumn exhibit Diego & Frida: A Smile in the Middle of the Way. Admission is FREE!
Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Fall Family Fun Fest (Intergenerational Day) – Saturday from 1-5:00 p.m. This day is dedicated to serving the community and bridging our generations. Attendees can participate in 10 projects that include ‘volunteering on-the-spot’, crafts, and learning about generation relationships. You can stuff a teddy bear for a child in Austin, paint a bowl to support the Empty Bowl Project, decorate a placemat for Meals on Wheels, make kindness rocks, and so much more! There is also a silent auction with the opportunity to bid on items like Southwest Airline tickets, Kendra Scott Jewelry, Riverplace Golf, Falconhead Golf, toys, and more. All proceeds from the auction support holding free intergenerational programs for youth and seniors in the Austin community throughout the year. Fall Family Fun Fest is a FREE event!
The Pavilion at Great Hills, 11819 Pavilion Blvd, Austin.
- White Ghost Shivers & Creative Action Present: The 6th Annual Kids Ball! – Saturday from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The White Ghost Shivers is teaming up with Creative Action again this year to bring you the 6th Annual Kid’s Ball at Central Market North Lamar! This is a family friendly event, in which all are encouraged to dress up and have a good time. Creative Action will provide a variety of interactive activities including costume-making, art stations, music and movement exercises, and a photobooth, from 5 to 7 p.m. White Ghost Shivers will play two sets of spooky tunes from 6 to 8:30 p.m. This event is FREE and open to all!
Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- UMLAUF Last Straw Fest – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In its third year, Last Straw Fest is a tradition for thousands of families across Austin to come together for a full day of fun. The festival will feature pumpkin carving, fall-themed family activities, food trucks, music, and more. Attendees are sure to be amazed by the many scarecrow sculptures created by generous sponsors. This event is FREE and open to the public.
UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- The Fourth 1st Annual Polkapocalyse! – Sunday from noon-5:30 p.m. The FOURTH First Annual POLKAPOCALYPSE! is once again upon us! Four awesome Polka bands will rock the boots off your lederhosen with a crazy mix of Tejano, Czech, German, Polish, Gypsy, and Norteno sounds. This year, there will also be a costume contest. Come dressed in your finest lederhosen/makeup/chicken costume, and make it fun! The audience decides the winner. FREE!
Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 East 44th St, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- 1/2 Off For Early Birds at Sweet Berry Farms Harvest of Fall Fun (Marble Falls) – Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. A visit to Sweet Berry Farms is a fall tradition in this area! They have hayrides, corn mazes, a pumpkin patch, wildflower picking, pumpkin painting, scarecrow painting, barrel trains, and more! Admission is FREE, you only pay for the activities you choose to do. This Saturday, the early birds gets the worm – save 50% off some of the most popular activities with this coupon (valid Saturdays 8:30-9:30 a.m. only). Tip: Credit cards are not accepted, cash and check only.
Sweet Berry Farm, 1801 FM 1980, Marble Falls.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Halloween ComicFest (Cedar Park) – Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free Comics! Candy! Raffles! Costume Contest and MORE! Doors open at 10 a.m. Stop in and pick up free Halloween comics from DC, Marvel, Boom, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, and more! There will also be an all-ages costume contest, artist decorated pumpkin charity raffle, candy giveaway, guest artists, and sales throughout the store! Don’t miss out on this family friendly, FREE event!
Titan Moon Comics, 1540 Cypress Creek Rd, Ste 108, Cedar Park.
- Southwestern University Opera Theatre: An Evening at Maxim’s (Georgetown) – Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. The Sarofim School of Fine Arts’ Music Department is proud to present the Southwestern University Opera Theatre production of “An Evening at Maxim’s.” This performance will feature eight singers and two pianists as they explore myriad situations and emotions through varying and exciting classical works. FREE and open to the public.
Alma Thomas Theater at Southwestern University, 1001 E University Ave, Georgetown.
Love These Free Austin Events? You May Also Be Interested In:
- Indoor, Outdoor, and Out of Trunks! The Best Halloween Events in Austin 2017
- Día De Los Muertos Events In Austin 2017
- Where To Find Pumpkin Patches in Austin And Beyond: 2017 Edition
- You Won’t Want To Miss These 30+ FREE Fall Festivals In Austin (And Beyond)!
- It’s TEMPO Time! Don’t Miss These Temporary Outdoor Artworks By Austin Area Artists
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss October Events in Austin
- Top Spots For Stargazing In And Around Austin