Join the big, yellow Austin Events Calendar in celebrating ten years of promoting local events with a fun, walkable scavenger hunt! The Yellow Calendar Chase will take place at 10 a.m. on Saturday, November 21. The 10 stops on this photo scavenger hunt are walkable from Central Austin near Zilker Park. Think you know everything about the capital city, or want to check out some iconic locations that make Austin such a special place? Grab some friends, your smartphone, and register today. For $10, each participant will receive a 2016 Austin Events Calendar, plus a chance to win some awesome prizes!
Weekend Top 10 FREE Events
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, can you believe it? November is all about feeling grateful and giving back, so if you’d like to start this tradition with your family, check out our list of volunteer opportunities in Austin. If you need a helping hand, be sure to check our list of places that offer free Thanksgiving meals this weekend!
- Mozart’s Annual Light Show – Friday, November 20 – Sunday, November 22 at 6 p.m. Starting 6 p.m. each evening, and replaying at the top of every hour until closing, enjoy dazzling lights set to music! The lights show will happen every night, excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Don’t miss out on all the holiday fun! FREE! Mozart’s Coffee Roasters, 3825 Lake Austin Blvd., Austin.
- Creek Show at Waller Creek – Friday, November 20 – Saturday, November 21 from 6-10 p.m. Creek Show is a way to celebrate Waller Creek and bring awareness to the future transformation coming to the creek, trails, and surrounding parks. During Creek Show, everyone is invited to experience the creek in a safe, fun, family-friendly environment while viewing five light-based art installations designed by local artists, architects, and landscape architects. On Saturday night, the Thinkery will be on hand with kid-friendly activities, from 5-8 p.m. FREE! Along Waller Creek between 5th and 8th St, Austin.
- Boneshaker Family Ride at Slaughter Creek – Saturday, November 21 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. You’re invited to join Boneshaker Project and Bearded Brothers for a FREE family bike ride at Slaughter Creek Trail! Wind through the beautiful trails of Slaughter Creek. All ages are invited to come ride. Please bring your own bikes, however if you’d like to borrow one, you’re welcome to. Please just email [email protected] and let them know what size bike you will need. 9901 FM 1826, Austin.
- Children and Family’s Nature Workshop – Saturday, November 21 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. The purpose of this series is to explore and appreciate nature with children of all ages. Bey Acupuncture seeks to share the sincerity of nature with the community at large, promote a healthy lifestyle, and creative expression. Activities include “The Art of Juicing” from the Juice Land Team, The Wonders of Crystals and Stones by Nature’s Treasures, Kid Yoga with Venus Dever, and more! The event is FREE and open to the public. George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Santa’s Arrival Party at The Arboretum at Great Hills – Saturday, November 21 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. You’re invited to Santa’s Arrival Party! Holiday music and festivities to delight children of all ages from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Santa arrives at noon. This event is FREE and open to the public. The Arboretum, 10000 Research Blvd, Austin.
- East Austin Studio Tour (EAST) – Saturday, November 21 – Sunday, November 22 from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Big Medium presents the 14th East Austin Studio Tour! EAST is a FREE, annual, self-guided art event providing the public with an opportunity to meet the makers: the local artists and artisans who leave a lasting imprint on Austin’s vibrant, dynamic culture. Tour-goers are invited to discover new artistic talent, see working studios, learn about artists’ tools, techniques, and inspirations, and explore unique exhibition spaces and local businesses. There are 400+ participating studios, galleries and exhibition spaces. View the catalog and map to decide where you’d like to go. If you want to check out EAST by bike, try the FREE 2nd Chance Bike EAST Tour and you might win a prize! (This tour is also DIY. See the bike checkpoints map here.)
- Visual Arts Center Family Day – Saturday, November 21 from 12-3 p.m. Students in the Visual Art Studies and Art Education program have organized a day of hands-on and engaging art activities designed around the VAC’s portion of Strange Pilgrims, a multi-site exhibition organized by Heather Pesanti, Senior Curator at The Contemporary Austin. Visitors of all ages are invited to actively engage with the exhibition through activities focused on the processes, concepts and emergent themes of Strange Pilgrims. Enjoy a day full of screen-printing, sound effect imaging, and technology-based activities for the entire family. FREE and open to the public. The VAC is located inside of the Art Building on the UT Austin campus. Parking options include the San Jacinto Parking Garage, located just north of the Art Building and metered street parking on Dean Keeton and San Jacinto. Visual Arts Center, 23rd St and Trinity St, Austin.
- Southpark After Dark – Saturday, November 21 from 7-10 p.m. FREE fun for the entire family at the Grove: Honey Island Swamp Band from New Orleans. Check Facebook for weather updates. Southpark Meadows, 9500 IH-35 South Austin.
- Mr. Johnny’s Kids Club Music Hour – Sunday, November 22 from 10-11 a.m. Sing, dance, jump and shout with Johnny, Sharon, Nick, Amber & the Hoppettes. Shakers, streamers, scarves, rhythm sticks, bubbles, animals (stuffed) and a come to life story on stage each week. Coffee, drinks, snacks, art activities before the show at 9:30 a.m. Bring the kids to experience this historical, magical theater. Convenient free parking next door. Admission is $3 per person, or FREE for Free Fun In Austin readers who reserve a FREE Family Pass and print their tickets in advance! Scottish Rite Theater, 207 W 18th St, Austin.
- Community Art Sunday – Sunday, November 22 from 2-5 p.m. This FREE, family-friendly afternoon is an EAST Select event, and features the exhibit “Reflect the Times: Visions for Social Change”, with work by students, teaching artists, and professional guest artists Puro Chingón Collective and Deborah Esquenazi. Center for Creative Action, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg B, Austin.
- Pfall Pfest Craft Show (Pflugerville) – Saturday, November 21 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. It’s the best place in town to start holiday shopping or find those one-of-a-kind items for a friend, or treat yourself! Handcrafted items, baked goods, jewelry and glassware are just a few of the unique gift items to choose from. Admission is FREE! Pflugerville Recreation Center, 400 Immanuel Road, Pflugerville.
- Christmas Bazaar – Saturday, November 21 from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday, November 22 from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. The place to find unique, handcrafted and popular gifts for most any occasion. After a year hiatus, the Christmas Bazaar is back! Support your local business owners and our faith community by filling your gift, special occasion and holiday shopping needs with goods from our participating vendors.Admission is FREE! St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 10205 N FM 620, Austin.
- A Sami Show (Round Rock) – Saturday, November 21 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday, November 22 from 11 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Holiday arts & crafts market. Admission is $5; kids 12 and under are FREE. Dell Diamond, 3400 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock.
- Makers Harvest at Love Ding – Saturday, November 21 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Celebrate Love Ding’s one year anniversary at their first annual Makers Harvest Pop-Up Shop. Sip on complimentary cider from Texas Keeper Cider, enjoy live music from Ricky Stein and shop local brands including Eva & Monroe, Gypsetter Traveling Boutique, Moira Mackenzie Designs, Necole Designs, Studio by Lauren Jade Lately, The Hip Humanitarian, The Distillery and The Flower Crown Truck. FREE with RSVP. Love Ding, 10516 Manchaca Rd #210, Austin.
Check out our complete list of holiday markets, if you can’t make it to one this weekend!
Not quite free, but still fun:
- Austin Events Calendar Photo Scavenger Hunt and Party – Saturday, November 21 from 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. The chase kickoff will take place in Central Austin, at the northwest corner of W. Riverside and South Lamar. The after party will take place near Zilker Park. Participants will be given an official Clue Guide at the kickoff point. From there, all clue locations are within walking distance. At each stop, each team must upload a photo to a designated site. Prizes will be awarded along the way and at the after party. Must be 21 or older to purchase ticket and be eligible for prizes. At least one member per team must have a smartphone in order to upload images. Wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes. Sorry, no pets allowed. Rain or shine event; no refunds. At least half of the hunt must be completed in order to claim calendars and/or prizes; must be present to claim either. More specific rules and guidelines will be in the Clue Guide. Teams of 2-4 people. $10 per person. Each member receives an “Austin Events Wall Calendar” ($18.99 value) PLUS the party PLUS the chance to win great prizes PLUS surprises. Register your team here. NW corner of W Riverside Dr and S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Austin’s Toy and Comic Show – Saturday, November 21 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. $5 for ages 12 and up; kids under 12 are FREE! Live cosplay and costume contests. Meet the Texas Power Rangers. Free coloring station for kids so parents can shop. Chemical Toy Fare, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
More free fun beyond Austin:
Walkway of Lights (Marble Falls) – Friday, November 20 from 6-10 p.m. It’s the opening night! This event runs nightly through January 1st. If there is a chance of rain for the night you are planning to visit, please look for a weather update at noon on that day. The walkway cannot be turned on when the ground is wet. FREE! Lakeside Park, Buena Vista, Marble Falls.
You may also be interested in:
- 80+ Holiday Happenings in Austin
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Free Thanksgiving Meals in Austin
- Family-Friendly Volunteering Options in Austin
- Santa Sightings in Austin
- … and more on our Free Fun Calendar!