- Planet Music: Middle Eastern – Friday, May 23, from 7 – 9 p.m. Enjoy the May edition of Planet Music, a Middle Eastern-themed event featuring live music by the 1001 Nights Orchestra and dance performances and lessons by Ravaan Persian Dancers and Austin International Folk Dancers. The first half will be a concert medley of Middle Eastern music. The second half will feature a fun, interactive “Beats Class” in between a combination of Middle Eastern and Balkan songs. Family friendly and FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Movies in the Park – Friday, May 23. You have six FREE movies to choose from:
- Movies in the Park: Despicable Me 2 (Leander) – Friday, May 23 at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions are also available. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
Friday Night Films: Meatballs – Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. Alamo Drafthouse presents Meatballs on the lawn at South Shore District. Rated PG. Dinner and snacks will be available for purchase from some of Austin’s favorite food trailers. FREE! South Shore District, 1333 Shore District Dr, Austin.Update: This movie has been canceled due to the rain.
- Movie Night at Arbor Trails: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids – Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. Join Whole Foods Market under the stars at The Shops at Arbor Trails’ green space near the pond for a family night of fun. FREE! Arbor Trails, 4301 W William Cannon Dr, Austin.
- Movie Night at Duchman Winery: Sixteen Candles (Driftwood) – Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. Enjoy good food, great wine, and a classic movie with your loved ones! Lawn chairs, blankets, picnics and furry friends are welcome outside. Concessions will be available. FREE! In the event of inclement weather, the movie will move into the winery event center. Duchman Family Winery, 13308 FM 150 W, Driftwood.
- Movie In The Park: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Friday, May 23 at 8:30 p.m. Remember the old drive-in movies on the big screen? Well, Dittmar Recreation Center is having a “flashback.” This is an opportunity to enjoy Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
on the big screen, in the middle of the park. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs, and snacks. Glass containers and alcoholic beverages are not permitted. Family friendly andFREE , with complimentary popcorn! Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W Dittmar Rd, Austin.Update: Due to the rain, this movie has been postponed until June 6 at 8:30 p.m.
- Family Movie Night at Ski Shores Cafe: The Croods – Friday, May 23 at dusk. Enjoy a movie and FREE s’mores for the kids! 2905 Pearce Rd, Austin.
- Fairytale Threads Children’s Consignment Sale – Friday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, May 24, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. With the weather warming up, now is the perfect time to stock up on summer duds for the kids. There will be maternity clothing, baby gear and toys, and clothing in sizes from newborn to children’s 16. You can also find strollers, highchairs, baby and children’s furniture, books, games, videos, and more. All items marked “reduce” will be 25% off on Friday and 50% off on Saturday. FREE! Austin Sports Center, 425 Woodward St, Austin.
- East End 4th Friday – Friday, May 23 from 5 – 9 p.m. The East End IBIZ District, which runs along East 11th Street and Rosewood Avenue, combines a mix of rich cultural history with newer locally owned businesses, leading it to become one of Austin’s most attractive destinations. Make plans to come out and support your local businesses! You can wander the streets while stopping to enjoy a variety of happy hours, music, discounts and more. Many of the East End IBIZ District business will be offering special promotions and even FREE goodies for attendees. Some of the promotions include a FREE yoga class offered by Eastside Yoga, a FREE tattoo lottery and art gallery happy hour hosted by Hub Tattoo, and a tiny artisan market and tea party with 11% off store-wide put on by Tiny Taiga. Especially for the kids, Kenny Dorham’s Backyard will provide a FREE Kids Corner with FREE books, hands-on art making, East Side Pies pizza and a bounce castle! East End IBIZ District, E 11th St & Rosewood Ave, Austin.
- East Austin Handmade Arts Market – Saturday, May 24, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. The East Austin Handmade Arts Market will feature creations in a wide variety of art mediums, all handmade locally, and appropriate for all ages. The VORTEX Theater, 2307 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Really Really Free Market – Sunday, May 25, from 1 – 3 p.m. It’s like a garage sale, where everything is FREE! Come to the Really Really Free Market this month and enjoy a special mixture of reuse, recycling and community building. There will be tons of clothes… for absolutely FREE! Bring a friend and bring your own bags! Chestnut Community Park, 2207 E 16th St, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
- Austin Area Splash Pads
- Free Pools in Austin
- Community Pools in Austin and Beyond
- Blue Star Museums: Free Admission for Military Families
- 2014 Children’s Day Art Park Schedule
- 2014 Summer Nature Nights Schedule
- 2014 VBS Directory
- 2014 Summer Reading Programs
- Regal Summer Movie Express Schedule
- Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse Schedule
- TOMS Coffee and Community
And be sure to check out our discount guides:
For even more family friendly adventures, check out the Free Fun Calendar!