Summer is sneaking up on us…so this week we are bringing you 10+ FREE ways to get ready! Catch a workout at the Long Center, celebrate the season opening of YMCA’s local pools, meet a few children’s book authors and polish up that summer reading list, or join a musical multi-farm bike tour the likes of which you can only find in Austin. Plus, we have your chance to meet baby Bevo!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Friends of Riverside Block Party – Friday from 11:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m. Celebrate community and enjoy food, games, live music, a bouncy house, face painters, prizes, and more. Neighbors from all over Austin are invited to join the fun. FREE! Graffiti wall behind the businesses at 2015 E Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Community Cinema: Top Gun – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Top Gun. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Plus, stop by the Community Market to check out all the beautiful art and handcrafted products that Community First! residents make in the various micro-enterprise programs at the Village. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash preferred). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins around 8:30 p.m. Reserve your FREE tickets here. A donation of $5 is greatly appreciated. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Big Mega Workout (Ages 12+) – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Attention all boot campers! Leave your weights at home and join Austinites from all over town for a fierce workout utilizing the grounds and architecture of the Long Center. All you need is a mat (or towel), some water, and yourself. If you’ve driven by the Long Center during the week, you’ve probably seen Camp Gladiator members running, jumping, and getting in shape against the best view in Austin. Now is your opportunity to join in on the fun! Ages 12+ only, please. Open to the public and FREE! The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Splash Day at the YMCA – Saturday; times vary by location. Take a break from the Texas heat and join the YMCA of Austin for a Splash Day – the summer opening of all of the Austin branch pools. Each branch will celebrate in its own special way. These community events are open to the public and FREE! Austin YMCA branches. Please note: TownLake location event is canceled due to rain.
Meet Bevo at the Co-op – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Get graduation photos taken with Bevo XV before commencement. DrinkHeyday, Texas Exes, and Tiff’s Treats will also be there. This is a perfect opportunity for grads, families, and any and all Bevo XV fans. Bevo will not be taking pictures on the field this year. FREE! The University Co-op, 2246 Guadalupe St, Austin.Canceled due to rain.
- West Austin Studio Tour – Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Big Medium’s West Austin Studio Tour (WEST) is an annual self-guided art event spanning two weekends in May. The 6th edition of WEST provides opportunities for the public to meet the artists and artisans of Austin in their creative spaces. The 2017 tour includes 331 participants: 172 Artist Studios, 45 Galleries, 92 Temporary Exhibitions, 11 Happenings, 6 Libraries, and 5 Schools. FREE! Multiple venues in Austin.
Ney Day – Saturday from noon to 5:00 p.m. Celebrate Elisabet Ney and her inspirational legacy. There will be lots of live music, activities including sculpting and art demos, food trucks, hula hoopers, technology activities, clay crafting, health screenings, bookmaking, and the public opening of two new temporary outdoor sculptures. Booths from a wide variety of arts and social groups will be present too. Elizabeth McQueen will serve as MC. Admission is FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.Update: Due to impending bad weather, Ney Dey is postponed until June 10.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Roadtrip – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to noon. Kick off the summer season with an awesome reading celebration. Welcome authors Varian Johnson, Jennifer Ziegler, and Jonathan Fenske as part of Scholastic’s Summer Reading Road Trip. Join the crew at BookPeople for arts and crafts, giveaways, author signings, and special appearances from your favorite characters. Admission is FREE! To get a book signed, a copy of the event book must be purchased from BookPeople. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Minor Mishap’s Tour de Broccoli – Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Join Minor Mishap Marching Band in a celebration of urban farms, farmers markets, and Austin’s Food Forest. This special bike tour and pop-up performance series is called Tour de Broccoli! Minor Mishap will begin at Rain Lily Farm, end at the Austin Food Forest, and stop at several amazing spots in between. You are welcome to bike along, or if you prefer, you can meet at any of the pop-up locations along the route. Support Austin’s local farms and recognize the importance of locally grown food in making a strong, sustainable, healthy community. All ages are encouraged to attend. FREE! Multiple venues in Austin.
- Square Dance on the Lawn − Sunday from 5-7:00 p.m. Have a hoot square dancing on the lawn with caller Sharon Isaac and tunes by Cider. No experience or partner necessary. Family friendly and FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Renegade Craft Fair – Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Join Renegade Craft Fair, the world’s largest curated showcase of independent craft and design, for an unforgettable weekend of design, music, food, libations, DIY workshops, and more. There will be more than 125 makers in attendance. Admission to this indoor event is FREE! Fair Market, 1100 E 5th St, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- PBS Kids at the Alamo Drafthouse: Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood – Saturday and Sunday; times vary by location. Reserve your seat for Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood with a donation of $1-5, with all ticket sales benefiting education programs at your local PBS station. This is an all-ages show with Alamo for All rules – all ages are welcome, but cellphones and other devices must stay dark. Multiple Alamo Drafthouse locations.
Bonus Fun for a Good Cause:
- Positive Sounds – Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to midnight. The Positive Sounds event will bring together Austin artists, musicians, businesses, and the local community in support of Project Transitions and the HIV/AIDS community. Admission is FREE but a $5 donation is suggested at the door (or donate an item from their wish list.) Independence Brewing Co, 3913 Todd Ln, Ste 607, Austin.
- 4th Tap into ATXMusic: A Benefit Concert – Sunday from 3-10:00 p.m. A local rock band, brewery, and music tech start-up decided it’s time to give back to a couple Austin non-profits that give so much to our community. Multiple bands have rallied together to donate their performance in order to raise funds for Kids in a New Groove and the SIMS Foundation. Their hope is that true fans will, in turn, donate to these great non-profits while enjoying this special event. Don’t miss this FREE benefit concert hosted by Laurie Gallardo of KUTX with special performances by Dr. Joe, Ray Prim, Fair City Fire, Drew Davis, Fierce Kelly, and Reddening West. All ages welcome. 4th Tap Brewing Cooperative, 10615 Metric Blvd, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Old Town Street Festival (Leander) − Friday from 5-9:00 p.m. and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. The Old Town Street Festival, one of Central Texas’ most popular events, is a fun festival held each spring in downtown Leander’s Old Town District. The event is filled with local and national artisans offering handcrafted creations. Enjoy live Texas music and lots of family-friendly activities. There will a wide selection of food and beverages to purchase. Rick Trevino headlines the 2017 festival. Admission is FREE! Old Town Leander, 100 N Brushy St, Leander.
- Public Viewing at Fountainwood Observatory (Georgetown) − Friday at 8:00 p.m. A variety of telescopes will be available to explore the bright constellations laced with star clusters and nebulae wheel overhead. Physics Department faculty and talented observers from the Williamson County Astronomy Club (WCAC) will also be on hand. For weather-related updates call 512-863-1242. Rain date is May 20th. FREE! Southwestern University, 1001 E University Ave, Georgetown.
- Wonder Woman Celebration (Pflugerville) − Saturday from 1:30-3:00 p.m. Celebrate Wonder Woman before the movie release! Enjoy a story time, lots of crafts, games, and pictures with Wonder Woman. You could win one of several prizes, including movie passes and a 3D printed Wonder Woman. Costumes are encouraged. All ages are welcome. FREE! Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 Pfluger St W, Pflugerville.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Splash Pads in Austin and Beyond
- Children’s Day Art Park 2017 Schedule
- All Summer Long at the Long Center 2017 Schedule
- Exploring Austin Art: Street Art, Murals, & Mosaics, 2017 Edition
- 60+ Austin Area Vacation Bible School (VBS) Programs
- 30+ Don’t Miss Events in Austin This May
- Free Fun Calendar