- SX Create – Friday, March 13 – Sunday, March 15, from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Doing creative and revolutionary things with new technologies embodies the spirit of the SXSW Interactive Festival, and nowhere is this more evident than the diverse mix of activities at SX Create. From 3D printing to drones to biohacking and much more, this community event showcases the disruptive solutions that are shaping our future. Participants include Girlstart, Thinkery, Dremel, Raspberry Pi, and more. FREE with Guest Pass wristbands, available in advance or onsite at the event; kids 12 and under do not need a Guest Pass. The Long Center City Terrace, 701 West Riverside Dr, Austin.
- SXSW Gaming Expo – Friday, March 13 – Sunday, March 15, from 12-8 p.m. Drawing developers, manufacturers, and fans from all facets of the community, the Gaming Expo is the epicenter for gaming culture at SXSW. This diverse range of events combines well-loved elements of geek culture with the cross-console video game world. FREE with Guest Pass wristbands, available in advance or onsite at the event; kids 12 and under do not need a Guest Pass. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Rock The Lot – Friday, March 13 from 4-11 p.m. and Saturday, March 14 from 2-11 p.m. Rock the Lot for music, food, and good times. Rocking out in the shadow of the Congress Avenue bridge during SXSW weekend, performers include: Graham Wilkinson, The Peterson Brothers, Whiskey Shivers, The Crooks, and the Dirty River Boys. Food trucks and tents will be on site with food, locally brewed beer, and other beverages available for purchase. FREE entry on a first-come, first-served basis. All ages welcome. Austin American-Statesman HQ, 305 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- Rodeo Rumble – Saturday, March 14 at 9:30 a.m. Registration opens at 9 a.m. The Rodeo Austin Rodeo Rumble Kid’s 1K Fun Run is a FREE event for children ages 12 and under. Held in Luedecke Arena the first Saturday of the Fair and Rodeo, children get the chance to race on the dirt where the cowboys and cowgirls compete each night! All participants receive a cowbell ribbon and treats! Register here. Travis County Expo Center, 9100 Decker Lake Road, Austin.
- Community Easter Egg Hunt at Metz Recreation Center – Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and participate in activities from 10-11:15 a.m. The Easter Egg Hunt will begin at 11:15 a.m. and will consist of age divisions 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 & 10-12. Call 512-478-8716 with questions. FREE! Metz Recreation Center, 2407 Canterbury Street, Austin.
- Art Free-For-All – Saturday, March 14, from 12-4 p.m. Enjoy a Spring Art Free-for-All at Laguna Gloria! FREE fun for all ages! Check out: Art School demos and art making activities, outdoor YOGA, live MUSIC from Jarebear, food trucks, gelato stand, TEEN fun, TOURS of new sculpture on the grounds, and more! Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th Street, Austin.
- Insurgent Challenges at BAM Academy – Saturday, March 14 at 3:30 p.m. Ages 12+ are invited to test their skills on four Insurgent-inspired challenges. FREE! BAM Academy, 8222 N Lamar Blvd F54, Austin.
- Smart Girls SXSW Party – Saturday, March 14 at 6:45 p.m. Join Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls at Bangers Sausage House & Beer Garden for music, giveaways, and a dance party! FREE and all ages are welcome. Bangers Sausage House & Beer Garden, 79 Rainey Street, Austin.
- St. Patrick’s Day Ceili at Central Market North – Sunday, March 15, from 3-5 p.m. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with traditional Irish music by The Tea Merchants and dancing by The Irish Dance Center. FREE! Central Market North, 4001 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Eco Light Garden – Sunday, March 15 – Saturday, March 21, from 7 p.m. – 2 a.m. Celebrate the intersection between innovative lighting technology and interactive public art. This annual project provides a peaceful escape from the crowd and offers a chance to interact with the latest efficient LED technologies. This year, explore projects from Aerosol Warfare Studios, Barco, Crash Alchemy, Charles Gadeken, Gavvot Productions, Houndstooth, Ink Tank Art Collective, Lumenpulse, and Praxis Creatives. FREE! Republic Square Park, 422 Guadalupe Street, Austin.
Bonus $1 fun:
- Alamo Kids Camp – Saturday, March 14 – Sunday, March 22. Alamo Kids Camp returns to the Slaughter, Village and Lakeline Alamo Drafthouse locations this Spring Break! Admission to each film is $1 per person, which will be donated to one of three local nonprofits: Multicultural Refugee Coalition (Village), Any Baby Can (Slaughter), and Literacy Coalition of Central Texas (Lakeline). Click here for showtimes.
Free concerts in the ‘burbs:
- WCSO March Madness Concert – Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14. While the nation is into Basketball March Madness, the Orchestra’s “March Madness” concert will focus on the “March” style of music. Across the spectrum of music, listeners will be surprised by the versatility of this musical form of composition. Family friendly and FREE! Friday, March 13 at 7:30 p.m. – First United Methodist Church, 1004 N Mays St, Round Rock. Saturday, March 14 at 7:30 p.m. – Klett Performing Arts Center, 2211 N Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Just Between Friends Consignment Event (Round Rock) – Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. On Friday, admission is $5 or FREE with the coupon on their Facebook page. Saturday is FREE for all and many items will be half price. Old Settlers Association, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Rockin’ Dudz Consignment Event – Friday, March 13, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Buy gently-used merchandise in excellent condition! The Public Sale is FREE and open to everyone! Many items on Saturday will be marked 50% off. Frank Fickett Scout Conference and Event Center, 12500 N IH 35, Austin.
- Surf by Surf East – Saturday, March 14, from 12-7:30 p.m. Make a splash in the backyard of The VORTEX for a celebration with over 30 local artist / entrepreneurs, as well as 10 Texas Surf Rock Bands! This is a FREE show for all ages! It’s all part of the uniquely Austin relaxed outdoor shopping experience of local artisans known as The East Austin Handmade Arts Market at The Vortex, which features creations in a wide variety of mediums, all handmade and appropriate for all ages! The Butterfly Bar Austin will provide a pipeline of fine beverages all day. There is lots of convenient parking, it is on an easy bus route, and pets are also welcome. The VORTEX Theater, 2307 Manor Rd, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.