It’s Father’s Day weekend, so make plans to take Dad out on the town. Here’s the scoop on the best free fun happening in Austin this weekend, from an RC airshow to a free concert in Zilker Park!
- Heartsong Music Demo Classes (RSVP) – Friday and Saturday. Support your child’s development with Music Together. Parents and caregivers are invited to attend a FREE demo class to experience this rich, research-based music and movement program. You will connect with your child, meet new friends, and learn fun ways to support your child’s development with music. View class schedule and reserve your FREE spot here. Heartsong Music, 2700 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Shakespeare at Ramsey Park: The Winter’s Tale – Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m. The annual tradition of Shakespeare at Ramsey Park continues in 2016 with William Shakespeare’s lovely fairytale, The Winter’s Tale, produced with minimal props, costumes, and lighting, focusing on storytelling and the wonderful language of Shakespeare. Family friendly and FREE! Ramsey Park, 4301 Rosedale Ave, Austin.
- Ride the Lightning Electric Flight Event – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. What could be more fun for kids than an RC airshow where Snoopy’s giant flying doghouse goes up against the Red Baron and some of the biggest electric RC planes in Texas fly around!? You’ll see some giant scale electric planes–with wingspans of 7+ feet–fly, like the F4U Corsair, P38 Lightning, P51D Mustang and the civilian Cirrus SR22-T. Plus, talk to some ARCA instructors about scheduling a FREE “discovery flight” for anyone 8 years or older. This is an all day event and pilots will fly until dark. Concessions will be available for purchase from 11:00 am-3:00 pm. Admission and parking are FREE! Austin Radio Control Association, 8705 Lindell Ln, Austin.
- TEMPO Opening and Environmental Day Celebration – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Artist Mery Godigna Collet’s temporary land art installation, Let’s Talk in Volume, will be on display in the courtyard of the ESB-MACC from June 18 to November 25, 2016. Experience the opening of this temporary art installation in conjunction with a family-friendly celebration of World Environmental Day. Artist Seph Itz will demonstrate how to crochet with recycled plastic materials, Horizontes DJ Michael Crockett will provide music, and light refreshments will be served. FREE! Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River St, Austin.
- World Refugee Day – Saturday from 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Commemorate the United Nations’ World Refugee Day at the Bullock Museum with a naturalization ceremony, free samples of world cuisine, live music and performances, and activities for families with kids ages 6 and up. FREE! Exhibit admission is not included. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N Congress Ave, Austin.
- Splish Splash Pool Bash – Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. Why not try out a new place to cool off this summer? At the TownLake Y, the Olympic-sized pool is normally used for lap swimmers, swim lessons, group exercise classes, and various lifeguarding certification courses, but not on this Saturday. They are opening up the lanes and hosting a Splish Splash Pool Bash. There will be food, pool games, beach balls, music, noodle races, snow cones, and more. This family friendly event is open to the public and FREE! All ages are welcome. TownLake YMCA, 1100 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- A Day for Dads – Saturday from 1-5:00 p.m. “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.” With this spirit in their hearts, Independence Brewing Co. created a special Day for Dads at the brewery. All are welcome. Dads will be celebrated with flights with Redbird Flight Simulators, raffle prizes, hair and beard trims, and music by Kathy & the Kilowatts. FREE! Independence Brewing Co, 3913 Todd Ln, Austin.
- 2ND Street Soundcheck – Saturday from 1-8:00 p.m. 2ND Street Soundcheck is the locals’ kickoff party to Austin’s Month of music featuring more than twenty artists and dozens of options for food, drinks, shopping, and more. This family-friendly event will offer fun opportunities for kids including a Kids’ Dance Zone. FREE; however, all music lovers attending the event are encouraged to give a $5 donation going directly to the beneficiaries, KUTX and the Austin Music Foundation. 2nd Street between San Antonio and Colorado Streets.
- Father’s Day Concert in the Park – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Celebrate Dad with marches, patriotic melodies, and other festive works – selections that will have Dad’s toes tappin’ – as well as your own. Bring a picnic basket and spread out on a blanket under the pecan trees. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theatre, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Concerts in the Park: Big Band – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” will return to the Long Center for a 14th season of FREE ensemble concerts on summer Sunday evenings. Each week, a different ensemble will be featured, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. Long Center Terrace, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
Special Juneteenth Events:
- Juneteenth Celebration at ACC – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Join the annual Sounds of Freedom celebration at the Eastview Campus. Community members and students will enjoy live entertainment, games, vendor booths, a domino tournament, and college information. The event is FREE and open to all. View the full event schedule here. ACC Eastview Campus, 3401 Webberville Rd, Austin.
- Juneteenth Emancipation Parade and Park Celebration – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. The Parade will begin at the intersection of MLK and Comal streets. The route will continue along Chicon and will conclude at Rosewood Park, where there will be a celebration from noon to 8:00 p.m. with entertainment, food, and vendors. FREE! Rosewood Park, 2300 Rosewood Ave, Austin.
- Juneteenth: Art Is Cool. Art Is Freedom. – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Commemorate Juneteenth 2016 with a puppet show, a performance by Abundant Life dance troupe, music by DJ Mahelani, and more. FREE! APL – Carver Branch, 1161 Angelina St, Austin.
- Juneteenth Celebration – Saturday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. The Carver’s Juneteenth Celebration will feature live music, crafts and activities for kids, food, a marketplace with vendors, character interpretations, and more. Admission is FREE! George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin, Texas 78702
- Give Voice to Freedom: Black Literature Out Loud – Saturday from 2-4:00 p.m. Do you have a favorite folktale, poem, speech, or writing that speaks to the topic of freedom in the black community? Come and read a selection aloud from the Carver African American Special Collection in the spirit of Juneteenth. Each reader will have up to 15 minutes total time to read. All ages are welcome to read and attend. FREE! APL – Carver Branch, 1161 Angelina St, Austin.
- Juneteenth Rhythm & Ribs Festival (Round Rock) – Saturday from 2-10:00 p.m. Enjoy music performances, a health fair, moonwalks, clowns, games, food, retail vendors, and more. Admission is FREE! Old Settlers Park, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Art is Cool Exhibit: Juneteenth Celebration (RSVP) – Saturday from 6-10:00 p.m. Experience a visual gallery featuring the work of seven dynamic artists whose works continue to reflect the rich heritage of the African American experience. Mingle with artists and enjoy some of the traditional foods of Juneteenth including local favorites such as Franklin BBQ and Niella Catering (while supplies last). Enjoy lovely jazz vibes from Austin’s best, Kristin Trotty and Friends. All ages welcome. FREE with RSVP. A beautiful print from each artist will be raffled for only $1. Dedrick Hamilton House, 912 E 11th St, Austin.
Nearly Free Fun:
Woodland Faerie Trail – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. The award-winning, 4th annual Woodland Faerie Trail features faerie homes and gardens created by Austin area gardeners, architects, artisans, businesses, clubs, families, and school groups. FREE with Garden admission, which is $1-3 (for ages 3+). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
- Laugh Away Hunger – Father’s Day Edition – Saturday at 6:00 p.m. Honor Dad and help fight hunger in our community as some of Austin’s funniest improvisors band together to perform in this family-friendly show. Similar to the popular TV series, “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” improvisors will perform scenes based entirely on audience suggestions. The show starts at 7:00 p.m. with food trucks serving food beginning at 6:00 p.m. Admission is FREE with a donation of non-perishable food or hygiene items or HEB Gift Cards to benefit Feed the Community. Gateway Community Church, 7104 McNeil Dr, Austin.
- Father’s Day Austin Flea Party – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The Flea features all local handmade items and vintage wares from some of Austin’s most amazing and talented vendors. Find one-of-a-kind gifts for any occasion including jewelry, bath/body products, vintage, original artwork, paper goods, textiles, and so much more. Handmade. Vintage. Local. Admission is FREE and open to all ages. 4th Tap Brewing Co-Op, 10615 Metric Blvd, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Music On the Square (Georgetown) – Friday at 6:30 p.m. The “Most Beautiful Town Square in Texas” will be the stage for FREE weekly Friday night concerts featuring regional musicians from June through August. Bring chairs or a blanket and beverages to enjoy music from Blue Vibe. Georgetown Square.
- Movie in the Park: Jurassic World (Hutto) – Friday at 8:45 p.m. Bring your chairs, blankets, coolers, and popcorn to enjoy a movie under the stars. Rated PG-13. FREE! Fritz Park, 400 Park Ave, Hutto.
- Star Party (Cedar Park) – Friday at 9:00 p.m. Star gaze on a state-of-the art computer guided telescope. View through the telescope, take telescope assisted photos with your smartphone, and learn major stars and constellation positions along with the planets and moons. Learn how to read a star map, and much more. Weather permitting. FREE! Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220, Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- Sing Along Saturday Movie Matinee: The Wizard of Oz (Pflugerville) – Saturday at 1:30 p.m. Spend a Saturday singing along to a favorite movie musical. Rated G. FREE! Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 W Pfluger St, Pflugerville.
- Dive-In Movie: Dolphin Tale (Georgetown) – Saturday at 7:45 p.m. Bring your own flotation device (must be smaller than 4ft). FREE with regular pool admission ($1-3).Williams Drive Pool, 3201 Williams Dr, Georgetown.
- Dads Gone Wild Car and Motorcycle Show (Leander) – Sunday from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. This is a fun Father’s Day Show for children and fathers of all ages. This car show is open to the public with any car class you can imagine. Enjoy live music and free breakfast, plus fathers get a free t-shirt. Plus, many door prizes are handed out during the awards presentation. FREE! RockPointe Church, 1070 County Road 177, Leander.
- Father’s Day Special (Round Rock) – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. To thank fathers for all that they do to, stop in to Safari Champ for some extra special Daddy Care while the kids play. Dads get a FREE and delicious protein shake (any flavored smoothie with a protein boost) and can enter to win $25 gift card to Jack Allen’s Kitchen. $3 admission per child to play all day. (Dads, of course, are always free!) Safari Champ, 1400 E Old Settlers Blvd # 200, Round Rock.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Summer Fun Guide
- Cool Pools in Austin
- 60+ Vacation Bible School Programs
- 30+ Free Things to do in June
- Summer Reading Programs in Austin
- 75+ Free Things to do in Austin This Summer
- Austin Splash Pad Schedules
- Free Fun Calendar