- Austin Duck Derby Kick-off Party – Friday from 5-8:00 p.m. The 3rd Annual Austin Duck Derby (August 8th) will feature 15,000 adopted yellow rubber ducks launched into the Lady Bird Lake, racing to the finish line to win a slew of fabulous prizes their adopters. Friday’s family-friendly kick-off party will feature live music from Rolando Perez of S7VEN Jazz, face painting, duck adoptions, giveaways, and more. Party is FREE! Duck adoptions will be available for $5. Proceeds from every duck adopted will benefit the Austin Boys and Girls Clubs of The Austin Area. Whole Foods – The Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- Republic of Texas Biker Rally Parade and Free Concert – Friday from 7:45 p.m. to midnight. Motorcycles will travel 11 miles from the Travis County Expo Center to downtown Austin, down Congress Ave. from 11th street to the river, then turn around and go back North, so you can see the bikes from both sides of the road. After the bikes are completely parked, you will be able to walk down Congress and get a closer view of the motorcycles and the concert will begin. FREE! Congress Avenue Downtown.
- Austin Civic Orchestra: Oscar Winners – Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m. The ACO will once again present its annual FREE Pops Concert, featuring music from Oscar-winning motion pictures. Listen as the wondrous sounds from films such as Frozen, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, and many more fill the park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin
- National Trails Day – All day Saturday. Join Austin Parks Foundation, Hill Country Conservancy, and Texas Conservation Corps for National Trails Day. Volunteer to complete trail work, join an educational guided hike, or help improve some of Austin’s trails and green spaces. Check out the full list of projects to find one that’s right for you. FREE! Locations all over Austin.
- Taste of North Austin – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. This all-day food festival will feature FREE live music and children’s activities including face painting, balloon twisting, fun with Springfree Trampolines, and more. (Food samplings will require wristband purchase.) The Domain, 11410 Century Oaks Terrace, Austin.
- Big Czechs, Little Czechs – Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. Enjoy a day of Texas Czech activities for children focused on food, language, kroj, music, and genealogy. Hands-on activities will explore the Czech influence on contemporary Texas culture. Children can make a family tree, play an accordion, learn Czech words and phrases, try on kroj (costumes), make kolaches from Playdough, polka dance, and meet Miss Czech Slovak US Pageant winner Monika Cavanaugh. Families can also view the exhibition Texas Czechs: Rooted in Tradition, on display at the CVC through June 19th. FREE! Texas Capitol Visitors Center, 112 E 11th St, Austin.
- Summer Free Family Film Series: The AristoCats – Saturday at 2:00 p.m. See the 1970 Disney animated classic The Aristocats in 35mm. With the help of a smooth-talking tom cat, a family of abducted Parisian felines must make it home to claim their rightful inheritance. Rated G. All seats are available on a first come first served basis. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N Congress Ave, Austin.
- Family Day at the UMLAUF – Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Explore the collection; create art; listen to stories; practice yoga; watch sculpture demos; and sing-a-long with Armstrong Community Music School. FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Austin Family Classical Concert: Music for 1,000 – Sunday at 5:00 p.m. There will be a great variety of music, including a delicious set of pieces for violin and cello by Gliere and a tango for piano trio by Piazzolla. This concert is the perfect first classical music concert experience for young children. A quiet activity will be provided for those who may need something to keep hands busy, and the concert will begin with a very short talk: “A Beginner’s Guide to Attending Classical Concerts With Your Children.” After the performance, the audience is welcome to go on stage to look at the instruments and talk with the performers. Admission is FREE, but donations will be accepted to help with the costs of production. Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Concerts in the Park: Woodwinds – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” will return to the Long Center for a 14th season of FREE ensemble concerts on summer Sunday evenings. Each week, a different ensemble will be featured, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. Long Center Terrace, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
Woodland Faerie Trail – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. The award-winning, 4th annual Woodland Faerie Trail features faerie homes and gardens created by Austin area gardeners, architects, artisans, businesses, clubs, families, and school groups. FREE with Garden admission, which is $1-3 (for ages 3+). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- PBS Kids at the Alamo: Nature Cat – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. (Lakeline) and Sunday at 10:20 a.m. (Slaughter). The Alamo Drafthouse and our local PBS station are teaming up for a family screening of PBS KIDS’ latest show, along with themed activities and giveaways. Enjoy three episodes from the new show on the big screen (including a sneak peak at two brand new episodes). This is an all-ages show with Baby Day rules – noisy young fans won’t be asked to leave the theater. Purchase tickets online for a $1-$3 donation. Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin and Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter, 5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Music On the Square (Georgetown) – Friday at 6:30 p.m. The “Most Beautiful Town Square in Texas” will be the stage for FREE weekly Friday night concerts featuring regional musicians from June through August. Bring chairs or a blanket and beverages to enjoy music from Mr. Thrill. Georgetown Square.
- Music In The Park: Crystal Yates (Pflugerville) – Friday at 7:30 p.m. The opening concert of the 2016 outdoor concert series features Crystal Yates, a Dove and ASCAP award-nominated songwriter and Winner of the 2014 Texaco Country Showdown. Bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnic baskets, friends, and neighbors for a FREE evening of music, entertainment, and relaxation. Food will be available for purchase. Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Rd, Pflugerville.
- Star Party (Cedar Park) – Friday at 9:00 p.m. Star gaze on a state-of-the art computer guided telescope. View through the telescope, take telescope assisted photos with your smartphone, and learn major stars and constellation positions along with the planets and moons. Learn how to read a star map, and much more. Weather permitting. FREE! Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220, Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- Hands on History (Georgetown) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Children can get up close and personal with the history of Williamson County, learn something new, and create their own artifacts. Ever wanted to learn to make shoes? Come be a cobbler. FREE! Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: Dawn & Hawkes (Bee Cave) – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Browse the vendors, order to-go food and have it delivered to your spot on the lawn, and enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors. FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Summer Fun Guide
- Cool Pools in Austin
- 60+ Vacation Bible School Programs
- 30+ Free Things to do in June
- Summer Reading Programs in Austin
- 75+ Free Things to do in Austin This Summer
- Austin Splash Pad Schedules
- Free Fun Calendar