- Alamo Kids Camp – Friday, June 27, Saturday, June 28, and Sunday, June 29. Showtimes vary. See Space Jam (Slaughter Lane), Curious George (Village), or Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole (Lakeline). All Alamo Kids Camp screenings are FREE! Tickets are available at the box office on the day of the show, and seating is first come, first served. Only children age 3 and up are permitted to attend. Participating locations: Alamo Slaughter Lane, 5701 W. Slaughter Lane, Austin; Alamo Drafthouse Village, 2700 West Anderson Ln, Austin, and Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin.
- Music for Littles – Friday, June 27 and Saturday, June 28. Kick off your weekend with a FREE concert for kids! Choose from:
Northwest Rec Center’s Annual Summer Carnival – Friday, June 27 from 2-4 p.m. Games will be messy; please wear clothes that you do not mind getting dirty. All ages welcome. First 10 tickets are FREE! 25¢ for each additional ticket. Northwest Rec Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
Friday Family Fun Night: The Zoo Show (Round Rock) – Friday, June 27 at 6:30 p.m. Kaleidoscope Toys will host The Michael Hick’s Zoo Show, a traveling interactive animal show from the Capital of Texas Zoo. Admission is FREE with one food item donation per person, for the Round Rock Area Serving Center. Kaleidoscope Toys, 110 N IH 35, Ste 375, Round Rock.
Friday Night Films: Weird Science – Friday, June 27 at 8 p.m. Grab a seat and join South Shore District for this FREE screening on the lawn. The Peached Tortilla will be on-site for food and beverage purchases. Presented by Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, so you know it’s gonna be awesome. Weird Science (1985) is rated PG-13. South Shore District, 1333 Shore District Dr, Austin.
Romeo and Juliet (Round Rock) – Friday, June 27 and Saturday, June 28 at 8 p.m. Penfold in the Park’s Romeo & Juliet takes place in the amphitheater of the Centennial Plaza. Audiences are welcome to arrive early with their own food and drink, or to purchase it from the concessions tent. For middle school ages and up. Arrive early for a pre-show, starting at 7:30 p.m. FREE but donations are appreciated. This is the final weekend to see the play! Round Rock Amphitheater, 301 W Bagdad Ave, Round Rock.
Music for Wilderness Lake – Friday, June 27 at 8:15 p.m. (dusk) and Saturday, June 28 at 6:30 a.m. (dawn). Twelve trombonists positioned around the lagoon play meditative music across the water to one another at dusk while the music is cued via flags from a raft in the lagoon. Music for Wilderness Lake, a piece of environmental music written by Canadian composer and sound theorist R. Murray Schafer, explores the natural soundscape present at these transformative times of day. The trombonists will also perform a companion work alongside the outdoor sculptural commission by Orly Genger. FREE! Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th St, Austin.
Big Don Kids Show – Saturday, June 28 at 10 a.m. Enjoy a FREE show for kids with this local Hip Hop hero! Read about Catherine’s experience at one of these Saturday morning shows here. FREE! Strange Brew, Lounge Side,
- Biscuit Brothers (Round Rock) – Friday, June 27 at 10 a.m. Local musicians and stars of the Emmy Award-winning PBS children’s program The Biscuit Brothers play a FREE concert as part of the Round Rock Public Library’s Summer Reading Program. All ages are welcome. Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Gina Chavez – Friday, June 27 at 11 a.m. Have younger kids? This music program is geared to the young or young at heart. Bring your toddlers and preschoolers and dance the morning away with Indie Latin-folk Songstress Gina Chavez. Seating is limited at all programs. Please arrive a few minutes early to gain entrance. All ages welcome. FREE! APL – Terrazas Branch, 1105 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Lucas Miller – Saturday, June 28 at 2 p.m. For ages 5 and up. Seating is limited at all programs. Please arrive a few minutes early to gain entrance. Note that in some locations, free tickets (available in the branch on the day of the program) will be required for admittance in order to ensure safety. FREE! Yarborough Branch, 2200 Hancock Drive, Austin.
5326 Manchaca Road, Austin.
Wild Goose Chase Theater Performance (Bee Cave) – Saturday, June 28 at 10:30 a.m. Visiting from Nashville, A WILD GOOSE CHASE! takes audience members to a world filled with dancing pants, mischievous spaceships, adventurous meatballs, and many more whimsical images. Poetry springs hilariously to life as soon as Mark Sandbank’s shadow puppets hit the screen! Great for all ages! FREE! Bee Cave Public Library, 4000 Galleria Pkwy, Bee Cave.
Hill Country Galleria Independence Day Festival (Bee Cave) – Saturday, June 28, from 4 p.m. – midnight. Shop more than 75 art vendors and enjoy family fun! Live music includes: Live music includes the Lost and Nameless Orchestra (4:15 p.m.), Dale Watson & His Lone Stars (5:30 p.m.), Mayeux and Broussard (7 p.m.), Residual Kid (8 p.m.), Minor Mishap Marching Band (8:45 p.m.), and Quiet Company (9:30 p.m.). There will be two fireworks shows: a kids’ show at 9 p.m. and “the best firework show in Central Texas” at 11:00 p.m. Admission and parking for the festival are FREE! Hill Country Galleria (directions), 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
And one bonus nearly free event:
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
- Deep Eddy Movie Night: Frozen – Saturday, June 28 at dusk. Join Deep Eddy Pool with your floats and favorite beach towel to enjoy a truly unique movie experience with movies beginning at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m). Sponsored by Alamo Drafthouse. FREE with pool admission ($1-$4). For additional information, please call (512) 472-8546. Deep Eddy Pool, 401 Deep Eddy Drive, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
Be sure to check our Free Fun Calendar for even more events happening around town this weekend!