This FREE fun weekend is all about the stars! You can watch a musical under the stars, let your inner superstar shine at an open mic or a karaoke event, and join The Austin Astronomical Society for an educational evening under the starry skies. There’s also art, music, superhero fun, the last purple martin parties of the year, and a block party featuring Big Don!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Free Admission to the UMLAUF – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4:00 p.m. Thanks to generous donors from Amplify Austin, admission is FREE through August 31, 2017. Take advantage of this opportunity to check out the current exhibit, Mentoring a Muse: Charles Umlauf and Farrah Fawcett, which runs through August 20. This groundbreaking exploration of the lifelong artistic friendship between Charles Umlauf and his most famous student, Farrah Fawcett, features never-before-seen work made by both artists. Plus, kids can participate in a fun, FREE sculpture safari during your visit. UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Purple Martin Party: Final Weekend! – Friday and Saturday from 8-9:30 p.m. Watch an acrobatic hurricane of birds as hundreds of thousands of purple martins “swirl” in the skies in and around the roosting site each evening. It’s better than the bats! This year, hundreds of thousands of birds will be at Texas Land & Cattle at the junction of I-35/290 around sunset. Please park on Clayton Lane and not the restaurant’s parking lot. Texas Land & Cattle is offering a free appetizer to each party who has dinner and mentions that they are there for the Purple Martins. Habesha, the Ethiopian Restaurant immediately north of Texas Land & Cattle, is offering dessert to each party who dines at their restaurant and specifically mentions that they are there for the Purple Martins. Lawn chairs, picnic blankets, cameras, and hats are highly recommended. Binoculars are optional. Read about Emily’s experience here. FREE! Texas Land & Cattle, 6007 I-35, Austin.
- Zilker Summer Musical: The Wizard of Oz – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 8:15 p.m. For more than a century, The Wizard of Oz has enchanted readers, theater, and movie goers alike. Now, Zilker Theater Productions will bring this cultural treasure to the historic, outdoor theater at The Zilker Hillside. This summer, the ZTP team looks forward to welcoming over 45,000+ Hillside audience members to follow the yellow brick road “over the rainbow.” ZTP’s The Wizard of Oz is FREE to the public (donations gratefully accepted) during its six-week run. The “curtain” goes up right around dusk at 8:15 p.m., but arrive early with your low-backed chairs and blankets to get your spot. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2206 William Barton Dr, Austin.
- Imagine That’s Anniversary Celebration – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Imagine That is celebrating their first anniversary and would like to thank all of their friends, family and customers who have supported them all year long. At this FREE event, there will be different art projects available for adults and kids, including making pieces for a giant puzzle they’ll be hanging in their space temporarily and supplies to make “kindness rocks.” Neighbors from Texas Go Freezee will be selling snow cones to keep you cool! There will also be FREE food, drinks and giveaways along with discounted t-shirts, class packs, etc. Imagine That – Art Space, 2110 B White Horse Trail, Austin.
- Superhero Storytime – Saturday at 11:00 a.m. Superheroes have to get up in the morning, go to school, and have a bedtime–just like you! Read about turning everyday situations into amazing super adventures. Kids, come dressed as your favorite superhero, villain, or character to show your fandom. Activities to follow. FREE! Your local Barnes and Noble store.
- Read It, Sing It, Let Us Hear It – Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. You bring the talent, the library provides the mic and PA. Creatives, from beginner to advanced, are invited to share acoustic music, poetry, comedy, improv, theater, or performance art. Sign-up starts at noon. There are nine 15-minute slots with 5 minutes between. First come, first serve. Performances must be appropriate for a library setting. FREE! APL – Carver Branch, 1161 Angelina St, Austin.
- Austin Under the Stars – Saturday from 6:00 p.m. to midnight. The Austin Astronomical Society (AAS), in collaboration with St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, brings to the public Austin Under the Stars (AUTS), designed to bring the spectacles of the night sky to the Austin community. The event will kick off with amateur astronomers from the AAS providing safe solar viewing, moving into darker sky observing once the sun sets. Also back this year by popular demand are micro-talks on astronomy as well as activities for our young astronomers. Joining AUTS for the tenth year in a row are the folks of the Texas Museum of Science and Technology, who will be on hand to provide shows in their mobile planetarium, and answer questions about the their latest exhibits and shows. Bring the entire family and a blanket for an evening under the stars! FREE! St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, 6500 St Stephens Dr, Austin.
- Kids Block Party with Big Don – Sunday from noon to 4:00 p.m. Come to the Moontower Saloon’s big outdoor space for a fun afternoon! Activities include face painting, bounce house, bubble art, kids yoga on the lawn (bring your mat) and more! Then, enjoy a performance by Big Don – an Austin favorite! Donate new school supplies to receive a ticket for a free sno-cone. FREE with RSVP! Moontower Saloon, 10212 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Bring the Sing Karaoke – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Calling all future Bellas and their embarrassing parents! Take over the Barrel O’ Fun for onstage karaoke with a full catalog of more than 8,000 songs. There will be props to take it to the next level and onstage challenges for the very brave of heart. If you’ve dreamed of being in Pitch Perfect or killing it at the school talent show, this party is for you. Kids 13 and under must be accompanied by a parent but teens are welcome to come solo. FREE! Barrel O’ Fun, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Concerts in the Park: Brass – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. In its 15th summer season, these ensemble concerts take place in the Hartman Concert Park in front of the Long Center City Terrace. Each Sunday a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured, this week, enjoy a Brass performance. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE! The Long Center Terrace/Hartman Concert Park, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Giveaway: Back to School Boot Camp with Camp Fun Brain
- 5 FREE Things to Do in Round Rock
- FREE Don’t Miss August Events in Austin
- 2017 Guide to Summer Fun in Austin
- 100+ Summer Adventures Checklist
- Get Creative with Lady Bird the Owl to Win Epic Summer Prizes!
- Free Fun Calendar
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.