Weekend Top 10 FREE Events in Austin:
- Kids Workshop: Valentines Mailbox (RSVP) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Each kid attending this hands-on workshop will build a wooden mailbox to hold Valentine cards from their favorite friends. After the mailbox is built, children can personalize their projects with paint. All kids get to keep their crafts, receive a certificate of achievement, a workshop apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Reserve your child’s FREE spot here. Your local Home Depot store.
- 2nd Annual Food+City Challenge Prize Showcase Day – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Witness the finale of the Food+City Challenge Prize, a competition among business start-ups encouraging innovative ideas to improve the urban food system. More than 20 finalists from across the world will convene in Austin to present their business ideas before a panel of judges and attendees. Everyone is encouraged to vote in the People’s Choice Award for their favorite new food business finalist. Food and drink samples from local businesses such as 512 Brewery, Wholy Bagel, Tiff’s Treats, and Snap Kitchen will be on hand. FREE! McCombs School of Business, 2110 Speedway Ave, Austin.
- 9th Annual Puppy Bowl – Saturday from Noon to 2:00 p.m. This Super Bowl-themed, family-friendly community event features AHS adoptable puppies dressed in uniform, as well as some kitten cheerleaders. Outside in the tailgating area will be a food truck, local vendors and businesses, your favorite tailgating games like corn-hole and giant jenga, face painting, children’s activities, and tunes provided by DJ Mike Swing. Down in the “Endzone,” South Austin Brewery will keep the adults hydrated and a convertible Mazda Miata will be up for raffle. FREE! Austin Humane Society, 124 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Kite-Making Workshop – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Get a head start on making your custom kite to fly at the upcoming Zilker Kite Festival. Materials and instruction will be provided courtesy of Communities in Schools and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. FREE! AB Cantu/Pan American Recreation Center, 2100 E 3rd St, Austin.
- Public Art Tour: NYC in ATX – Sunday at 11:00 a.m. Escape the chilly winter temperatures and join Landmarks, the public art program of The University of Texas at Austin, for a docent-led tour of art in Bass Concert Hall on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The collection features striking examples of postwar and contemporary sculpture from influential artists such as Magdalena Abakanowicz and Ursula von Rydingsvard. FREE! Bass Concert Hall, 2350 Robert Dedman Dr, Austin.
- Weatherfest at the Bullock Museum – Sunday from Noon to 3:00 p.m. Enjoy hands-on science experiments, weather-related films and panel discussions, and family-friendly activities presented by Girlstart. Meet your favorite local meteorologists, and more. Activities are from 12-3:00 p.m., but the Museum will be open until 5:00 p.m. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Valentine’s Craft at Terra Toys – Sunday from 1-3:00 p.m. Why make a Valentine out of construction paper when you could color and decorate a hand-cut wooden heart? All materials are provided by the store–from markers to glitter and beads, stickers, stamps, and more. Get ready to make a beautiful Valentine’s day gift for someone special. All ages welcome. FREE! Terra Toys, 2438 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Sunday Funday: Pop Up Books – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Movable image books date back at least to the 18th century, but they were not mass produced until 1930. By designing and building your own pop up, you’ll get to think a little bit about the know-how it took to bring these familiar childhood books into our homes and lives. Throughout the afternoon, the historic house will be open for informal and self-guided tours. For those who wish to look more closely and carefully at some of the details of the architecture and historic furnishings, there will also be a museum scavenger hunt (appropriate for ages 7-11). Weather permitting, snacks and lawn games will be set up on the museum’s front lawn. FREE! Neill-Cochran House Museum, 2310 San Gabriel St, Austin.
- 2nd Annual Faerie Bowl – Sunday from 5:00 p.m. to Midnight. Dress as your favorite faerie or magical being and compete for fabulous prizes. This alternative to the Super Bowl will feature fun faerie games, faerie team sports, drink specials, and live music. FREE! The VORTEX, 2307 Manor Rd, Austin.
- 10th Annual Black History Month Concert – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Featuring the spiritual music of Duke Ellington. Guest artist Leon P. Turner, bass-baritone, joins this fabulous evening with the UT Austin Choirs, Huston-Tillotson Choirs, UT Jazz Orchestra, and more. FREE! Bates Recital Hall at the University of Texas, 2420 Robert Dedman Dr, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Friday Night Bots (Cedar Park) – Friday from 6-9:00 p.m. Hands-on squishy circuits and WeDo will be available for beginners. Any FLL or FTC members may bring their robots and play on the fields. Spectators may watch, or get involved at their comfort level. This FREE event provides something for the whole family. Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220 Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- Comedy Spartans Improv (Round Rock) – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Join this family friendly improv show based on audience suggestions. Admission is FREE! Star. Co Coffee, 201 E Main St, Round Rock.
You may also be interested in:
- Top Spots to Stargaze in and Around Austin
- 30+ “Don’t Miss” February Events in Austin
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Outdoor Exploring with Austin Free Forest School
- 100+ Things for Preschoolers to do in Austin
- … and more on our Free Fun Calendar!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.