The weekend is upon us yet again, and just like always there are too many things happening to pick from! To help narrow your search, here are the 10 items that really stood out to us. We’ve got everything from a kids show and playtime in nature to a kite workshop and celebration of a cat named after Johnny Cash. You’re all going to have a great time out there, so let’s get started!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- People’s Gallery 2017 Exhibition Opening – Friday from 6-9:00 p.m. The exhibition features over 125 artworks from Austin-area artists, galleries, museums, and arts organizations displayed throughout the first three floors of City Hall. Meet the artists, enjoy light refreshments, and listen to live music by Tetractys. FREE! Austin City Hall, 301 W 2nd St, Austin.
- Outdoor Kids – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. A family in nature is a healthy family. El Buen, El Ranchito, Westcave Outdoor Discovery Center, and others are coming together to offer this annual event. Learn about opportunities to get your family into nature and sign your children up for summer camps. No registration needed to attend. Families can explore a tent, climb a rock wall, try archery, and enjoy a reptile exhibit together. FREE! El Buen Samaritano, 7000 Woodhue Dr, Austin.
- The Spirit 105.9 Private School Fair – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Are you seeking the perfect school for your child to attend? This fair will showcase a number of the finest private schools central Texas has to offer. The event offers the opportunity to meet on-site admissions directors representing schools that include grades K-12. The fair will not only cater to parents, but the entire family with food trucks, bounce houses, and prize giveaways every 30 minutes. Spirit 105.9 morning show host Steve Sunshine will also be broadcasting live. FREE! Great Hills Baptist Church, 10500 Jollyville Rd, Austin.
- Austin Alternative School Fair – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Visit with some of Austin’s most effective educators from innovative learning environments where children and teens thrive. This family-friendly event features hands-on activities for kids of all ages. You’ll learn about wondrously different schools and other educational programs serving students from preschool age through high school. Each booth will have something interesting to engage your kids while you talk to the educators about their unique offerings. FREE! Whole Foods, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Recycled Reads’ 8 Year Anniversary – Saturday from Noon to 6:00 p.m. This all-day celebration will include a puppet show performance of Little Peep (12:30 p.m.), live music, a pop-up boutique, crafting, and more. FREE! Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Kite Workshop – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Fly on by and learn how to make a kite. Create kites in the gym, then enjoy flying them in the rec center’s open field. All ages welcome. FREE! Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
- Just Call Me Is Family Event – Saturday from 2-4:00 p.m. Gather at BookPeople for something magical–an afternoon of readings, games, and mindfulness/meditation exercises for the whole family. Just Call Me Is is an introduction to mindfulness for kids. These might be Big Important Topics, but these books introduce them to kids in a fun, lighthearted, and earnest way. The speaking portion of this event is FREE! To get a book signed, a copy of the event book must be purchased from BookPeople. Book People, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Cash Bash – Saturday from 5-8:00 p.m. Cash Bash is both a celebration of Johnny Cash’s birthday and a memorial for in.gredients’ beloved neighborhood cat “Cash.” They’re honoring the memory of both these “men in black” with a themed open mic featuring the “Almost” Johnny Cash Band and Sour Bridges. Stop by and sing a few Johnny Cash and/or cat-themed songs. Admission is FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Staci Gray Kids Show – Sunday from 10-11:30 a.m. Staci’s original music gets children to sing, dance, and be just plain silly. Plus, there will be bubbles! FREE! Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 E 38 1/2 St, Austin.
- Nurture My Child Summer Camp Fair – Sunday from 1-5:00 p.m. The Nurture My Child Camp Fair is a friendly, community focused camp fair to help parents select the right summer camp for their children ages 4-18. There will be over 60 camps represented, plus giveaways and activities for kids. FREE! Norris Conference Center, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- ABC Consignment Sale – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – Noon and from 12:30-3:30 p.m. (1/2 price sale) This is one of the largest sales of gently used clothing for sizes newborn to 14, toys, furniture, books, strollers, and other baby gear in Austin. This year, they will also be selling upscale handbags. You’ll find a huge selection of high quality items at low prices. Proceeds of this sale help to offset the expenses of the Austin Oaks Church Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) groups. Admission is FREE! Austin Oaks Church, 4220 Monterey Oaks Blvd, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Stephanie Myers’ 6th Annual Classic Car, Vintage Plane & Bike Show (Georgetown) – Saturday from 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Vintage war planes as well as classic, new, and exotic cars will be on display. Proceeds benefit local veterans through HelpOurWonded.org. Spectator admission is FREE! Georgetown Municipal Airport, 500 Terminal Dr, Georgetown.
- 8th Annual Chili Cookoff Fundraiser for Texas Humane Heroes (Leander) – Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. Enjoy the chili entries as well as all-you-can-eat chili from CJ’s Catering. There will be vendors with fun products, face painting, live music, and much more. Don’t forget to check out the animals available for adoption; you may go home with more than a full belly. Tickets are $10 per person; kids 10 and under are free. Leander Adoption Center, 10930 E Crystal Falls Pkwy, Leander.