Make a kite, make a friend, practice bird yoga and make snow angels in real snow! Here’s the scoop on free pre-Valentine’s fun this weekend in Austin.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Marathon Kids Austin Area Meet-Up & Run – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Join Marathon Kids for a morning of fitness and fun. Their team will lead some fun warm up activities, give everyone some running tips and motivation for the day, and then everyone will hit the trail at various paces and lengths. They’ll have some of their new bumper stickers and some raffle prizes, too. Best of all, this event is FREE and open to everyone, even if you’ve never heard of Marathon Kids before. Bring your family, friends, and even the dog. Every step counts. Vic Mathias Shores (formerly Auditorium Shores), 800 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Celebrate Urban Birds – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Join Travis Audubon, the Austin Nature and Science Center, Capital Area Master Naturalists, and Wildlife Rescue for a fun-filled morning learning about birds. Activities include: Big Sit with Sandra and Sebastian Casarez; bird walks at 9:15, 10:00, 10:45, and 11:30; birds of prey tour; live bird comparisons; and more. FREE! Austin Nature & Science Center, 2389 Stratford Dr, Austin.
- Sábados en Familia | Family Saturdays – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Enjoy a day filled with free arts and wellness classes. Six classes will be offered, each geared toward either Pre-K, youth (5-12), and teens/adults so the whole family can spend the day in an enriching cultural experience. Three classes will be offered at 10am; three more classes will be offered at 11am; and free lunch will be provided at noon. Ages 4+ welcome. FREE! ESB-MACC, 600 River St, Austin.
- The Empty Mug Project – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Enjoy a free family friendly art workshop, free coffee and baked goods, an Art Center Market featuring a variety of pottery, raffles for door prizes, and a Restoration Art Center (RAC) projects display. Proceeds from raffle ticket and pottery purchases benefit RAC & Mission Possible! Austin. Admission is FREE! Grace Covenant Church, 9431 Jollyville Rd, Austin.
- Darwin Day – Saturday from Noon to 5:00 p.m. The Center for Inquiry-Austin presents this celebration of the 208th anniversary of Darwin’s birth. There will be something for everyone—fun learning activities for children and teens, fascinating lectures and trivia contest for adults, professional development credit for teachers, and birthday cake. FREE! JJ Pickle Research Center, 10000 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Friend Fest – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Join Creative Action for a family celebration of friendship with interactive fun for kids and adults. Enjoy live music from Seu Jacinto, a friendship parade, cookie decorating, stations for creating valentines and friendship bracelets, a friendship photo booth, and more. FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Kite Workshop – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Fly on by and learn how to make a kite for the annual Zilker Kite Festival. Children will have the opportunity to make multiple kites and then fly them in the park. FREE! Gus Garcia Rec Center, 1201 E Rundberg Ln, Austin.
- Sounds of Young Black and Gifted Concert – Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Youth from all over the Austin Metropolitan area will dance, sing, and perform instrumental pieces. Children are the future, and they’ve got talent. FREE! George Washington Carver Museum, Cultural, and Genealogy Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Storybook Dance Making (RSVP) – Sunday at 2:00 p.m. Read Freedom in Congo Square, dance, play games with your family, and express freedom through coloring. Storybook Dance Making consists of a warmup, game, reading, dance making, and mini-performance with your family. This class is ideal for families with children ages 4-8. Taught by a Dance Waterloo artist, this class is aligned with the National Core Arts Standards in Dance. RSVP is requested here. FREE! Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Family Day – Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. February’s Family Day is an Urban Birds Celebration in partnership with the Travis County Audubon Society and the Austin Nature and Science Center. Learn your wing span, go a sculpture safari, practice bird yoga, make grackle masks, and more. FREE! UMLAUF Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- Father/Daughter Valentine’s Dance – Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Enjoy a night of desserts, dancing, and door prizes. Grandpas, uncles, and friends are welcome if dad can’t be there. $10 per family. First United Methodist Church – Downtown Austin, 1201 Lavaca St, Austin.
- PBS Kids at the Alamo: Valentine’s Mix – Sunday at 10:00 a.m. (Slaughter) and 10:40 a.m. (Lakeline) Celebrate Valentine’s Day with special Valentine’s Day episodes from Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood and Nature Cat, along with other PBS KIDS favorites. Reserve your seat with a donation of $1-3, with all ticket sales benefitting education programs at your local PBS station. This is an all-ages show with Baby Day rules – noisy young fans won’t be asked to leave the theater. Cellphones and other devices must stay dark. Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter, 5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin and Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Hands on History (Georgetown) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Celebrate Valentine’s Day by learning about past Valentine traditions. Children will make their own vintage Valentines. FREE! Georgetown Library, 402 W 8th St, Georgetown.
- My Pfurry Valentine (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Events include craft tables, kissing booth (with a kid-friendly dog), photo booth, face painting, and musical chairs. FREE! Pflugerville Animal Shelter, 1600 Waterbrook Dr, Pflugerville.
- Snow Day (Georgetown) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Are you ready for a SNOW DAY?! Make snow angels, toss snowballs, tube down a 12-foot slide, sing along and take photos with a Disney Ice Princess, take a mini art class, and snow much more (while the snow lasts). FREE! Wolf Ranch Town Center, 1015 W University Ave, Georgetown.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Family-Friendly Valentine’s Day Events in Austin
- Free “Don’t Miss” February Events in Austin
- Free Fun Calendar