- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Friday, February 13, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Saturday, February 14 and Sunday, February 15, from 12-5 p.m. The Ransom Center celebrates 150 years of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland with an exhibition for the curious and curiouser of all ages. Learn about Lewis Carroll and the real Alice who inspired his story. Follow the White Rabbit’s path through the exhibition, have a tea party, or watch a 1933 paper filmstrip that has been carefully treated by Ransom Center conservators. The Center’s vast collections offer a new look at a story that has delighted generations and inspired artists from Salvador Dalí to Walt Disney. FREE! Harry Ransom Center, 300 W 21st St, Austin.
- Teen Valentine’s Dance – Friday, February 13 from 7-9:30 p.m. A DJ will play the hottest jams, plus there will be door prizes, guessing games, free food, drinks, and maybe even a freestyle battle and dance contest. Ages 13-17 welcome. FREE! Turner-Roberts Recreation Center, 7201 Colony Loop Dr, Austin.
- Valentine’s Escape – Friday, February 13 at 7:45 p.m. Feeling the love in the air? Celebrate a perfect Valentine’s weekend with popcorn and a movie in the park, featuring 50 First Dates. FREE! For adults age 18 and up. (Parents can send their children to Parent’s Night Out from 6-10 p.m. Appropriate for ages 5-11; starting at $26 per child.) Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W Dittmar Rd, Austin.
- Robot Open House – Saturday, February 14, from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. See a dozen robots, each over 100 pounds, in a pre-scrimmage match. This is the final week of a six-week robot build competition. The robots will be nearly ready to play the game, but major work will still need to be done. Spectators are encouraged! Come and see teams in the Pits as they put the final touches on their ‘bots and put them in the arena for the first time. There will be epic failures and grand successes. FREE! Highland Mall, 6001 Airport Blvd, Austin.
- Heart Party – Saturday, February 14, from 10 a.m. – noon. Join the Carver Museum for Valentine’s Day crafts, candy and fun, while you create tokens of love for family and friends. This kid-friendly event is FREE and open to the public. To RSVP, email [email protected] The George Washington Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina Street, Austin.
- The Que Pastas at Strange Brew – Saturday, February 14 at 10 a.m. Some say The Que Pastas are people from another planet. That planet, which may or may not have had oceans of hot cheese sauce and beaches of macaroni noodles, parmesan rain and mountains made of meatballs, might have sent The Que Pasta family to earth to entertain kids of all ages with quirky, original music. Others claim The Que Pastas is the brainchild of Gene Davis, a young alt-country musician who found a surprise calling doing kindie music. One thing that everyone can agree on, however, is that The Que Pastas are a funny and interactive family friendly band that serves up their music with a generous helping of fun sauce. FREE! Strange Brew, Lounge Side, 5326 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- East Austin Handmade Market – Saturday February 14, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Bring your sweetie to the backyard of The Vortex for a celebration with more than 20 local artists and entrepreneurs. Enjoy live music and tunes from DJ Baron Mind while you shop. This is a FREE show for all ages! The East Austin Handmade Arts Market features creations in a wide variety of mediums, all handmade and appropriate for all ages. The Butterfly Bar Austin will be serving up sweet drink specials all day. Pets are welcome. The Vortex, 2307 Manor Road, Austin.
- Free Kite Making Workshop – Saturday, February 14, from 1-3 p.m. Fly on by for an afternoon of fun, then enter your creation in the Kite Competition at the Zilker Park Kite Festival on March 1! FREE! South Austin Recreation Center, 1100 Cumberland Road, Austin.
- Cajun Aces at Central Market North Lamar – Saturday, February 14, from 6:30-9 p.m. Get in the Mardi Gras spirit with a special performance by Cajun dance band Cajun Aces! FREE! Central Market, 4001 North Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Staci Gray at Cherrywood Coffeehouse – Sunday, February 15 at 10 a.m. Staci Gray will be playing a FREE show for kids! Enjoy two sets of bubbly, musical fun. Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 E. 38 1/2 Street, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Villain-tine Party (Round Rock) – Friday, February 13 from 6-8 p.m. Teens are invited to celebrate Valentine’s Day by dressing as their favorite villains while enjoying games, food, and fun. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E. Main St., Round Rock.
- Hands On History (Georgetown) – Saturday, February 14, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Hands on History is a FREE, come and go event held monthly at the Museum. Celebrate Valentine’s Day by learning about past valentine traditions. Children will make their own vintage valentine. The Williamson Museum, 716 S. Austin Ave., Georgetown.
- Titan Moon Comics Kids Club (Cedar Park) – Saturday, February 14, from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Come and make a comic book photo frame to keep or give as a present! FREE! Titan Moon Comics, 1540 Cypress Creek Road, Ste. 108, Cedar Park.
More Valentine’s Day fun:
- Valentine Decorating – Friday, February 13 from 2-4 p.m. Decorate to your heart’s content with paper, glitter, stickers, and all other supplies provided. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Each adult may bring a maximum of three children. FREE! Terra Toys, 2438 W. Anderson Ln., Austin.
- Valentine’s Day Storytime – Saturday, February 14 at 11 a.m. Enjoy a Valentine’s Day storytime and activities featuring I Love You Just Like This. There are many ways to say, “I love you” and Elmo and his Sesame Street friends are ready to tell you. FREE! Your local Barnes & Noble store.
- Make Your Own Valentines at BookPeople – Saturday, February 14 at 11:30 a.m. Join BookPeople this Saturday for a very special storytime with Austin author and illustrator Keith Graves! He’ll read his latest picture book, Second Banana. Keith will also do a drawing demo and kids will create their own Valentine’s Day cards! FREE! Afterwards, he’ll sign copies of his books. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar, Austin.
- Kids Club with Silly Angel – Saturday, February 14 from 12-2 p.m. Make your own Valentine’s Day cards with local greeting card maker Silly Angel. FREE! Whole Foods Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- Street Art Valentines – Saturday, February 14, from 1-4 p.m. Come share your love, lack of it, and/or anything in between on the Where Is Your Heart? Wall this Saturday. Paint, paint pens, the art cart, and enthusiasm provided. FREE! 610 Calles Street, Austin.
- Come & Go Crafts – Saturday, February 14 from 1:30-3 p.m. Make Valentines during this drop-in craft time at the library. FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
Plus one “pay what you will” event:
- The Zoo – Sunday, February 15 at 2:30 and 4 p.m. The Zoo will be a fully-staged chamber production of the entire opera, with costumes, props, the suggestion of a set, a reduced chorus and grand-piano (and oboe!) accompaniment. Presented by The Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Austin. Pay what you will at the door. Suggested donation of $10. Worley Barton Theater at Brentwood Christian School, 11908 N. Lamar, Austin.
And an extra event for Presidents’ Day:
- Free Admission to The LBJ Presidential Library – Monday, February 16 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish for the library to “be available to all,” entrance fees are waived on several days during the year, including Presidents’ Day. FREE! LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- 2015 Movies in the Park
- Best Public Art in Austin
- Free Valentine’s Day Events in Austin
- Free Shows at Zilker Hillside Theater in 2015
- Don’t Miss Events in Austin this February
- Free Austin Festivals in 2015
- 2015 Spring Break and Summer Camp Guide
- … and plenty more on our Free Fun Calendar!