Pulsr is a free app that offers a personalized list of recommendations for local events and activities happening near you! We have partnered with Pulsr for the month of August to showcase the very best family-friendly weekend events featured in the Pulsr app! Download the app for iOS or Android, then click the Pulsr links below to save your top weekend picks, and easily share them with friends.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin Presented by Pulsr
- Free Admission at the Umlauf (Find on Pulsr) – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. This is the final weekend to take advantage of free admission thanks to the generous donations of our community during Amplify Austin. The museum and garden will waive admission fees through August 31. Read about the Umlauf scavenger hunt for kids here. (Please note that the garden is closed on Monday.) FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Art After Six (Find on Pulsr) – Friday from 6-8:00 p.m. Stop by The People’s Gallery at City Hall for extended gallery hours and talks by three artists from the 2016 exhibition: Jennifer Idol, Kirk Marsh, and Shelley Wood. Artworks are on display on the first three floors. Pick up a gallery guide on the first floor. FREE! Austin City Hall, 301 W 2nd St, Austin.
- Movie Night at Community Cinema: Inside Out (RSVP) (Find on Pulsr) – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Inside Out. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash only). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Staci Gray Concert (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday from 10-11:30 a.m. Join in.gredients for their first 4th Saturday kids’ concert by local Austin children’s musician Staci Gray. Her original music will get children to sing, dance, and be just plain silly. FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Big Don Kids’ Show (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Award-winning Hip Hop artist Big Don’s music focuses on the positive and inspiring aspects of what kids embrace about life. FREE! Strange Brew, 5326 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Back to School Bash (RSVP) (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday from 3-5:00 p.m. The Johnson Center for Child Health and Development is hosting an afternoon filled with FREE fun for kids. Children of all abilities can enjoy a variety of booths, crafts, presentations, bounce house, raffle, photo booth, invention table, music, and dancing. The first 50 kids there will receive a FREE bag of school supplies to help kick start the new school year. Event is open to families with kids ages 2-10 of all abilities. FREE but RSVP required at [email protected] or call 512-732-8400. The Austin Recreation Center, 1301 Shoal Creek, Austin.
- The Little Yoga House North Austin Grand Opening Party (RSVP) (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday from 3-6:00 p.m. Festivities will include a teacher meet and greet, facility tours, an interactive DIY, and a family sized photo booth. There will also be lite bites from LovePuppies, Rhythm Super Foods, and Snarf’s Sandwiches, as well as adult beverages by Austin Cocktails. Last, but not least, they’ve partnered with SafePlace to collect new and gently used school supplies. For each item donated, you’ll receive one entry into their giveaway. FREE with RSVP. The Little Yoga House Village Location, 2700 W Anderson Ln, Ste 229, Austin.
- Dog Days of Summer at HOPE Farmers Market (Find on Pulsr) – Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. Enjoy a market day celebrating our four-legged furry friends. The festivities include: an open call dog show at 12:30 p.m. This is a chance to show off the tricks you and your mutt have been working on all summer and win some awesome, local prizes. (Show up between 12-12:25 to put your name on the list.); a doggie photo booth with VARU Creative; visit with pups at the Austin Dog Rescue booth; learn how to make treats your dog will beg for at the HOPE Sample Station; and try some local dog treats at ATX Jerky. FREE! Plaza Saltillo, 412 Comal St, Austin.
- Ballet Austin’s Come Dance! (Find on Pulsr) – Sunday from 1-5:45 p.m. Come Dance!, a day of FREE dance classes at Downtown Austin’s premiere dance and fitness center, is designed for participants of all experience levels, and is your opportunity to sample a variety of dance classes whether you’re an experienced dancer or you’ve never danced a step. The afternoon will feature adult classes, as well as kid-friendly classes for ages 5-10. Attendees can also participate in drawings for prizes, such as free dance and fitness classes and tickets to upcoming Ballet Austin performances. Ages 5 and up welcome. Butler Dance Education Center, 501 W 3rd St, Austin.
- Concerts in the Park: Big Band (Find on Pulsr) – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts return to the Long Center for the final FREE concert this summer, featuring the Big Band ensemble (program here). Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. Bus Routes: 1, 5, 7, 10, 20, 30, 801 will get you there! Plan your trip online or on your smartphone. Long Center Terrace, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin
- Music On the Square (Georgetown) (Find on Pulsr) – Friday at 6:30 p.m. The “Most Beautiful Town Square in Texas” will be the stage for FREE weekly Friday night concerts featuring regional musicians from June through August. Bring chairs or a blanket and beverages to enjoy music from Roland Waits playing country, Southern rock, and oldies. Georgetown Square.
- Movies in the Park: Cinderella (Leander) (Find on Pulsr) – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions will be available for purchase. Rated PG. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
- Star Party (Cedar Park) (Find on Pulsr) – Friday at 9:00 p.m. Star gaze on a state-of-the art computer guided telescope. View through the telescope, take telescope assisted photos with your smartphone, and learn major stars and constellation positions along with the planets and moons. Learn how to read a star map, and much more. Weather permitting. FREE! Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220, Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- Swift Fest (Jonestown) (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday from 4:30-10:00 p.m. Celebrate Jonestown’s chimney swifts with live music under the trees, children’s activities, an assortment of good eats, contests with prizes, and more. Shop from a diverse group of artists and vendors. Arrive early to enjoy the city’s parks and trails and take a dip in the lake. Admission is FREE! Fireman’s Park, 18649 FM-1431, Jonestown.
- A Taste of 10 Years (Round Rock) (Find on Pulsr) – Saturday from 5-7:00 p.m. In celebration of their 10th anniversary, Round Rock Premium Outlets will host a weekend long extravaganza the whole family will enjoy. A Taste of 10 Years will feature FREE tastings from local restaurants and farmers, live music, and fabulous shopping. At 7:00 p.m., guests will have a chance to win over 500 prizes when 1,200 beach balls are dropped from a roof near the Food Court. Round Rock Premium Outlets, 4401 N Interstate 35, Round Rock.
- Sounds of 10 Years (Round Rock) (Find on Pulsr) – Sunday from 1-5:00 p.m. Enjoy a music showcase featuring local Round Rock artists, plus raffles and text-to-win prizes. FREE! Round Rock Premium Outlets, 4401 N Interstate 35, Round Rock.