This weekend’s art-filled FREE fun in Austin is sure to help you beat the back-to-school blues! Catch a movie in the park, enjoy one of several concerts, learn to draw in a master’s studio, attend a multi-cultural festival, or be a part of a record-attempting Bollywood dance on the Capitol grounds!
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
A big thanks to our sponsor, Kiddie Academy of Pflugerville, an educational child care provider. Pflugerville and Austin area children and their families are invited to a fun, FREE, interactive reading at Storytime LIVE!, where Curious George jumps off the page and visits the classroom in person! This special storytime event is happening on Saturday, August 26 at 10:00 a.m. Register today to reserve your FREE spot!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
Community Cinema: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Plus, stop by the Community Market to check out all the beautiful art and handcrafted products that Community First! residents make in the various micro-enterprise programs at the Village. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash preferred). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. A donation of $5 is greatly appreciated. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin. Update: canceled due to inclement weather.
- Saturday Drawing Salon – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to noon. Drawing salons are open to all ages and skill levels, even if you’ve never picked up a pencil in your life. The museum will provide the tools and instruction you need to master the forms that Elisabet Ney so graciously provided over 100 years ago. Learn to draw in her studio! Each week will feature a different activity, but feel free to just sit and sketch. FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
2nd Annual Arts Kaleidoscope – Saturday from noon to 4:00 p.m. Presented by Southwest Key Latino Arts Preservation Program and Children’s Promise, Arts Kaleidoscope will feature performances by Mariachi (LAPP), Ballet Folklorico (LAPP), Hawaiian Kona Isle, Austin Dance India, Love of China, and more. There will also be arts and crafts, prize raffles, food, fun, and familia! Admission is FREE and open to the entire community. Food will be available to purchase. Southwest Key Programs, 6002 Jain Ln, Austin. Update: canceled due to inclement weather.
- Anime Afternoon – Saturday from 3-5:00 p.m. Stop by Barrel O’Fun, where they’re mashing up Anime favorites with a custom DJ set by Neiliyo. There will be trivia and games with Alamo prizes and special surprises from Toy Dojo and Anime Austin, plus some hands on activities for the younger Anime fans. It’s Austin’s moment to dress up and geek out over giant robots, fantasy, and high-speed fun. Dancing optional, costumes welcome. FREE! Barrel O’Fun, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Jungle Book (Final Weekend!) – Saturday at 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children is excited to present The Jungle Book! The show is geared towards children 2-12 and lasts about an hour. You do need a ticket but the good news is that tickets are FREE. Tickets are handed out 30 minutes before the show to the first 130 patrons in line, and online reservations are offered for the 2:00 p.m. shows only. Boyd Vance Theater at the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
Austin Bollywood Day – Saturday from 6-8:00 p.m. Bollywood Day is a festival showcasing Indian culture, Indian food, clothing, music, vendors, and contests. The festival will culminate in a record-breaking Bollywood dance attempt, where dancers and non-dancers alike will participate in one massive dance number. This year’s goal is 3,000 people of all age groups and ethnicities dancing together. Be a part of it! Practice sessions for the dance will be held every hour on the hour at the venue. FREE! Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin. Update: rescheduled due to inclement weather.
- LBJ’s Birthday Celebration – Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Happy Birthday, LBJ! The LBJ Presidential Library will offer FREE exhibit admission, birthday cake, and refreshments so that visitors can commemorate the birthday of Lyndon Johnson. August 27th would have been President Johnson’s 109th birthday. Admission and parking are FREE! LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
Big Don’s Big Class CD Release Party – Sunday from noon to 2:00 p.m. Bring the family and celebrate the release of Big Don’s brand new educational CD Big Don’s Big Class. Special Guest opener Doc Deuce will perform a great new kids show and Jasper the balloon artist will be on site to create cool new art for the kids. Big Don will perform a live show for the kids featuring material from the all new album. FREE! Moontower Saloon, 10212 Manchaca Rd, Austin. Update: rescheduled due to inclement weather. Strong As Sandow Book Launch – Sunday from 3-6:00 p.m. Austin-based children’s author and illustrator, Don Tate, is the illustrator of more than fifty critically acclaimed trade and educational books for children, and the author of two award-winning titles. His most recent work, Strong As Sandow: How Eugen Sandow Became The Strongest Man On Earth is a picture book biography (ages 6-9) about Victorian strongman Eugen Sandow, known as the Father of Modern Day Bodybuilding. Celebrate the publication of Don’s book at this family friendly launch party that will feature an author’s video and live reading, strongman and bodybuilder videos, light refreshments, and much more. The book will be for sale at the event through BookPeople. Strong As Sandow is a Junior Library Guild Selection. FREE! H.J. Lutcher Stark Center for Physical Culture – North End Zone of DKR Memorial Football Stadium, Fifth Floor, 403 E 23rd St, NEZ, Ste 5.700, Austin. Update: canceled due to inclement weather. Concerts in the Park: Big Band (Final Weekend!) – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. In its 15th summer season, these ensemble concerts take place in the Hartman Concert Park in front of the Long Center City Terrace. Each Sunday a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured, this week, enjoy a Brass performance. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE! The Long Center Terrace/Hartman Concert Park, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.Update: canceled due to inclement weather.
Bonus Fun For A Good Cause:
- Clothing Exchange – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to noon. A clothing swap is a fun, smart, green, and inexpensive way to get rid of all the clothes, shoes, and accessories that you never wear. At the same time, you can find a bunch of new clothes and meet the interesting people who chose your gear. The other purpose for the event will be to collect donated clothes for foster families. Enjoy a morning of FREE swapping! First Baptist Church, 901 Trinity St, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- YMCA Family Day (Dripping Springs) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. You’re Invited to the Springs Family Y Open House! Come celebrate the reopening of the Springs Family Y and enjoy the newly expanded and renovated facility. Activities Include swimming in the new outdoor pools, sample classes for kids & adults, guided facility tours, and free food and refreshments. Event is FREE! Springs Family Y, 27216 Ranch Rd 12, Dripping Springs.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- 5 FREE Things to Do in Pflugerville
- FREE Don’t Miss August Events in Austin
- Get Creative with Lady Bird the Owl to Win Epic Summer Prizes!
- Free Fun Calendar