This weekend, check out the best FREE fun in Austin! You can get yourself a new best friend at a FREE adoption event or celebrate the pet you already have at a pet-lovers expo. There’s an outdoor family movie, concerts, and lots of back to school events for you to attend! There are too many to fit on this list, so be sure to check out our roundup of 2017 Back to School Events in Austin.
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
A big thanks to our sponsor, songs for seeds! If you’re looking for an amazing mommy-and-me kids music class that is brand new to Austin, try a songs for seeds class for a rockin’ good time! This weekly, 45 minute, interactive class encourages children, newborn to 6 years old, to sing, dance and play along with a live, three-piece band. Kids rock out with children’s instruments, as well as real drums, guitars, keyboards, and instruments from around the world. Sign up to attend a FREE songs for seeds demo class August 22, 23, or 25, and enter our giveaway for your chance to win a FREE month of songs for seeds classes!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Community Cinema: Frozen – Friday at 7:30 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Frozen. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Plus, stop by the Community Market to check out all the beautiful art and handcrafted products that Community First! residents make in the various micro-enterprise programs at the Village. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash preferred). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. A donation of $5 is greatly appreciated. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Clear the Shelters – Saturday at various times and locations. Austin area animal shelters are teaming up with KXAN for a single day, FREE adoption event. Last year, Clear the Shelters helped 50,000 animals nationwide find their forever homes. All day, shelters will be offering FREE adoptions on all animals in hopes of truly clearing out the shelter. Austin Pets Alive!, 1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin; Austin Humane Society, 124 W Anderson Ln, Austin; and Austin Animal Center, 7201 Levander Loop, Austin.
- Domain NORTHSIDEkids: See Ya, Summer! – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to noon. Bring your entire family to the Domain NORTHSIDE lawn to catch a live improv performance from ColdTowne. You could even be part of the show! FREE! The Domain NORTHSIDE Lawn, 11700 Domain Blvd, Austin.
- El Mundo’s Back to School Fest – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. El Mundo’s annual Back to School event provides valuable community resources to the public related to education, health and wellness, nutrition, and much more. Enjoy backpack and school supply giveaways, health screenings, vision screenings, speech and hearing screenings, and mammograms for moms. Plus, there will be tons of door prizes including bikes, gift certificates, and much more. FREE and open to the entire community. Delco Center, 4601 Pecan Brook Dr, Austin.
- Austin Pet Expo – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. You and your pet can spend the day at this event celebrating all things pets! There will be exhibitors, prize giveaways, discounted vaccinations, microchipping, heartworm and flea preventatives, pet care info sessions, free nail trims, plus learn how you can make a difference. FREE! Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Jungle Book – Saturday at 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children is excited to present The Jungle Book! The show is geared towards children 2-12 and lasts about an hour. You do need a ticket but the good news is that tickets are FREE. Tickets are handed out 30 minutes before the show to the first 130 patrons in line, and online reservations are offered for the 2:00 p.m. shows only. Boyd Vance Theater at the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Back to School Splash Bash – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. This pool party is FREE and open to the public, so bring your friends and family. There will be refreshments, music, snacks, pool games, surprise guests, and more. Please note: if you or a family member are not currently members of the YMCA of Austin, you will need to take a short swim test to ensure the safety of everyone in the pool. FREE! Town Lake YMCA, 1100 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- KOOP Radio Presents: Ruby Dee and The Snakehandlers – Saturday from 6-9:00 p.m. This four-piece combo plays an Americana that encompasses Texas honky-tonk, Bakersfield twang, Memphis rockabilly, Western swing, and good old-fashioned rock ’n’ roll. Show is kid-friendly and FREE! Barrel O’ Fun, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Back to School Haircuts – Sunday from 2:30-4:30 p.m. FREE haircuts and backpacks (while supplies last) for kids in grades K-12, plus snowcones, cotton candy, and popcorn. Trinity Abundant Life Church, 412 Cumberland Rd, Austin.
Concerts in the Park: Brass – Sunday at 7:30 p.m. In its 15th summer season, these ensemble concerts take place in the Hartman Concert Park in front of the Long Center City Terrace. Each Sunday a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured, this week, enjoy a Brass performance. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE! The Long Center Terrace/Hartman Concert Park, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun For A Good Cause:
Hot Sauce Festival – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Head to the hottest festival in Austin! Sample hundreds of hot sauces, dine on local foods, and enjoy live music. Get ready to eat the heat! FREE admission with a donation of three non-perishable food items or a $5 cash donation to the Central Texas Food Bank. Fiesta Gardens, 2101 Jesse E Segovia St, Austin.
- Ice Cream Social @ TRACE – Sunday from 3-5:00 p.m. As summer temps soar, cool down at TRACE’s sixth annual Ice Cream Social. In order to take your pick from boozy or kid-friendly ice cream made by Chef Angel, please bring a donation of school supplies to benefit Austin’s SAFE back to school drive. To learn more about what school supplies are needed, click here. The family friendly event takes place on the outdoor lounge following brunch and four legged friends are welcome as the chefs have special dog-friendly treats in store. TRACE @ The W Hotel Austin, 200 Lavaca St, Austin.
- Melanated Market Place – Saturday from 5-10:00 p.m. Melanated Market Place is a space for the black and brown businesses of the Austin area to set up shop sale, promote, and network amongst like minded entrepreneurs alongside established small businesses in the area. This is a great way to support each other and build a network of alliances between the community and business owners. DJ Urban Mello is your selecta for the evening. BYOB. See and meet your local entreprenuers, eat, and chill. Admission is FREE! Tony’s Jamaican Food, 1200 E 11th St, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Kutz 4 Kids (Round Rock) – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Students who attend RRISD will receive a free haircut and free school supplies, free food, and free wellness checks while supplies last. The event is FREE and will include live entertainment and information about community services. Hernandez Middle School, 1901 Sunrise Rd, Round Rock.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- 2017 Back to School Events in Austin
- Top Spots for Back to School Shopping on a Budget
- Top 5 FREE & Cheap (Not Lame) Hangout Spots For Teens In Austin
- FREE Don’t Miss August Events in Austin
- 2017 Guide to Summer Fun in Austin
- 100+ Summer Adventures Checklist
- Get Creative with Lady Bird the Owl to Win Epic Summer Prizes!
- Free Fun Calendar