As kids gear up to head back to school in a few weeks, remember that this weekend, August 7-9, 2015, is Tax Free Weekend in Texas! But, if you’re not out shopping, enjoy some of these great free events around town:
- Planet Music: Argentinian Milonga! – Friday, August 7 at 7 p.m. Featuring Esquina Tango. Family friendly and FREE! Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Hairspray – Friday, August 7, Saturday, August 8, and Sunday, August 9 at 8:15 p.m. Zilker Theatre Production’s summer musical is a cherished Austin cultural event. The 57th Annual Zilker Summer Musical, Hairspray, winner of 8 Tony Awards including Best Musical, is a high-energy musical comedy phenomenon that will have the whole Hillside on their feet. Set in 1962 Baltimore, this musical is chock full of dazzling, toe-tapping production numbers and soulful rhythm and blues. FREE; donations greatly appreciated. Bring $5 (and allow extra time) if you plan to park in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: Junie B. Jones The Musical – Saturday, August 8 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 9 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. The show is recommended for children age 3 to 10. Tickets are FREE, but go fast, so it is advisable to arrive early. Last year, families were lining up 90 minutes before showtime to claim their four free tickets per person, once distribution began. Visit the ASMC Facebook page for updates on ticketing policies. Boyd Vance Theater (inside George Washington Carver Museum), 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Summertime Austin Flea – Saturday, August 8, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. The Flea features all local handmade items and vintage wares from some of Austin’s most amazing and talented vendors. Find one-of-a-kind gifts for any occasion including jewelry, glasswork, clothing, artwork, paper goods, textiles and so much more. Entrance to the event is FREE and open to all ages. Handmade. Vintage. Local. The Highball, 1120 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Duck Derby benefitting the Austin Boys and Girls Club Foundation – Saturday, August 8 at 11 a.m. The ducks are coming back! Watch as 10,000 eco-friendly “adopted” rubber ducks are launched into Lady Bird Lake from the Ann Richards Bridge on Congress Avenue. Ducks will race to the finish line, and lucky winners will receive exciting prizes. During the race, enjoy kids’ activities, music, food and fun at the mini festival on the grounds of the Austin American Statesman’s West Parking Lot. All proceeds benefit kids served by Boys & Girls Clubs of the Austin Area. For more information, and to adopt a duck for $5, visit austinduckderby.com. Ann Richards Bridge, 305 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- BookPeople’s Carnival of Books – Saturday, August 8, from 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come one, come all! It’s time for the 185th Annual First Time Ever BookPeople Nation Carnival of Books! Celebrate all things books and reading with raucous merriment, bookish carnival games, tons of give-aways, an epic family read-aloud of BookPeople’s favorite kids stories, FREE books and, of course, CAKE! Test your literary strength with trivia and old fashioned book-balancing; aim thy wits and win prizes at Book Pong; visit a fortune teller for predictions of this year’s BIG fall books, and much more! Midday Events Magicians will reveal the store’s full fall author event line-up and toast the coming season with the finest affordable champagne. Many wonders await! Say HUZZAH to our local independent bookstore with a day of games and fun for readers of all ages. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Free Family Movies at the Bullock Museum: Song of the Sea – Saturday, August 8 at 2 p.m. All summer long, the Bullock Museum is presenting a bi-weekly Summer Free Family Series. These programs are FREE and open to the public, but you must pick up a ticket as seating is limited. Your movie ticket does not include admission to the exhibits. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N Congress Ave, Austin.
- 2015 Austin Bollywood Day – Saturday, August 8, from 3-7 p.m. Learn to dance like a Bollywood star and join in a record-breaking attempt to participate in the world’s largest dance number. Presented by Agni Entertainment, Bollywood Day celebrates dance and Indian culture and will feature a procession from the State Capitol to the Long Center. Bollywood Day will be full of Indian food, games, contests, dancing and more! Om Shanti! This FREE event begins at the Texas State Capitol and proceeds to the Long Center. Long Center, 701 West Riverside Drive, Austin.
- UT Football Fan Day – Sunday, August 9 at 9:45 a.m. Gates (1, 7, 27, 28, 32) on the east and west sides of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium open at 9 a.m. (Stadium map) Texas Athletics invites fans to the 2015 Texas Football Fan Day. The day’s activities start at 9:45 a.m. with an open practice. This is the first opportunity for fans to get a glimpse of the Longhorns before the season opener vs. Notre Dame in South Bend. Beginning at noon, fans will have an opportunity for photo ops with some of Texas’ greatest traditions: BEVO XIV, Smokey the Cannon, Texas Cheer and Pom, Hook ‘Em, AirHorn, and the world’s largest Hook ‘Em inflatable (weather permitting). Following practice, fans are encouraged to head to the Red McCombs Red Zone for autographs from the 2015 Texas Football team and assistant coaches. Photos with Coach Strong will be taken by Texas Athletics personnel; fans will be given information on how to download the FREE photos online. Autographs will start at 1:30 p.m. and conclude at 3:30 p.m. Special 18″x24″ commemorative posters to be used for autographs will be provided to fans (limit one poster per person). No outside items may be brought in for autographs. Photos with players and assistant coaches are also not permitted. All autographs and activities are FREE and on a first-come, first-served basis. Large crowds are expected so please prepare accordingly. Fans may access the Red McCombs Red Zone following the conclusion of the open practice at noon. Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, 2139 San Jacinto Blvd., Austin. (FREE parking)
- Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” – Sunday, August 2 at 7:30 p.m. The Hartman Foundation FREE “Concerts in the Park,” presented by the Austin Symphony Orchestra, bring the community together, just as similar events did in town centers years ago. This Sunday, the Woodwinds ensemble will play. (Program) Free Parking is available at One Texas Center located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Long Center, 701 W Riverside, Austin.
- Concerts on the Square (Georgetown) – Friday, August 7 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Get away to Downtown Georgetown for an evening of strolling, gallery hopping, dining, and live music. The shops stay open late and there is a party atmosphere in the air. This week, Cowboy Nemo play classic country. FREE! Georgetown Courthouse Square.
- Movie in the Park: Mary Poppins Sing-along (Pflugerville) – Friday, August 7 at 8:30 p.m. Come ready to sing about “a spoonful of sugar” and practice your “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” as Pflugerville continues to celebrate 50 years as an incorporated city and brings back this 1960’s musical favorite. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and cash for concessions during the film. The movie starts at dark. FREE! Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Rd, Pflugerville.
- 5th Vida Fest (Hutto) – August 8 from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. FREE backpacks, haircuts, Kid Zone, school supplies, face painting food, live music and must more. Child must be present. Nadine Johnson Elementary School, 480 Carl Stern Blvd., Hutto.
- Austin’s Park Back to School Event (Pflugerville) – August 8 from 8-11 a.m. Austin’s Park and KEYE will be giving away backpacks and school supplies, while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. Child must be present to collect. Austin’s Park will open on Saturday at 9 a.m. If you attend the Back to School event, you can claim $10 discounted tickets to enter Austin’s Park. You must claim the tickets and enter the park before 11 a.m. Child must be present. The school supplies will go quickly!! You’ll need to enter from the east side of the building, where the Back to School event will be held. The front door will not be honoring the discounted price. Austin’s Park, 16231 IH-35, Pflugerville.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Don’t Miss FREE Events in August
- Back to School Events and Freebies
- Park Profile – Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
- Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge
- Park Profile – Springwoods Park
- Free Fun Calendar
Please enter our giveaways:
- The Golf School Junior Golf Set ($110 value)
- Mt. Playmore ($65 value)
- Cirque du Soleil KOOZA ($160 value)
- Ricki & The Flash ($90 value)