Want to fill your weekend with adventures? We’ve got you covered! Check out our top picks for the best free weekend fun in Austin!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
Free fun in Austin this weekend:
- Twice Loved Children’s Consignment Sale – Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. You’ll find huge savings on top quality kids clothing (infant to size 16), gear, toys, books, feeding and bathing essentials, bikes, furniture, decor, maternity, and much more at savings of 50-90% off retail. Volunteers carefully inspect every item before the sale to ensure that you will only find the highest quality items and that every item is clean, in good working condition, and has not been recalled. All purchases are tax free and support Austin Moms of Multiples. Many items will be half price beginning at Noon. Admission is FREE with this flyer (otherwise it is $1, or $3 to get in an hour early). Austin Sports Center, 425 Woodward St, Austin.
- Clean Sweep – Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Join more than 4,000 volunteers for the Keep Austin Beautiful 2016 Clean Sweep, the largest annual city-wide service day spanning 130+ sites throughout the greater Austin area. The network of cleanups is followed by a not-to-be-missed volunteer party featuring FREE t-shirts, lunch, live music, children’s environmental activities, recycled art, a unique object contest, door prizes, and more. Cleanups from 9-11:00 a.m. View cleanup locations and register here. Party follows at Fiesta Gardens, 2100 Jesse E Segovia St, Austin.
- Young Artists in Service – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Introduce your child to the joys and possibilities of art during open studio time with artist Jean-Pierre Verdijo. This workshop is a time for youth ages 4-12 to explore their creative nature through drawing, cutting paper, and using stamps, along with a myriad of other materials. A diverse group of youth will be in attendance to create connection and unity, as well as some beautiful art for the new Safe Place library. FREE but donations for the Amala Foundation will be welcomed. This event may be canceled in the event of rain. Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Art for the People Gallery, 1711 South First St, Austin.
- South Asian New Year Festival – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. The South Asian New Year Festival, or “Pohela Boishakh,” is an annual outdoor celebration showcasing the culture and diversity of South Asia. The stage will feature live dance and music performances along with authentic programs highlighting the colorful diversity of South Asian Culture. Off stage, visitors will be enticed to enjoy the wonderful foods and merchandise available in the Bazaar. With food, ethnic clothing, jewelry, crafts, henna, and more this festival has all the ingredients to represent the rich tapestry of South Asian Culture. Admission is FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Family Program: Flags and Forts (RSVP) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Find your groove on the grounds of Laguna Gloria. Build a giant fort and experiment with fabric art inspired by the sci-fi disco worlds of Lise Haller Baggesen: Mothernism, on view in the Gatehouse Gallery. What will your flag look like? FREE hands-on art-making activities for ages 2–11. Reservations are required. The Contemporary Austin – Laguna Gloria, 3809 W 35th St, Austin.
- Bunnies Bounce Into Storytime – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Hop. Hop. Hop. Flop. Flop. Flop. Between their incessant hopping and oh so floppy ears, bunnies are pretty much the most adorable creatures around. So how can you possibly resist a storytime that’s all about them? You’ll enjoy a reading of the impossibly silly book A Boy and His Bunny along with other rivetingly rabbity reads. Best of all, you may just leave with your very own bunny friend. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Celebrate Me! Thailand – Saturday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Celebrate Me! is a global, cultural, educational experience series exploring different cultures from around the world and celebrating their similarities and diversity. Each visit will be a new corner of the globe. The journey will open the door to world communities through language, dress, food, costumes, history, music, and more. See the schedule. FREE! George Washington Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Kids Club Music Hour – Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Join Johnny, Sharon, Amber, Nick and the “Hopsters” for a highly interactive music show. Have fun with the kids while drumming, dancing, singing, blowing bubbles, having a scarf snowball fight, dancing in a conga line, and watching a special mini-musical story with costumed characters, sets, and cool backdrops. Gets there early for snacks, coffee, and juice. Admission is FREE for Free Fun in Austin readers when you download a voucher here. Scottish Rite Theatre, 207 W 18th St, Austin.
- Hope Day – Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Hope Day allows Texas 4000 for Cancer to share their mission of hope with the Austin community through family-friendly activities, cancer support resources, and interactive games. Hope Day will feature live music from Austin Burns, a free yoga class taught by Kat Sisler, a free petting zoo from Tiny Tails, and fun performances from the University of Texas comedy improv troupe, Gigglepants, and a capella group, Longhorn Singers. There will also be informational booths hosted by local cancer support organizations and a free skin cancer screening booth. View full schedule of events here. FREE! HOPE Farmers Market, 412 Comal St, Austin.
- Children’s Picnic: A Real Food Fair – Sunday from 1-5:00 p.m. Pack a picnic, bring a blanket, grow a garden, get moving with a yoga class from Yoga Yoga, meet farmers and local food vendors, and enjoy cooking demos, baby farm animals, music from Bob Appel and the Austin Community Steelband, and more. FREE! French Legation Museum, 802 San Marcos St, Austin.
Bonus nearly free fun:
- Go Fish! Learn to Fish Event – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Families can learn the basics of fishing through fun, hands-on activities. Take away a fishing fun pack and enter a drawing for door prizes. Equipment and bait provided or bring your own. No fishing license necessary. Adults must accompany children. Bring sun protection and water. Registration and start time is 9:00 a.m. FREE with park entrance fee (Cost: Adults $6; Children 12 and under are FREE). McKinney Falls State Park, 5808 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Austin.
And even more fun beyond Austin:
- 33rd Annual Bluebonnet Festival (Burnet) – Friday, from 5:30-10:15 p.m., Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:15 p.m. and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The annual Bluebonnet Festival has grown into one of the most exciting and successful small-town festivals in Texas. Each year, activities are added to keep the annual event exciting for first time visitors as well as repeat festival fans. View events and schedule. Admission is FREE! (Concerts on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon are FREE. A $10 admission fee will be charged for Saturday night headliner band performances, which includes a street dance.) Burnet Historic Square, Burnet.
- Hands on History (Georgetown) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Children are invited to get up close and personal with the history of Williamson County, learning something new and creating their own artifacts. This month, experience life during the Civil War and what people wore by making your own pocket watch. All ages welcome. FREE! Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: Tessy Lou & The Shotgun Stars (Bee Cave) – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Browse the vendors, order to-go food and have it delivered to your spot on the lawn, and enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors. FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.