There are so many FREE fun family adventures waiting for you this weekend… here are our top picks! You can choose from several family-focused festivals, check out all-day live music, discover a new-to-you independent bookstore (or 15), attend a kids’ art gallery party, or even learn to square dance!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- 12th Annual Texas Community Music Fest – Friday from 5:30-9:00 p.m., Saturday 10:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. All day music and fun for all! Ranging in size from single performers to ensembles of 70 pieces or more, and running the musical gamut from classical to rock to jazz to world beat and everything in between, TCMF XII truly has something for everybody’s musical taste. There will be an All-Star Children’s Revue with Ms. Kat and Joe McDermott on Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to noon. FREE! Central Market North, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Austin Book Store Crawl – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to midnight (hours vary by store). Independent Bookstore Day is on April 29th. What better way to celebrate than by visiting some of Austin’s awesome, diverse collection of independent bookstores – and possibly winning a huge grand prize in the process? Austin is home to 15+ independent bookstores. Visit three or more of these stores and complete a task at each one (and post it on social media using the hashtag #atxbookstorecrawl), and you’ll be entered in a drawing to win the grand prize, which includes giftcards, books, and other swag from participating bookstores. FREE! Click here for a list of participating stores in Austin.
- Unity Walk and Kids Fest – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Participate in a family walk, explore Reagan Community Schools, and check out fun activities including cooking demonstrations, Zumba, yoga, pony rides, magic shows, kids arts and crafts areas, health screenings, live music, a community resource fair, and more. FREE! Unity Walk begins at Webb Middle School, 601 E St Johns Ave, Austin. Activities take place at Reagan Early College High School, 7104 Berkman Dr, Austin.
- Mondo Clubhouse Kids Party – Saturday from 10:00 a.m to noon. Featuring the work of more than 25 of Mondo’s most renowned artists taking on their favorite Disney films, “Mondo x Cyclops Print Works Present Never Grow Up: A Disney Art Show” invites fans of all ages to explore exciting new interpretations of Disney’s beloved classic and modern masterpieces. The Mondo Clubhouse Kids Party will feature Disney-inspired treats, face painting, photo booth, and other fun activities. FREE! Mondo Gallery, 4115 Guadalupe St, Austin.
- Y at the Park: Family Play Day – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Enjoy a fun and active day in the park with your whole family and learn a bit about YMCA programs. Participate in more than 15 activity booths and a 1K Family Fun Run around the lake. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- El Mundo’s Kids Fest/Festival de los Niños – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. El Mundo Austin invites you to their Annual Kids Festival for storytime, clowns, face painting, bounce houses, live music, lots of door prizes, and more. FREE! Allison Elementary School, 515 Vargas St, Austin.
- Eeyore’s Birthday – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to dusk. Eeyore’s Birthday is one of Austin’s longest-running free events. In it’s 54th year, this festival is a little bit hippie and little bit hipster, offering music, art, and a live donkey named Eeyore. Don’t forget to wear a costume to this truly “Austin” family-friendly event. FREE! Please note: No parking will be available at the park. View parking and shuttle information here. Pease Park, 1100 Kingsbury St, Austin.
- SpringFest – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. All are invited to SpringFest, “The BIGGEST time in the smallest town!” You and your family can enjoy a host of activities including a huge KidZone, live music and performances, a boat expo, craft brewhaus, and more. Admission is FREE! KidZone attractions and rides require ticket purchase. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
- Jazz by the Books – Sunday from 12:30-6:00 p.m. Enjoy live music performances all afternoon in honor of Jazz Appreciation Month. Performers include St. Edwards University Jazz Combo, Connally High School Jazz Band, Pecan Street Brass, and the University of Texas Five Step Jazz Quintet. FREE! Recycled Reads Book Store, 5335 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Square Dance on the Lawn − Sunday from 3-5:00 p.m. Have a hoot square dancing on the lawn with caller Sharon Isaac and tunes by Cider. No experience or partner necessary. Family friendly and FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Red Poppy Festival (Georgetown) − Friday from 6-9:00 p.m., Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Known as the “Red Poppy Capital Of Texas,” the City of Georgetown will welcome the spring season and celebrate its signature red poppies. The festival encompasses three days of concerts, parades, contests, art, food, and family fun in the downtown area. This year’s music headliner will be Diamond Rio, performing on Saturday. Admission is FREE! Downtown Georgetown, 710 S Main St, Georgetown.
- Music in the Park: La Nuestro Band (Elgin) – Friday from 8-10:00 p.m. Listen to La Nuestro Band and enjoy the power of the horn section and a rhythm that keeps you dancing. FREE! Veterans’ Memorial Park, 109 Depot St, Elgin.
- 20th Annual Buda Country Fair and Wiener Dog Races (Buda) – Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The Lions Club of Buda invites you to attend the 20th Annual Buda Country Fair and Wiener Dog Races. The event features a BBQ Cook-Off, Buda Bee (Saturday), bake-off (Sunday), arts and craft booths, food, bouncy houses, a petting zoo, fish pond, and live music. Admission: $5 (ages 12+); children under 12 are FREE! Buda City Park, 204 San Antonio St, Buda.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- FREE Date Nights in Austin
- Favorite Restaurants with Playgrounds in Austin
- 30+ Don’t Miss Events in Austin This May
- Top 10 Family-Friendly Live Music Venues in Austin
- These 29 Adventures Pair Food With Family Fun All Around Austin
- Free Fun Calendar
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.