We’re on a mission this summer to revisit all of our favorite community pools. Yesterday, we headed back to Cedar Park to spend a few hours at Veterans Memorial — a pool that has it all!
Veterans Memorial Pool is an 8,300 square foot activity pool with a drop slide, jumping platform and water playground. Additional amenities include a family slide, cargo net log crossing, water basketball, and plenty of poolside tables in the shade (some of which are available to rent).
Veterans Memorial Pool is great for young children, with a large, beach entrance that offers bubbling fountains, a tube slide with a shallow landing, and a giant water bucket atop the playscape that is sure to get everyone drenched (even the lifeguard on the water playground wears a poncho).
The Family Slide is fun for siblings to race down together. Only one person can go in a lane at a time — so no lap-riding — but the pool is nice and shallow at the end. Plus, lifejackets can be worn on these slides, and a lifeguard is stationed at the bottom.
Bigger kids enjoy the cargo net log crossing, water basketball, drop slide, and jumping platform, in deeper parts of the pool.
The nice thing about Veterans Memorial Pool is the varying depths, from a platform where the shallow water is only 3″ deep, to a swimming area that is 3′ 6″ deep, to the pool at the bottom of the drop slide that is 12′ 6″ deep. All of my children, ages 2 to 15, had something fun to keep them occupied the entire time we were there.
What to know before you go:
- Lifejackets are free to borrow at the pool. There are several sizes. Most of the lifejackets are pretty beat up, but they are available to use if you need them.
- Kids must be at least 48″ tall — or have passed a swim test — to use the drop slide or jumping platform.
- In order to pass the swim test, a child must swim 50 yards (two lengths of the pool) unassisted, and without touching the wall or bottom of the pool.
- The depth of the pool for the drop slide and diving platform is 12′ 6″. There is a lifeguard in the pool at the bottom of the slide, and another lifeguard on top of the platform.
- No lifejackets or floatation devices are allowed on the drop slide or diving platform.
- The Family Slide permits lifejackets. The depth at the bottom of the three-lane orange and yellow slide is 2′ 0″.
- 2015 admission for the pool is: Children, ages 3 and under FREE; Children, ages 4 – 8 $2; Students, ages 9 – 17 $4; Adults, ages 18 and older $5; Senior citizens (60+) $2.
- Free admission with military ID on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.
- The pool opens daily at noon. You can see the 2015 hours here. (If you are reading this after 2015, click here for more information.)
Veterans Memorial Pool
2525 W. New Hope Drive
Cedar Park, Texas