Ah, back to school clothes shopping. Like it or not, there’s no getting around the fact that my kids can’t start the new school year in the well-loved (i.e. too small and possibly holey) clothes they’ve been abusing all summer long. But how can we get our kids looking sharp on the first day without breaking the bank?
Lucky for us, Austin is overflowing with thrift and consignment shops where fashionable finds can often be found on a budget. (Some will even pay for or take donations of your old clothes!) Check out our top spots for back to school shopping on a budget in Austin.
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
Note: This list is by no means exhaustive because it would be impossible to list every bargain spot in Austin. We tried to present a good mix of options–some for those who enjoy the thrill of the hunt and others for those who prefer a more carefully curated experience. Our hope is that you’ll happen upon a spot you never knew existed. And if you have a favorite we didn’t mention here, feel free to add it in the comments. Happy shopping!
Kid To Kid: Every Kid to Kid provides hand-selected gently used items, as well as an affordable selection of brand new items. Stores are locally owned and locally stocked with boys and girls clothing sizes 0-14 (some stores carry girls’ juniors sizes and up to size 20 in boys). Buys items for cash or store credit.
- 5300 S MoPac Expy #102b, Austin, TX 78749 / 512-358-0915
- 14010 US-183 #420, Austin, TX 78717 / 512-336-5550
- 575 E FM 150 Ste D, Kyle, TX 78640 / 512-268-9334
Once Upon a Child: Save up to 70% off of original retail prices on gently used boys and girls clothing sizes 0-20. Buys items for cash or store credit.
- 13945 Hwy 183 N, Ste D-130, Austin, TX 78717 / 512-335-3004
- 7010 Hwy 71 W, Austin, TX 78735 / 512-301-5004
- 1601 South IH-35, Ste 325, Round Rock, TX 78664 / 512-467-4699
Sparkle Kids Upscale Resale: Locally owned kids shop that buys, sells, and trades the best in children’s clothing size 0-10.
- 4800 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78756 / 512-420-9413
- 2810 Manchaca Rd, Austin, TX 78704 / 512-712-5365
Buffalo Exchange: Current trends, jeans, designer, and vintage at a bargain. Buy, sell or trade your clothing for cash or store credit on the spot.
- 2904 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-480-9922
Monkies Vintage and Thrift: Specializing in unique apparel from the 1950s through 1990s, with robust selections of Western wear, collectible sports jerseys, and original concert tees.
- 1904 Guadalupe St, Ste C, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-520-4595
Plato’s Closet: Plato’s Closet offers brand name apparel and accessories for teens and twenty somethings. Buys and trades.
- 10515 N Mo-Pac Expy, Austin, TX 78759 / 512-795-9545
- 5400 Brodie Ln, Ste 240 Austin, TX 78745 / 512-394-4868
- 2000 S IH-35, Ste L2, Round Rock, TX 78681 / 512-733-1919
- 1335 E Whitestone Blvd, Ste D-145, Cedar Park, TX 78613 / 512-259-8118
Uptown Cheapskate: At Uptown, you’ll find fantastic vintage plus trendy new and gently used clothes at a fraction of retail prices. Buys for cash or store credit.
- 3005 S Lamar Blvd, Ste 110-A, Austin, TX 78704 / 512-462-4646
The Whole Family
Assistance League of Austin Thrift House: New and gently-used items. Proceeds benefit Assistance League of Austin’s philanthropic programs. Donations accepted.
- 4901 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78756 / 512-458-2633
Austin Pets Alive! Thrift Store: A thrift store for humans that allows customers to “shop for you, save a life,” as proceeds will go towards APA!’s program costs. Donations accepted.
- 5801 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78756 / 512-373-3099
Hope Family Thrift Store: Gently used quality merchandise at affordable prices. Proceeds provide support for disaster survivors and families. Donations accepted.
- 1122 E 51st St, Austin, TX 78723 / 512/467-4940
Savers: Huge, well-organized stores. Donations accepted.
- 5222 Burnet Rd #600, Austin, TX 78756 / 512-323-0707
- 4001 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704 / 512-442-8011
- 11101 Pecan Park Blvd, Austin, TX 78613 / 512-257-0359
St. Vincent de Paul Boutique & Thrift Store: Well organized thrift store with something for everyone. Proceeds help the needy in our community. Donations accepted.
- 901 W Braker Ln, Austin, TX 78758 / 512 442-5652
Texas Thrift Austin: Huge selection of used, new, and nearly new items. Donations accepted.
- 5319 I-35, Austin, TX 78723 / 512-380-0025
Thrift Town: A clean, bright, and organized place to shop for well-priced merchandise. Donations accepted.
- 5726 Manchaca Rd, Austin, TX 78745 / 512-442-7200.
Top Drawer Thrift: A small, funky thrift store with a huge heart. All proceeds benefit Project Transitions. Donations accepted.
- 4902 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78756 / 512-454-5161
- 7101B Woodrow Ave, Austin, TX 78757 / 512-454-8646 Ext. 105
Treasure City: Quite possibly the thriftiest thrift store in Austin. Treasure City works towards zero-waste: they throw away as little as possible and partner with Ecology Action to recycle whatever they can. Donations accepted
- 2142 E 7th St, Austin, TX 78702 / 512-524-2820
Bonus Spot for Bargain School Supplies
Austin Creative Reuse: ACR collects, distributes, and sells reusable materials donated from industry and individuals. The inventory changes quickly, but you can nearly always find pencils, paper, art supplies, etc. for incredibly low prices. Donations accepted.
- 6406 N IH-35 #1801, Austin, TX 78752 / 512-375-3041