Catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN!
- Free Admission to the LBJ Presidential Library – Monday, May 30 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish that the Library be available to all, the LBJ Presidential Library offers FREE admission on Memorial Day. LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
- Memorial Day Service at Texas State Cemetery – Monday, May 30 at 9:30 a.m. The festivities will begin with The Austin Symphonic MicroBand playing patriotic music. The ceremony itself will begin at 10:00 a.m. and will honor two American Revolutionary War veterans who are buried at the Texas State Cemetery. Toward the end of the ceremony, reenactors will fire a memorial salute. Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Alanna Cook will be the featured speaker. This service is open to all who wish to attend and takes place in the SW section of the cemetery, known as “Republic Hill.” In case of rain, the service will be in the Gallery of the Museum. FREE! Texas State Cemetery, 909 Navasota St, Austin.
- Memorial Day at the Capitol – Monday, May 30 at 11:00 a.m. Artist Ken Pridgeon will present portraits to families of fallen Texans in the Ground Floor Rotunda. At noon, the Pasadena High School Choir will deliver a special patriotic performance in the First Floor Rotunda. FREE! Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin.
- APL Bike Crawl – East Side – Friday, June 3 at 11:00 a.m. Bike crawl route will include stops at Terrazas, Carver, Willie Mae Kirk, Cepeda and Ruiz. Enjoy snacks and drinks, including breakfast tacos, at Terrazas Branch, the starting location, and a small party beginning at 1:00 p.m. at Ruiz Branch, the end location, including tables with local bike organizations. FREE! APL – Terrazas Branch, 1105 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Ballet Under the Stars – Friday, June 3 at 8:00 p.m. The beautiful setting of the park will become the backdrop of Les Sylphides, a ballet blanc. Blanc, translated “white,” refers to the wearing of long, white tutus and became a characteristic of Romantic ballets. When explored from different perspectives, the word takes on new meanings. For some it is the absence of something or a fresh start and for others it is a barrier or limit at its most intense. Discover what blanc means to you. Arrive early and share picnics with friends and family under the beautiful evening sky. The dancers will begin warming up an hour before the show and this provides a wonderful opportunity to see the preparations they make to create art with their bodies. Concessions will be available for purchase. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
For much more free fun happening this week in Austin, check out What’s Up? Weekly!