Catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN! Here are some of the exciting events you can look forward to this week.
- HAAM Benefit Day – Tuesday, September 13. HAAM Benefit Day is a uniquely Austin event where businesses donate a portion of the day’s proceeds to HAAM to support musicians’ health. Musicians, most of whom are HAAM members, perform throughout the day at retail stores, outside stages, and more. The event runs from 6 a.m. to well past midnight and community members are invited to shop, eat, listen to great live music, and enjoy. View lineup and locations here. FREE!
- Yalla, Nurgus! Experience Bellydancing with the UT Libraries – Thursday, September 15 from 4-6:00 p.m. Get your hips moving at this lesson, demonstration, and dancing event. Join the UT Libraries in the PCL Learning Commons to learn about the bellydancing tradition and how to bellydance, catch clips of their new digital Egyptian bellydance film collection, and try out your own moves with professional guidance. FREE! Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL), Learning Lab 1, 101 East 21st St., Austin.
- Movies in the Park: Frozen – Thursday, September 15 at 8:00 p.m. Movies in the Park is a series of free films brought to you by the Austin Parks Foundation, and presented by the #1 movie theater in America, the Alamo Drafthouse. Don’t be afraid to belt out your best rendition of Let It Go at this screening of the Disney smash hit Frozen. Be sure to bring a blanket and invite your friends – extra kudos to groups that come in full Elsa, Anna, Kristoff and Olaf regalia! Dogs, picnics, and lawn chairs are welcome. Rated PG. FREE! Dick Nichols Park, 8011 Beckett Rd, Austin.
- Mother Earth Day Festival – Friday, September 16 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. This festival is designed for environmental awareness and fun, especially relating to Barton Springs and Barton Creek. A special emphasis is placed on water conservation. Every activity is made to ensure that kids from 4-13 years of age have a great time and an interactive learning experience. All families and all ages are welcome. FREE! Barton Springs, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Viva Mexico – Friday, September 16 from 6-9:00 p.m. Celebrate Mexico’s Independence Day with live entertainment by Ballet Folklorico Mexikayotl, Mariachi Amor, and other musical guests. FREE! ESB-MACC, 600 River St, Austin.
For more weekday fun, check out What’s Up? Weekly!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.