- SXSWedu Education Expo – Tuesday, March 10 from 2-8:00 p.m. Celebrate the Central Texas community’s hunger and passion for lifelong learning, from cradle to career and beyond. For learners of all ages, the Education Expo provides hands-on, interactive exhibits in six pavilions designed to assist attendees in navigating the event: College Pavilion, Employer Pavilion, STEM Pavilion hosted by MAES, Continuing & Informal Education Pavilion, Music & Arts Pavilion, and Health & Wellness Pavilion. Prominent speakers will engage attendees within each pavilion, speaking on topics ranging from STEM education and college planning to informal education and local school initiatives. RSVP here. FREE! Austin Convention Center, 500 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Studio Spotlight: Director’s Choice (RSVP) – Thursday, March 12 at Noon and 6:00 p.m. Have you ever wanted to watch a professional dance company in action? Up-close, personal, and informal Studio Spotlight events give guests a free, behind-the-scenes look at the choreography and elements of an upcoming Ballet Austin production, while it is still in the works. Dancers perform excerpts from the show while Artistic Director Stephen Mills and Associate Artistic Director Michelle Martin lead a brief lecture and Q&A. The express lunchtime session also includes an optional costume viewing and dancer-focused Q&A from 12:30-12:45 p.m. Reserve your seat for either session here. FREE! Ballet Austin, AustinVentures StudioTheater, 501 W 3rd St, Austin.
- SX Create – Friday, March 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Doing creative and revolutionary things with new technologies embodies the spirit of the SXSW Interactive Festival, and nowhere is this more evident than the diverse mix of activities at SX Create. From 3D printing to drones to biohacking and much more, this community event showcases the disruptive solutions that are shaping our future. Participants include Girlstart, Thinkery, Dremel, Raspberry Pi, and more. FREE with Guest Pass wristbands, available in advance or onsite at the event (only guests age 13 and up need a free wristband). The Long Center Terrace, 701 West Riverside Dr, Austin.
- SXSW Gaming Expo – Friday, March 13 from Noon to 8:00 p.m. Drawing developers, manufacturers, and fans from all facets of the community, the Gaming Expo is the epicenter for gaming culture at SXSW. This diverse range of events combines well-loved elements of geek culture with the cross-console video game world. FREE with Guest Pass wristbands, available in advance or onsite at the event (only guests age 13 and up need a free wristband). Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Rock The Lot – Friday, March 13 from 4-11:00 p.m. Rock the Lot for music, food, and good times. Rocking out in the shadow of the Congress Avenue bridge during SXSW weekend, performers include: Graham Wilkinson, The Peterson Brothers, Whiskey Shivers, The Crooks, and the Dirty River Boys. Food trucks and tents will be on site with food, locally brewed beer, and other beverages available for purchase. FREE entry on a first-come, first-served basis. All ages welcome. Austin American-Statesman HQ, 305 S Congress Ave, Austin.
For 65 events happening around Austin this week, Monday to Friday, check out What’s Up Weekly! You can also start planning your free SXSW adventures!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.