Catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
- Free Admission at the Umlauf – Tuesday, June 7 – Friday, June 10 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Through the generous donations of our community during Amplify Austin, the museum and garden will waive admission fees all summer long. (Please note that the garden is closed on Monday.) FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Trailer Food Tuesdays – Tuesday, June 7 from 5-9:00 p.m. Sample the delicious food trucks of Austin in one convenient location featuring the best view in town. The downtown skyline is the backdrop as 14-16 of Austin’s finest food trailers roll on to the City Terrace. Add family-friendly live music and Austin’s Best Downtown View, and you’ve got a huge hit. Bring your picnic blanket, friends, and family. View the music and food truck lineup here. This event is FREE with food and drink available for purchase. The Long Center Terrace, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Joe McDermott Concert (Round Rock) – Wednesday, June 8 at 10:00 a.m. Kick off the Library’s Summer Reading Program with a FREE outdoor concert by Joe McDermott. Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Nature Nights: Harnessing Fire – Thursday, June 9 at 6-9:00 p.m. Fire is a valuable tool used in managing wildlands. See the equipment and tools used for prescribed burns and wildfires with experts from the Wildflower Center, City of Austin Fire Department, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Travis County Star Flight, UT McDonald Observatory, Austin Water Utility Wildlands Water Conservation Division, UT Fire Prevention Services, Prescribed Burn Alliance of Texas, and Texas A&M Forestry Service. Don’t miss the Travis County Star Flight helicopter landing and taking off from the Play Lawn. FREE! Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin.
- Science Under the Stars: Plants on Fire – Thursday, June 9 at 8:00 p.m. Is wildland fire friend or foe? Can we control it–and should we try to, every time? What do the plants have to say about it? Find out how fire affects plant communities (and some animals), and how we can use fire as a tool to maintain ecosystems. Events start at 8:00 p.m. outdoors. Arrive early for refreshments and fun activities for kids of all ages. Guided tours of the field lab are available. Wear sturdy shoes and bring water. FREE! Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin.
Bonus nearly free event:
Children’s Day Art Park: Sara Hickman and Family Time Rocks– Wednesday, June 8 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. One thing Austin families can count on every summer is live music and fun galore at the weekly Children’s Day Art Park. From interaction with members of The Austin Symphony, who wander the crowds performing for children, to onstage jams by some of Austin’s most beloved children’s entertainers, it doesn’t get much better than these festive Wednesday mornings in the Symphony Square amphitheater. 50¢ per child. Adults are FREE. Symphony Square, 1101 Red River St, Austin.