Thanks to KXAN Morning News for sharing our picks for the best free weekday fun!
- Hillside Concert Series – Tuesday, July 1 at 7:00 p.m. The annual Hillside Concert Series begins this week and will be held every Tuesday evening in July. This week, Nash Hernandez takes the stage at 7:00 p.m. followed by Cinco Dolce at 8:00 p.m. FREE! A. B. Cantu/Pan American Recreation Center, 2100 East 3rd St, Austin.
- Sound and Cinema: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Wednesday, July 2 at 8:00 p.m. Urban Achievers Brass Band will perform a tribute to Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, followed by the film screening on The Alamo’s giant inflatable outdoor screen. Folding chairs and blankets are encouraged. Picnics are allowed, but no outside alcohol may be brought onto the Long Center grounds. The food trailers will be open by 6 p.m., and the sunset concert will begin at 8 p.m. The movie will start at dark (around 9 p.m.). Rated PG. FREE! The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- 101X Summer Cinema: Independence Day – Wednesday, July 2 at 8:30 p.m. Arrive early at Central Market with your blankets, lawn chairs and appetites. Food specials in the café. Movies start at dusk (around 8:30). Rated PG-13. FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Free Admission to the LBJ Library – Friday, July 4 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The LBJ Library will be FREE to all guests visiting on The Fourth of July. Visit the interactive exhibits and watch compelling films about LBJ and Lady Bird. Don’t forget to tour “Sixty From The ’60s,” a retrospective of the 60 most influential individuals of that seminal decade featuring music, clothing, artwork, books and posters, iconic items, and more. The LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
- 38th Annual Austin Symphony H-E-B July 4th Concert & Fireworks – Friday, July 4 from 4-10:00 p.m. Tens of thousands of families will be decked out in red, white, and blue and heading to Circuit of the America’s award-winning Austin360 Amphitheater for an amazing event complete with a fireworks display, symphonic patriotic classics, and even a little auto-themed music for the race fans in attendance. COTA will host a variety of fun, old-fashioned July 4th activities, including interactive games and contests for the whole family, starting at 4:00 p.m. The orchestra will perform at 8:30 p.m., followed by “mile-high” fireworks at approximately 9:30 p.m. FREE! Circuit of The Americas, 9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd, Austin.
For 110 family-friendly events happening around town this week, check out What’s Up? Weekly!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.