You can catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN! Here are some of the exciting events you should put on your calendar this week.
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
- Texas Capitol Exhibit: Get Inspired by Barbara Jordan’s Legacy – Monday, February 6 – Friday, February 10 from 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Celebrate Barbara Jordan’s impact on equal rights and social justice and become inspired. Designed to highlight Barbara Jordan’s lifetime of significant contributions to society as a politician, policymaker, activist and educator, the audio and visual tribute is sponsored by the Barbara Jordan Freedom Foundation. The displays are created from the archive housed at Texas Southern University, Barbara Jordan’s alma mater, with contributions from the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, where she was a professor for 17 years. FREE! Texas State Capitol North Central Gallery, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Celebrate Chinese New Year – Tuesday, February 7 at 10:30 a.m. This very special Chinese Bilingual Storytime will celebrate Chinese New Year. Enjoy stories and crafts celebrating the new year, plus snacks from Panda Express. For children ages 3-6, alongside their caregivers. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Texas Radio Live – Wednesday, February 8 from 6-8:00 p.m. Texas Radio Live brings you the very best Texas music with performances from Texas musicians. This week, Dale Watson, Ray Benson and Chuck Hawthorne perform. FREE but donations to support the KDRP Radio Mission are appreciated. Read about Catherine’s experience here. Guero’s Oak Garden, 1412 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- Make Your Own Origami Heart Valentines – Thursday, February 9 from 2-4:00 p.m. Make your very own origami heart valentine with all supplies provided. FREE! Terra Toys, 2438 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Science Under the Stars: Insects Unlocked – Thursday, February 9 from 6:15-8:00 p.m. Insects Unlocked is a public domain project from UT’s Insect Collection. In 2015, a team of student and community volunteers crowd-funded a campaign to create thousands of open, copyright-free images. From more than 200 small contributions, they built an insect photography field kit and photo studio. Hear UT grad Alejandro Santillana talk about this exciting project and how you can get involved with the UTIC. There will also be snacks, natural history displays, and activities designed for kids of all ages. Guided tours of BFL will be offered, dependent on weather and light conditions (wear sturdy shoes and bring water). FREE! Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin.
For many more weekday events in Austin, check out What’s Up? Weekly!