You can catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN! Here are some of the exciting events you should put on your calendar this week.
- Mozart’s Annual Light Show – Monday, December 19 – Friday, December 23. Starts at 6:00 p.m. each evening and replays at the top of every hour until 11:00 p.m. Enjoy dazzling lights set to music. See photos here. FREE! Mozart’s Coffee Roasters, 3825 Lake Austin Blvd., Austin.
- The Driskill’s 130th Anniversary Celebration – Tuesday, December 20 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Stop by the hotel for a walk down memory lane, partake in historical tours, and enjoy a taste of The Driskill. Bites of the famous Driskill Cinnamon Roll and signature 1886 Chocolate Cake will be available throughout the day, and historical tours of the hotel will take place at the start of every hour. There will also be photo opportunities to cherish the 130th Anniversary and an archivist will be onsite to record guests’ treasured memories from time spent at The Driskill for posterity. City, state proclamation readings, birthday cake and bubbles in The Driskill Ballroom at 1 p.m. FREE! The Driskill, 604 Brazos St, Austin.
- Meet Santa – Tuesday, December 20 from 1-3:00 p.m. Meet Santa for cookies and hot chocolate. FREE! Old Bakery & Emporium, 1006 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Minor Mishap’s Winter Solstice Lantern Parade – Wednesday, December 21 at 5:30 p.m. Join in a celebration of light, music, and community on the longest night of the year. Everyone will bring lanterns (flashlight-based, no flames, please) and gather together out in nature, under the dark sky, to celebrate being alive. Won’t that be beautiful? The parade route is extremely short to make it easy for small children and people of all ages to attend. Family-friendly and FREE! Seaholm Power Plant, 300 Bowie St, Austin.
- TubaChristmas – Friday, December 23 at Noon. Austin families are invited to hear memorable Christmas music played by many different forms of tubas and euphoniums. FREE! Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin.
For many more free events happening this week in Austin, check out What’s Up? Weekly!