You can catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN! Here are some of the exciting events you should put on your calendar this week.
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
- Trail of Lights – Monday, December 12 – Friday, December 16 from 7-10:00 p.m. The Austin holiday tradition returns for its 52nd year. Gate tickets are FREE through December 16. Find parking and shuttle information here. Read tips for planning your trip here. Zilker Park, 2100 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- FREE Admission to the Mexic-Arte Museum – Monday, December 12 – Thursday, December 15 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday, December 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Admission is FREE for the entire month of December. Read about the upcoming exhibitions. Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Free Noon Concert – Thursday, December 15 at Noon. Take a 30-minute lunchtime break for a festive holiday sing-along. Join One Ounce Opera chorus, Nathan Quiring on piano and Win Bent on stand up bass. Lots of fun singing holidays songs, and family friendly. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Holiday Big Sing – Thursday, December 15 at 5:30 p.m. Raise your voice with hundreds at the popular holiday Big Sing at the Blanton. Craig Hella Johnson leads each Big Sing gathering in vocal warm-ups and short, melodic songs that can be easily learned. As musical hosts, Conspirare Symphonic Choir members are among the audience to sing along and provide musical support and encouragement. Song sheets are provided. The Big Sing is open to everyone, regardless of musical training and experience. Through a fun, no-pressure group singing experience, audience members learn basic vocal technique and sing as one with hundreds of others. FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E MLK Jr Blvd, Austin.
- Southwest Key 8th Annual Posada – Thursday, December 15 from 6-8:00 p.m. Enjoy an evening performance of Ballet Folkloríco, Teatro, and Mariachi. Festivities include arts and crafts, piñata, hot chocolate, and a visit from Santa and a procession through the Govalle/Johnston Terrace neighborhood where children will sing at the doors of neighborhood homes. FREE! Southwest Key El Centro de Familia, 6002 Jain Ln, Austin.
For many more weekday events in Austin, check out What’s Up? Weekly!