This weekend, immerse yourself in Austin! You can experience FREE culture galore — a pops concert in Zilker Park, your choice of events at several of Austin’s many wonderful museums, a family food festival, and a chance to meet the cast of the upcoming Zilker Summer Musical. Explore even more by joining a city-wide scavenger hunt!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Austin Civic Orchestra Pops Concert – Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m. Along with songs by the Beatles, the family-friendly program includes pieces from Hamilton and Game of Thrones, jazz music, and more. You will get a chance to conduct the orchestra in John Philip Sousa’s “The Stars and Stripes Forever” by participating in a raffle with one winner. Mellizoz Tacos and Good Times Ice Cream food trucks will be on hand with delicious food available for purchase. Feel free to bring a picnic basket, cooler, and blanket to enhance your hillside experience. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2206 William Barton Dr, Austin.
- Sábados en Familia: Environmental Justice – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. During Sábados en Familia you and your family are invited for a variety of arts and wellness activities as well as a free healthy lunch. This month, celebrate Environmental Justice. FREE! Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River St, Austin.
- Austin Summer Scavenger Hunt & Water Drive – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. BANGS Shoes, Thread Wallet, and Arvo Watches will hide goody bags of winnings in six locations throughout Austin, publishing clues on their social media accounts leading participants along. After the hunt, they will hold a water drive at Zilker Park where people are encouraged to bring gallon jugs or cases of water that will be donated to Caritas of Austin – a nonprofit providing a service continuum for those experiencing poverty. The first 30 people to donate will receive a free customized threads wallet (and the priceless gratification of helping other people), handed to them by the sisters behind BANGS Shoes, the guys from Arvo Watches, and friends of Threads Wallets. The hunt is family-friendly and FREE! Zilker Park, 2100 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Taste of North Austin – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Calling all foodies! The 10th annual all-day family food festival will feature delectable tastes, beverage sampling, shopping, and live music. Children’s activities throughout the day are FREE and include balloon twisters, caricature artists, and crafts. Food samplings and VIP access will require a wristband purchase. Beer and wine will be available for purchase at select restaurant booths. Domain II, 3225 Amy Donovan Plaza, Austin.
- Second Saturdays are for Families: Exploradores Del Arte – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Kick off the summer with a party to celebrate a new arrival: a brand-new Spanish language Action Pack. Be one of the first to take this art explorer’s tool kit around the grounds, make a colorful Ojo painting with artist Mayra Zamora, and grab a snack at a food truck during this family-friendly fiesta. Speakers of all languages are encouraged to explore. Reservations are required to participate in the family art-making workshops. FREE! The Contemporary Austin at Laguna Gloria, 3809 W 35th St, Austin.
- Ney Day – Saturday from noon to 5:00 p.m. Celebrate Elisabet Ney and her inspirational legacy. There will be live music from The Hey Lollies, Las Tesoros de San Antonio, The Jones Family Singers, Riders Against The Storm, and Ruby Fray. Families can enjoy activities including sculpting and art demos, food trucks, hula hoopers, technology activities, clay crafting, health screenings, bookmaking, and the public opening of two new temporary outdoor sculptures. Booths from a wide variety of arts and social groups will be present too. Elizabeth McQueen will serve as MC. Admission is FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
- Summer Musical Preview at Barrel O’ Fun – Saturday at noon. Zilker Theatre Productions is delighted to present The Wizard of Oz for the 59th annual Zilker Summer Musical (ZSM) opening July 6, and you can get a preview at Barrel O’ Fun. Join the cast and crew for this special showcase of what to expect with the full musical. Event starts at noon with a Meet & Greet with the cast, immediately followed by performances on the Barrel O’ Fun stage. FREE! Barrel O’Fun at Alamo Drafthouse Mueller, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120B, Austin.
- Fitness in the Park: Kids Yoga – Sunday at 9:30 a.m. Austin Parks Foundation and Friends of Patterson Park invite you to Kids Yoga with The Little Yoga House. This class is for kids ages 3+ with a parent or caregiver. FREE! Patterson Park, 4200 Brookview Rd, Austin.
- UMLAUF Family Day – Sunday from noon to 4:00 p.m. UMLAUF’s June Family Day “jumps” into Summer featuring numerous Austin’s Springfree Trampolines throughout the Garden, ready for action for kids of all ages. Other hands-on activities include a sing-a-long led by the Armstrong Community Music School and performances by the Rock Lab School of Music and Small Wonders Puppet Theater. FREE! UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- Sandbank Shadow Factory Presents: Rapunzel – Sunday at 3:00 p.m. A shadow puppet retelling of the classic story, set in contemporary times. The heroine is locked away in an abandoned high-rise building and lives at the mercy of a twisted, grafting landlady posing as her grandmother. Recommended for ages 5-10. FREE! APL – Manchaca Road Branch, 5500 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- Woodland Faerie Trail – Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The award-winning, 5th annual Woodland Faerie Trail features faerie homes and gardens created by Austin area gardeners, architects, artisans, businesses, clubs, families, and school groups. Explore the abodes of the faeries and gnomes along the Woodland Faerie Trail through the escarpment pathway and see who is home. FREE with Garden admission, which is $1-3 (for ages 3+). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Alamo Kids Camp Movies: Sing, Matilda, and The Pirates! Band of Misfits – Friday, Saturday and Sunday, various days and times. Alamo Kids Camp now has a “choose-your-own-ticket price” model ranging from $1-$5 per person – you choose the amount. This new model not only allows for tickets to be purchased online, in advance with reserved seating, but also 100% of ticket sales will be donated to local nonprofits helping families. Now, while you’re enjoying some summer movie fun, you’re also helping your local community. Confirm showtimes and reserve your tickets here. All ages will be admitted to this show but families with loud children will be asked to leave. Alamo Drafthouse, various locations.
- PBS Kids at the Alamo: Nature Cat’s Ocean Commotion – Saturday and Sunday. View showtimes here. Nature Cat follows Fred, a house cat who dreams of exploring the great outdoors. This is an all-ages show with Alamo for All rules – noisy young fans won’t be asked to leave the theater. Purchase tickets online for a $1-$3 donation. Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin and Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter, 5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- 2017 Guide to Summer Fun in Austin
- 100+ Summer Adventures Checklist
- Get Creative with Lady Bird the Owl to Win Epic Summer Prizes!
- Free And Cheap Summer Movies In Austin
- Free Fun Calendar