Now through September 5, 2016, participating Marriott properties in Texas are offering a Splash Down Texas promotion, to encourage families to get out and explore our great state! JW Marriott, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels are helping vacationers dig deep into the heart of Texas by giving access to fabulous destinations while earning reward points faster. This week, we will be giving away hotel stays at Marriott hotels in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, and sharing fun things families can do while vacationing in those cities. Today, we’re sharing things to do in Houston with kids, and giving away a one-night weekend stay at Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental!
If you’re looking for a fun family trip near Austin, look no further than the spectacular offerings of Houston. Owning the bragging rights as the largest city in Texas, Houston offers something for everyone to see and do. Whether you’re looking for great outdoor spaces, beautiful walking trails and gardens, thought-provoking and interactive art and science museums, or great spots for family photo opps, Houston has something to please every member of your family. Also, don’t let Houston’s size intimidate you, many of the major attractions are centrally located and close to one another so that you can spend a day (or a week!) exploring Houston’s wonders without worries about long drive times.
While much of Houston can be enjoyed for free, we found that with so many amazing things to see and do, purchasing a CityPASS gave us a significant discount on several of our favorite attractions.
Things to do in Houston with Kids
Centrally located in the heart of Houston, Hermann Park is not just a fantastic park, but it also offers a collection of Houston’s most popular attractions and green spaces and should be the heart of any visit to H-Town. You could spend an entire trip to Houston just visiting the different attractions in Hermann Park!
Our favorite things to do in Hermann Park include:
- Spend the day exploring The Houston Zoo
- Check out the Dinosaurs, Butterflies, and Planetarium at The Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Spot the Koi under the footbridges and enjoy the tranquility at The Japanese Garden
- Ride the Hermann Park Train
- Cruise around McGovern Lake in a pedal boat
- Play and splash at Buddy Carruth Playground for All Children
- Catch a show and then roll down the giant hill at Miller Outdoor Theatre
- Splash around in the interactive fountains at Molly Ann Smith Plaza
- Take pictures with Sam Houston, the Pioneer Memorial Obelisk, Mecom Fountain, Mecom Rockwall Colonnade, and the bubbly pink Dillidiidae Sculptures by Sharon Englestein
- Have a picnic near the lake
- Enjoy a shady walk under the historic live oaks on Marvin Taylor Trail
- Get a bird’s-eye view of the park by walking the spiral path to the top of the 30 foot garden mount at McGovern Centennial Gardens
And if that’s not enough, there’s still more to do at Hermann Park including additional art, sculptures and monuments, gift shops, restaurants, a golf course, and miles of trails. Make sure to visit the interactive map to plan your trip before you go.
Houston Museum District
Located near Hermann Park, the Houston Museum District is filled with more great places to explore both fine and contemporary art and to enjoy interactive children’s exhibits. It offers 19 museums divided into four walkable zones.
Our favorite museums for families include:
- The Menil Collection – located in a 30 acre neighborhood of art, The Menil Collection offers several galleries, a Byzantine Fresco Chapel, the Rothko Chapel, and beautiful green spaces shaded by live oak trees.
- The Children’s Museum – A fun museum featuring interactive hands on exhibits for the whole family.
- The Museum of Fine Arts Houston – Two gallery buildings featuring fine art from around the world and the Cullen Sculpture Garden.
- Have fun creating your own list of favorites by visiting the other museums in the district!
Discovery Green is a 12 acre park in the heart of downtown Houston. It offers a number of green spaces, trails, performance areas, gardens, fountains, art, water areas, restaurants, and a playground. Grab a bite, explore the outdoors, catch a show, and play all in one spot. There’s always something fun to do at Discovery Green, so make sure to check the website to help plan your visit.
Fun Photo Spots
Don’t leave town without getting some great photos! Houston has a seemingly endless number of spots to get fun family pics. Our favorites include:
- Biscuit Paint Wall – 1435 Westheimer Road – Stop by the Biscuit Paint Wall for a fun, colorful family photo. The wall is popular with locals and tourists alike, so have fun watching everyone else pose while you wait for your turn at the wall.
- Water Wall Park – 2800 Post Oak Boulevard – Water Wall Park is a favorite spot for both adults and kids. The park features A 64-foot semi-circle fountain of rushing water that runs down the front and back of the fountain walls. It’s fun to try to talk over the roar of the water, cool off in the spray, and it makes a great backdrop for family photos. The surrounding park offers a large lawn surrounded by over 186 live oak trees.
- Sugar & Cloth Color Wall – 3302 Canal Street – This colorful wall offers opportunities to pick your favorite color as a backdrop for close up images, or have your photographer stand across the street and get a picture with everyone on their own stripe.
- American Statesmanship Park (Mount Rush Hour) – 140 Elder Street – Get a photo with these larger than life busts of Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington created by local sculptor David Adickes.
This is just a small sampling of the fun family activities that Houston has to offer. There are world class restaurants and shopping areas, international districts to explore, along with festivals, sporting events, and close proximity to the Space Center and Galveston Island. Be sure to check out the Visit Houston website and Houston on the Cheap for help planning your next trip to Texas’ largest city!
Where to Stay: Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental
The Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental is perfect for families, with its outdoor saltwater pool and up close and personal view of the airport runway! This 573-room hotel is the only hotel that has a tram system that connects travelers straight where they need to go in the airport, plus it just underwent a multimillion dollar renovation. Be among the first guests to enjoy the hotel’s updated exterior, revamped guest rooms and suites, upgraded lobby, restaurants, public areas and fitness center.
Texas Summer Marriott Deal
Marriott wants to insure travelers have a very rewarding summer! It’s time to hit the highways and celebrate the relaxing summer season Texas has to offer. Marriott Rewards® members will find earning points easier this summer by staying at participating Marriott properties in Texas.
From Houston’s NASA Space Center to Austin’s live music scene to San Antonio’s Alamo Mission, then north to Dallas for world-class shopping and art and don’t forget Fort Worth’s Stockyards and renowned art museums, travelers will enjoy more points with more stays. Marriott Rewards® members can pack their bags and take a road trip driving to several destinations while racking up points to use at future destinations.
Now through September 5, 2016, stay at a participating Marriott property and Marriott Rewards® members can earn 2,000 Marriott Reward® points. It’s free to join the program and points are earned right away. Members also enjoy free standard in-room Wi-Fi and other exclusive offers and promotions just by registering for the program. Guests who book a two-night stay at any of the participating Texas hotels will also get a $25 food and beverage credit! Click here for more information.
Enter to Win
Would you like to win a “Stay for Breakfast” weekend package at the Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental? Just fill out the form below for your chance to win! One winner will be selected at random on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 and notified by email. One entry per person, please. Official Rules.
You may also be interested in: Things to do in Dallas with Kids + Marriott Hotel Stay Giveaway and Things to do in San Antonio with Kids + Marriott Hotel Stay Giveaway!