Little Land Play Gym & Pediatric Therapy is a rare gem: a clean, safe, and super fun environment where babies, preschoolers and young children can climb, slide, jump, and swing to their heart’s content. This indoor playnasium, located in Northwest Austin, is the perfect spot for kids to exercise both their bodies and their imaginations, while making a few new friends along the way.
On a recent “hang out day,” as my three-year-old calls non-preschool days that revolve around my efforts to delight (and exhaust) her, my daughter and I headed over to Little Land Play Gym for a few hours of fun. We arrived soon after the gym opened its doors at 9 a.m., hoping to beat the rush. I thought it would be a great time to get some photos, but my daughter had no interest in stopping and posing. There were too many fun “rides” to explore!
Designed with kids of all abilities in mind, Little Land Play Gym offers a great variety of physical therapy equipment, all of which can be enjoyed by the public during daily Open Play hours. “We opened Little Land to offer a new indoor play environment that our area doesn’t have,” says co-founder Ernie Beltz Jr. “Kids can come and play and have fun but also develop and grow at the same time, using equipment that would typically be used in therapy, but that’s developmental for all kids. So, beneficial and fun all at the same time.”
Little Land Play Gym offers countless options for kids to move and test their physical boundaries, in a safe space. My daughter was in constant motion for several hours. It was fun to watch her navigate all of the unique swings, rings, and other hanging things.
Little Land Play Gym focuses on:
- Sensory development equipment and activities
- Fine and gross motor skill development
- Social skills and interaction with other children
- Development based play and activities
All of the attentive parents, grandparents, teachers, and caregivers at the gym during our visit seemed to be onboard with these goals. As the area filled with active littles, all adults kept a watchful eye to ensure everyone stayed safe. It was a nice surprise to note that no adults seemed to be sitting on the comfy couches or using the free wifi. They were all too engaged with the happy children at play.
Visiting Little Land Play Gym
If you think your child would enjoy Open Play at Little Land, you’re right! Here’s what to know before you go:
- Be sure to bring socks for both you and your child. Parents need to wear socks, too. (But don’t worry if you forget – you can purchase socks at Little Land Play Gym for just $2.)
- You can bring your own snacks and drinks, to eat in an area separate from the gym, or purchase them while there.
- The Play Gym is enclosed with a locking gate, so you don’t have to worry about your child escaping to the parking lot.
- There is a baby play area, designed for littles age 18 months and under.
- Little Land offers Occupational and Speech Therapy, and they are accepting new patients.
- Little Land offers a number of classes and programs, as well as Parents Day Out and Parents Night Out programs.
- Party rooms are available, which can also be reserved for large groups or field trips. Call (512) 827-3601 for details.
Open Play Passes
0 to 12 months – $5 (if with a sibling, FREE)
13 to 23 months – $9
2 years and above – $12
Parents – FREE
For more information, visit the Little Land Play Gym website.