Once again it’s time for some high-flying fun — and this year it’s time to celebrate a special milestone. The ABC Kite Fest that we all know and love and look forward to every spring is turning 90!!
The big celebration is coming this weekend, on Sunday, March 31, where over 35,000 Austinites will gather to fly their kites and to watch the skies over Zilker Park turn every shade of the rainbow with flying, fluttering fun.
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
The festival was originally created in 1929 as a contest to encourage creativity in children by The Exchange Club of Austin. Now underwritten by ABC Home & Commercial Services and produced by the Friends of the ABC Kite Fest, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, the festival is the longest-running of its kind.
Since that original kite contest, the festival has grown into so much more! In addition to kite flying and gazing, there are some really great activities that guests can look forward to this year, including:
- The Anteater Fun Run, a 2.1 mile run that will kick off the festival at 9:30 a.m.
- The MossFest children’s concert from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. featuring the Barton Hills Choir, Que Pastas, and more, held in honor of John “Moss” Pieratt Jr.
- The Kids Club, a project of St. David’s Children’s Hospital, complete with face painting, bounce houses, and more.
- For those who put a lot of work into their kites, The Exchange Club Kite Showcase & Contest allows entry from the public with handmade kites. For more details on categories and registration, visit the ABC Kite Fest website.
- And new this year, the H-E-B Pet Zone, where furry friends have a special place to play with a swimming pool, sunning deck, agility ramp, puppy playground, and more.
The best thing about all of it is that it’s FREE! Even to get there — Cap Metro will be offering free transit passes to Austinites to get to and from the festival. Local food and drinks will also be available for purchase, but everything else is free. Unless, of course, you’re looking for a more VIP experience that includes VIP parking, catered food from Central Market, and more, then you’ll want to check out the High Flyer Club on the festival website.
Now get busy finding or making the best kite out there!