It’s a new year and that means it’s time for a new list of special events, discounts, and fun educational events for homeschool families. This year’s list includes activities in the greater Austin area and some worthy of a day trip. Dates are still being scheduled at fantastic locations across the state. We will be updating this post as more events are added.
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
Also, before you head out to learn and explore, make sure to check out these posts:
- Visit, Learn, and Do series: Each post offers a lesson plan and printable activities for educational spots around town.
- Free Educational Resources: A list of fun spots to visit and links to printable guides, lesson plans, scavengers hunts and more available at each location.
The Bullock Museum – A day full of discovery and learning with special programs and classes.
- Date: February 18, 2016; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Cost: FREE admission and Group discount rates for films in the IMAX Theatre and the Texas Spirit Theatre
- Additional Info: Visit the link to RSVP and to view the full homeschool class schedule
Hill Country Science Mill (Johnson City, TX) – On the second Wednesday of each month, the Science Mill will offer a reduced rate to the museum as well as special programming including special demonstrations and guests.
- Date: Monthly – Jan 13th, Feb 10th, Mar 9th, April 13th, May 11th; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Cost: $6 per student. 1 free educator per student. Additional adults are $8. No reservations required. Learning Labs will be offered at 11:30am and 1pm for an additional cost of $4 per student (limited space available for Learning Labs).
- Additional Info: Homeschool parents can request to join the educator email list at [email protected]
Schlitterbahn (New Braunfels, TX) – Discounted rates available for the full park.
- Date: June 5 – 12, 2016
- Cost: $35.99 (all ages), meal, drink, and cash card options available. See the Prepaid Group Order Form for prices and to place ticket orders.
- Additional Info: Home School Family Full-Park Days must be purchased at least 3 days prior to your visit and a minimum order of 15 admissions is required.
SEA LIFE Aquarium (Grapevine, TX) – Visit during homeschool week for reduced rates and a free workshop.
- Date: February 22-26, 2016; 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Cost: $10 per person. Includes all day admission, educational talks on the hour, and activity stations open from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Additional Info: Limited space is available. Tickets can be purchased in advance to guarantee entry.
Six Flags over Texas (Arlington, TX) – Six Flags Over Texas invites home school groups, associations, and families to enjoy an exclusive day at the park.
- Date: May 5, 2016
- Cost: For more information please contact us at 817-640-8900 ext. 4100. To order tickets call 817-640-8900 ext. 4950.
- Additional Info: Free educational workbooks available to download: Math and Science and Physics.
Great Wolf Lodge (Grapevine, TX) – Save 15% on best available rates on select dates.
- Date: Book and stay by 12/15/16.
- Cost: Savings of up to 15% on select stay dates. Includes water park access. Free daily activities: The Great Clock Tower Show / The Forest Friends Show, Wolf Walk, Cub Club and nightly Story Time.
- Additional Info: Sunday – Thursday only, blackout dates may apply. Use promo code HOME.
Fort Worth Zoo (Fort Worth, TX) – The Fort Worth Zoo offers an annual home school day as well as monthly classes for various age groups. All home-schooled children and their families are invited to a fun-filled educational day in the wilds of the Zoo. Learn amazing facts from our zookeepers at more than 20 Wild Encounters and enjoy asking Zoo staff your best animal questions around the Zoo’s world-class exhibits!
- Date: March 31, 2016
- Cost: 2 and under: free. 3 to 12 years: $4.50. 13+: $6 if purchased in advance. Parking is $5.
- Additional Info: To enhance your Home School Day experience, consider purchasing tickets to an education program presented in our Outdoor Learning Theater. Tickets are $3 per person; children 2 and younger are free. Don’t forget to turn in your ticket stub at the end of the show to receive a free scavenger hunt. Once completed, turn your scavenger hunt form in at the Texas Nature Traders building for a chance to win special prizes!
San Antonio Zoo (San Antonio, TX) – Classes for grades K-8th (Ages 6 and up)
- Date: February 3rd – Madagascar, April 6th – Biomimicry, May 4th – Reptiles
- Cost: $15/member adult and child; $25/nonmember adult and child; $10 extra participant (adult or child)
- Additional Info: [email protected] or 210-734-7184, Ext. 1504. or register here.
SeaWorld (San Antonio, TX) – Bring your school group to SeaWorld® to learn about our wonderful creatures during park operational days. You’ll also attend special animal presentations designed specifically for education groups. Bring your own lunch and your group can enjoy a picnic between our enlightening shows. Specifically for Pre-K through Grade 6.
- Date: March 31, April 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29, May 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20. 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Cost:$8 per student. For every 3 students, one adult is allowed the $8 student rate. Adults over the 3:1 ratio pay $25.
- Additional Info: Call (800) 700-7786 (then press 3 for Group Education) to register. Please note, this is a guided tour with an itinerary, not open admission to the park.
George Ranch Historical Park (Houston, TX) – Come learn about Texans who certainly made an impression. Visit some of Texas’ most colorful figures — plus, experience a 19th-century wedding, take cover during a dangerous shoot-’em-up and learn about the funeral traditions of the late Victorian era
- Date: February 25, 2016. 9:00 a.m.
- Additional Info: For more information, or to book your homeschool group, call 281-343-0218 or email [email protected].
Houston Zoo (Houston, TX) – On your mark, get set, LEARN! In this fun-filled day, the whole family will get a chance to exercise their minds as well as their bodies as we play games to demonstrate concepts such as predator/prey relationships, working together as a pack, and more. Game time will also include data collection skills and interpretation.
- Date: May 12, 2016. 10:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Cost:$12 for Zoo Members. $15 for non-Zoo Members.
- Additional Info: Register here
Have fun learning on the go while enjoying the wonderful educational activities available to homeschool families this year!