It’s officially summertime in Austin, Texas! The kids are out of school, and it’s the perfect time to explore all of the fun that our city has to offer. Whether you’re looking to beat the heat, embrace the heat, or just stay completely out of the heat, we’ve got a list of the best free and cheap Austin summer activities coming your way!
1. Practice perfecting your cannonball at Barton Springs.
2. Splash around at the oldest swimming pool in Texas.
3. Cool off at one of Austin’s top beaches.
4. Check out the Stickwork Sculptures and enjoy the splash pad at Pease Park.
5. Go birdwatching at Commons Ford Metropolitan Park.
6. Learn about Texas history at our state capitol.
7. Take a little road-trip to shop ’til you drop at Wimberley Market Days.
8. Spend the day with our extinct friends at Austin’s top dinosaur spots.
9. Plan the perfect picnic.
10. Go hiking at Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve.
11. Spend the day adventuring around Zilker Park.
12. Catch butterflies at McKinney Falls State Park. Just remember to let them go!
13. Catch the gorgeous views of Mount Bonnell at sunset.
14. Take a stroll or ride bikes on Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk.
15. Kayak or canoe Lady Bird Lake.
16. Be amazed by the beauty that is The Cathedral of Junk.
17. Camp and play at Emma Long Park!
18. Get some exercise at Great Hills Park.
19. Ride the train at Leander’s Cedar Rock Railroad.
20. Stare in wonder at the bats in downtown Austin.
21. Dine, explore, and take in the Lake Travis views at The Oasis.
22. Enjoy all of the water fun at Typhoon Texas.
23. Hike, swim and look for waterfalls at St. Edward’s Park.
24. Eat a burger while the kids enjoy the playground at Phil’s Icehouse.
25. Then hop next door for some ice cream at Amy’s.
26. Journey to the top of the 360 Overlook (Pennybacker Bridge.)
27. Have an indoor Nerf War at Dart ‘Em Up.
29. Indoor skydive at iFly.
31. Ride the Metro Rail to downtown Austin.
32. Get lost in a good book at BookPeople.
33. Move to the beat at one of Austin’s top family-friendly live music spots.
34. Root for the home team at a Round Rock Express game.
35. See how high you can jump at Altitude Trampoline Park.
36. Go for a hole-in-one at Peter Pan Miniature Golf.
37. Hop aboard the Zilker Zephyr!
38. Stare in wonder at the beauty that is Central Library. Maybe even check out a book or two after you’re done staring.
39. Make your little one’s wildest dreams come true by letting them read to a horse at Pony Tales. Free and for grades kindergarten through fifth!
40. Learn, play and spend the day at the Thinkery.
42. Or attend one of the Live Concerts on the Square in Georgetown.
43. Join an Austin tradition and find a spot at Blues on the Green.
45. Throw a strike (or a gutter ball?) while bowling at Main Event.
46. Go rock climbing at Austin Rock Gym.
47. Create memories while battling it out at Blazer Tag.
48. Grab a burger and a milkshake while the kids enjoy the playground at Hat Creek Burger.
49. Stroll through the gorgeous greenery at Zilker Botanical Gardens.
50. Learn and Earn at Austin Nature and Science Trade Center’s Trade Counter.
Now it’s time to tackle that summer bucket list! Happy exploring and cheers to having a safe, fun and adventure-packed summer in our amazing city!