This summer, just like any other, kids will be eager to get out of the house and have some fun around town! Austin’s own Kids Kitchen team has come up with a list of their favorite local spots where families can grab a healthy snack on the go, in between summer adventures and activities!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
1. JuiceLand – JuiceLand is a great place to stop for fresh juice drinks and pre-packaged snacks. Their convenient counter style service allows for little to no wait time and a place “where drinks come true” very quickly. JuiceLand allows children to choose their favorite fruit flavors and parents can even sneak in some healthy greens! Check out all their new locations here.
2. The Soup Peddler – “We are a fuel station for people.” The Soup Peddler is known for their healthy variety of fresh juices, smoothies, locally homemade soups, salads, and pressed sandwiches. They offer dine-in, take out, delivery, and even weekly meal plan delivery! Their three locations are strategically placed in major areas, which makes them easily accessible no matter where you live in Austin.
3. Farmers Markets – If you are looking for food and fun, farmers markets in the Austin area are where you will find it! In the last year, Austin has greatly expanded on the amount of Farmers Markets open to the public. These are great destinations for the whole family; plan to spend some quality time checking out all the fresh, locally grown produce, meat, and dairy. Vendors are always eager to talk to visitors and let them try what they have brought to the market. Hungry? Grab some of the freshest items Austin has to offer at your local farmers market.
4. Grocery Stores – Grocery stores are excellent places to grab snacks or meals on the go. Whether you’re near a Whole Foods, Sprouts, Target, or HEB, in the produce section you will find wide varieties of fruit and even pre-packaged, well-balanced snack trays that include carrots, grapes, apples, and pita chips, with hummus, Ranch, or peanut butter. If your family can’t all agree on one thing, the grocery store is the place to be. Here, everyone can get something they like!
5. Food Trucks – Austin LOVES its food carts, and the amount of trucks grows larger each day! They are conveniently set up in parking lots, sidewalks, and parks all over the city, either free standing or in groups. These carts serve up some of the freshest and best food in Austin while maintaining a fast, casual dining experience for all!
6. Thundercloud Subs – Serving fresh, fast, and healthy food in a quirky and fun atmosphere, this local sub shop is the perfect place to grab a quick lunch or dinner at a reasonable price. Try the veggie sub with guacamole!
7. Bamboo Bistro – In the mood for Chinese? Bamboo Bistro offers fine Asian cuisine and vegetarian based sauces for dine-in, delivery, and even drive thru! This family-friendly restaurant has convenient locations in North and South Austin, and a user-friendly website.
8. Coffee Shops and Tea Houses – Most coffee shops and tea houses now offer a variety of fresh baked goods, pre-made sandwiches, snack packs, and protein/granola bars. The couches and lounge-type atmospheres provide a great environment to wind down after a long day and spend some quality time catching up with the family.
Have a happy and healthy summer as you visit your favorite Snack Stop!