This afternoon, I took my five children, ages 1 to 14, to test out Mt. Playmore, “the largest indoor playground in Central Texas”, which is scheduled to open in North Austin in a few weeks. I took dozens of photos, many of which came out blurry because those kids would not stop moving! There was just too much ground to cover. The huge, multi-level playscape loops around the room, so kids can jump and climb and swing and slide, without ever exiting the structure, and then do it all over again. All of my kids loved it, including the teenager, who made me laugh when she said that it brought out her “inner child.”
The neat thing about Mt. Playmore is that it isn’t just a series of ramps and tunnels, like smaller scale playscapes you may have encountered. Around every corner there is something new: a balance beam, a zipline, a hammock, a disk swing, monkey rings, bungee columns, a bridge, springy floors, obstacles, bouncy seats, slides, and more. The slides were an especially big hit with my boys. According to my 12-year-old, “These slides are the best slides that I’ve ever been on anywhere. They are three times faster than any other slides, including waterslides.” And it’s true; I had to test them out to be sure.
The very best way to get a sense of the variety of play elements at Mt. Playmore is to watch this 1-minute video on Facebook. It really captures how much fun you can have inside the structure. You can also see a map of the layout here and a photo capturing most of the play room here (there will soon be a parent lounge in the middle of the room, with comfy chairs and free wi-fi).
While Mt. Playmore has its own FAQs page, here are a few additional things I learned today:
- Anyone can play at Mt. Playmore! There are no age restrictions. Parents are encouraged to get in there and enjoy the playscape right alongside their children.
- Toddlers are welcome as well. My 16-month old was able climb throughout the structure with very little help and enjoyed everything except the slides (she was on my lap, but we went so fast it scared her). Bear in mind, however, that we were the only family on the structure today. If you have littles who would be intimidated by hordes of older kids running around, you might consider waiting until after school starts to visit.
- There will be a large, 1,400-square-foot Toddler Room for the young ones to enjoy, separate from the main play area. This room was not set up yet, but I was told it will have plastic play equipment (similar to Step 2) and toys.
- Socks are required for the play structure. Mt. Playmore will sell socks at the front desk, in case you forget to bring some along.
- The play equipment will be treated by GermLogic, to keep the surfaces sanitized.
- Mt. Playmore will also have an arcade in a separate room, which will require tokens. My 12-year-old can’t wait to go back to check that out.
- There will be a full-service restaurant with booths and tables. This will likely not be ready in time for the Grand Opening, but will soon offer quality food for purchase.
- Due to Health Department regulations, any establishment that cooks food cannot allow outside food to be brought in. (Although you will be allowed to bring in birthday cake if you host a party there.)
- In addition to the regular four-stall restrooms, there will also be two family style restrooms with small, kid-size toilets and sinks, as well as changing tables.
- There is no firm Grand Opening date yet, but the goal is to open in two weeks. Check the Facebook page for updates.
- Children under 2 years old will get in free. Children ages 2 – 3 will be $2.95 on school days and $3.95 on non-school days. Children age 4 and up will be $7.95 on school days and $9.95 on non-school days. Adults (19 and up) will be $1.
- Monthly and Annual passes are now available for purchase online. Save 25% on all passes purchased between now and Grand Opening!
- There is a Groupon available for one more day, or until is sells out (no affiliate link).
One winner will be selected using random.org on Monday, July 7, 2014 and notified by email. The prize will be available for pickup at Mt. Playmore (it will not be mailed) and it will be valid for one year from the first date of use. Sweepstakes Official Rules.
Mt. Playmore (map)
13609 North IH-35
Austin TX 78753