Ever thought about trying a Yoga class? Did you miss your chance to try it for free on Austin’s Free Day of Yoga? Fear not! Here’s a list of places to find FREE Yoga in Austin, all year round.
Yoga in the Park
Yoga in the Park classes are free of charge and are led by certified yoga instructors in Republic Square Park, Wooldridge Square Park, Shipe Park, Dick Nichols District Park, Hostelling International Park, and Balcones District Park. Please bring your own yoga mat to class. Check Austin Parks Foundation’s website for cancellations and notifications. See the calendar for upcoming dates.
- Wooldridge Square Park – 900 Guadalupe St, Austin. Family classes are held by The Little Yoga House the third Sunday of every month at 11 a.m. in the fall. The next class is Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 11 a.m.
- Shipe Park – 4400 Avenue G, Austin. All-level Hatha Yoga classes are held by Yoga Yoga every Wednesday from 12-1 p.m. in October.
- Dick Nichols District Park – 8011 Beckett Rd, Austin. Green Bird Fitness hosts classes that are held year-round on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Classes will meet near the playground, adjacent to the main parking lot. This all-level yoga class will incorporate elements of yoga, pilates and instructor Lauren Whitehead’s extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Hostelling International Park – 2200 S Lakeshore Blvd, Austin. Enlightened Yoga will host Free Vinyasa Yoga by the Lake classes that are held year-round on the first and third Friday of the month from 11:00 a.m. – noon. They meet in the backyard of Hostelling International, near the water and the hike and bike trail, if the weather is nice. If the weather is poor, class will be held on the second floor of the hostel. Mats are provided if you don’t have your own.
- Balcones District Park – 12017 Amherst Dr, Austin. CorePower Yoga hosts classes that are held every Saturday at 9:00 a.m. until October 31, 2015. CorePower Yoga also offers one Free Unlimited Week of yoga to all local residents.
More Outside Yoga
- Full Moon Yoga – 4400 Ridge Oak Dr, Austin. Charles MacInerney leads a FREE, outdoor Full Moon Yoga and Meditation Class at a scenic overlook each month. They do some gentle Hatha Yoga, a 20 minute meditation, watch the sunset and the full moonrise, and then visit with one another and enjoy the scenery. This tradition is now in its 20th year! These classes are FREE and are open to anyone, regardless of age or experience. Children and even well behaved pets are welcome. Please bring a blanket, or something to sit on. The next class is October 27, 2015 at 5:45 p.m. Classes meet regardless of weather for those adventurous enough to show up. Check the Facebook page for more info.
- FXfit Yoga – iPic Movie Theater, 3225 Amy Donovan Plaza, Austin. FXfit is hosting free yoga classes at the Domain, on the outdoor turf in front of IPic. Classes are taught by Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT) with The Yoga Alliance. Mondays & Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. Win prizes and discounts from participating retailers at each class! Classes will include Vinyasa flow, warming the body up and allowing for deeper, safer stretching. The class will focus not only on movement in meditation, but breathing, self-awareness and poses that work best for the body within each season. Email [email protected] for additional information, or check out the Facebook page.
- Whole Foods Flagship Store Rooftop Plaza – 525 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin. Classes are held Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Please arrive a half an hour to an hour early to ensure a spot as these are very popular and usually fill up! Check Twitter daily to confirm any cancellations due to weather (@WholeFoodsATX).
- Wells Branch Library – 15001 Wells Port Dr, Austin. They offer a FREE yoga class for all skill levels that meets every other Thursday from 10:30-11:45 a.m. The next class is October 15, 2015. No registration needed. Please bring your own yoga mat.
- Laura’s Library – 9411 Bee Cave Road, Austin. They offer a FREE yoga class called Prime of Life yoga for adults every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Lisa Galizia from Bee Cave Yoga teaches this for people 40 and over that want a more gentle, noncompetitive style.
- Yoga Yoga Westgate – 4477 S Lamar Blvd #420, Austin. They offer a FREE yoga class for cancer survivors every Wednesday from 12:00-1:30 p.m. They also offer FREE yoga yearly on January 1st and on Labor Day.
- Round Rock Yoga Room – 503 E Palm Valley Blvd #220, Round Rock. They offer a FREE class on Sundays from 1-2:00 p.m. through November 1, 2015 that is taught by Teacher Trainees.
- Fitness 360 – The Triangle, 4601 North Lamar Blvd, Suite 508, Austin. They believe it is important to give back to the community, therefore every Friday at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday at 9:00 a.m. they offer a FREE one hour Yoga class open to the public! Yoga 360 is a traditional Hatha/Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Kundalini, breathe-focused movements also incorporated. Never hesitate to request movements or poses!
- BFree Yoga Austin – 2905 San Gabriel Suite 102 Austin. FREE Guided Mediation class every Sunday at 5:30 p.m.
- Sahaja Yoga Meditation Center – North Austin Business Center, 8711 Burnet Road, Suite A-12, Austin. On Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 10:30 a.m., they offer all level classes that require no previous experience. Since they are offered as a service to the community, they are completely FREE and open to everyone.
- Sanctuary Yoga studio is very unique in that all of their classes support the youth programs of the Amala Foundation. Since it is one of the main sources of income for the youth, they don’t offer a ton of free yoga, but will have a free yoga event once in a while. They do offer one FREE class from 4:30-7:00 a.m. on Wednesday mornings, which practices Sadhana and Kundalini breath work and chanting. Additionally, they are looking for work traders, where they trade Yoga for people who come in and help keep the studio clean.
More Free Yoga
- Cherrywood Coffeehouse – 1400 E 38th 1/2 St, Austin. FREE Community yoga everyday Monday-Friday from 8-9 a.m. in their side room.
- Atoning Yoga – St. Philip’s United Methodist Church, 16321 Great Oaks Dr, Round Rock. FREE Christian Yoga classes on Monday nights at 7:00 p.m. in the Family Life Center. They will be offering four FREE classes to the community, which are co-ed, designed for beginners, and include Biblical Scripture and prayer in every class. Wear comfortable clothing, bring a yoga mat (or towel) and a water bottle, and invite a friend!
- Yoga in the Galleries – Blanton Museum of Art, The University of Texas at Austin, 200 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Austin. Every third Thursday, the Blanton offers FREE yoga at noon.
- Luke’s Locker – 115 Sandra Muraida Way, Suite 102, Austin. FREE yoga classes every Sunday at 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. inside the store. Bring your mat!
- Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center – 600 River St., Austin. FREE yoga class on Saturdays from 10-11 a.m., through December 19, 2015.
- Southwest Key – Southwest Key Board Room (3rd Floor), 6002 Jain Ln., Austin. FREE yoga classes every Monday 5:30-6:30 p.m. Provided as a FREE service to the community by East Austin Children’s Promise Health Promise Program. No pre-registration required. Drop ins welcome! For more information please contact Melissa Villarreal, Health Promise Coordinator ([email protected], 512-583-2568) or Aleah Penn, Health Promise Liaison ([email protected], 512-415-2829). Classes are subject to change.
Donation-based classes are not really free, but more like a gift to the community for those who can’t afford the regular price of classes all the time. The instructors have all been trained and certified to teach, and are giving the gift of their teaching to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity to practice yoga. Please do not take advantage of this generosity. These studios want to make yoga accessible for everyone, regardless of income. Sometimes donation-based classes are also charity fundraisers, so please donate with respect to your teacher and the charity (if donations go towards one). That being said, this is a really great opportunity to try some yoga if you can’t really afford to spend around $15/class each time. Most donation suggestions range from $5 – $15.
- Practice Yoga Austin offers classes that are free, but a suggested donation of $10-$15.
- Eastside Yoga offers community classes all day on Sundays that are by donation. There is no minimum donation suggestion, and anyone can attend even if they have no money. Here is the Sunday schedule.
- Yoga Mediation Group offers a mediation practice on Thursdays from 7-8:30 p.m. This is a weekly practice for both new and continuing students. It’s a perfect opportunity to support your own daily practice by coming together with others to meditate. No charge. Suggested donation: $5. Location: Haven House (11200 Powder Mill Trail, 78750). RSVP is appreciated – by email, text, or phone.
- Up Collective offers donation based/free classes on Monday from 6:30-8 p.m. and Tuesday from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Classical Yoga Lifestyle Institute offers Yoga for Better Living classes that are now being held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6-7 p.m. Classes are by donation. Any amount that you are comfortable with will be appreciated. Go here to confirm your place.
- Energies Balanced offers classes that are all donation-based. Click here for a schedule of classes.
- Yoganywhere offers classes at 1900 Gold Wing drive, Austin (off of Metric at Gold Wing Drive & Tallow Field Way in North Austin). Please see Google maps for directions. Yoga in the Park is offered for donations ($10 – $15 suggested donation). The donations go to support the GreaterGood Network who has given more than $26 million to non-profit charities around the world working to fight hunger, cancer, help animals, child health, literacy and rainforests. Join their Facebook group for more info.
- Modo Yoga Austin offers karma classes, which are minimum $5 donation classes and all proceeds go to charity. They happen every Wednesday at 8 p.m.
- Mind Body Yoga Austin offers a free/donation-based class on Sunday mornings from 8:45-9:45 a.m. This Halloween they are also doing a free “Yog Nindra” from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Click here to sign up.
- Whole Lotta Yoga! Festival – Whole Foods, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin. Saturday, October 17, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Join Austin Fit Magazine, Onnit, and nine yoga studio friends for a Whole Lotta Yoga! benefiting the Whole Kids Foundation. Whole Lotta Yoga! will offer eight, unique, 30-minute classes and acro yoga play and practice on the plaza of Whole Foods Market’s downtown location. There will be a 30-minute break between each class when you can explore the vendor booths, grab some food & drink, and mingle with new and old friends. It Pays To Donate! (http://wholelottayoga.eventbrite.com/) $20 donation to the Whole Kids Foundation will get you a free Whole Lotta Yoga! Class Card to all 9 participating studios. $30 donation will get you a free Class Card + a Whole Lotta Yoga! tank. $50 donation gets you a free Class Card + Whole Lotta Yoga! tank + Raffle entry for various prizes from one of the 9 participating studios, including a free year of yoga. Stay for one, stay for all, or do as many as you like. Just bring a yoga mat, a smile, and if you like, a donation to the Whole Kids Foundation.
- Black Swan Yoga – Click here for list of studio locations. These studios partners with local businesses to bring you free yoga classes, offer drop in classes by donation (suggested donation $10 – $15), and have unlimited memberships ($88 per month) for frequent practitioners.
- Kundalini Yoga Mueller – Inside the Sustainable Food Center at 2921 E 17th St, Austin. This is a pay-what-you-can-afford yoga class on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.
- Pure Bikram Yoga – They offer two donation-based beginner yoga classes per week. Donations benefit Pure Action Yoga Is Medicine. Classes are at 4:30 pm Saturdays at PURE Bikram Yoga South Austin at 4301 W William Cannon Dr #108, Austin, and 4:30 pm Sundays at PURE Bikram Yoga North Austin at Northcross Mall 2525 W Anderson Ln #320, Austin.
Did we miss a spot? Let us know if you have a favorite place to practice free yoga in Austin!
The Little Yoga House is a boutique studio that offers a variety of programs for infants through teenagers, with a specific focus on healthy child development through yoga, music, dance, art and nature. The goal of our program is to empower our yogis to feel strong, confident, and aware – both on and off the mat! Having FUN is key in each and every one of our classes, so we invite you to hop on the yoga train and come explore with us!