The Wildflower Center will honor its founder, Lady Bird Johnson, and celebrate all that she did to beautify our nation, during Tribute Day on Sunday, July 27, 2014. Admission will be free for all visitors on this special Sunday. Enjoy exhibits and children’s activities during extended hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Play in the new Family Garden and participate in crafts, story time and more.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- Docent-led garden tours – 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Story time – 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Little House
- Interior treasures tour – 11:30 a.m. led by docent Marie Bassett
- Paper making craft – Until 4 p.m. in the courtyard, with wildflower seeds incorporated into the paper for planting or sharing
- Discovery cart – All day. Hands-on activities in the Luci and Ian Family Garden
- Take your photo with Lady Bird – All day. Guests can bring a camera to take a photo with a life-size likeness of Mrs. Johnson
- Memorabilia display – All day. See a leaf in plexiglass that Mrs. Johnson collected during a Vermont trip with Mr. and Mrs. Laurance Rockefeller; a pair of her size 7 shoes; a First Day of Issue stamp folder from 1966 that was part of the Keep America Beautiful Campaign she championed as First Lady; personal photo albums from an Austin visit by Queen Elizabeth II, Mrs. Johnson’s 75th Jubilee in D.C. given by President and Mrs. Reagan and other events; and an 1857 book about flowers from her LBJ Ranch collection.
- Silent auction – All day. Attendees can bid in person in the Visitors Gallery on five books from the Ranch collection or from Mrs. Johnson’s library in her Austin home. The books will be in displays and were published in the 1980s or later about Texas, wildflowers or America (see below for list of books). The highest bidder for each will be contacted after Tribute Day.
- Visit The Store and obtain signed copies of Lady Bird Johnson, Deeds Not Words and Lady Bird Johnson: An Oral History.
For more information on Tribute Day, please visit the Wildflower Center website or call 512-232-0100.
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
4801 La Crosse Ave.
Austin, TX 78739
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.