During the summer months, local children can receive free breakfast and lunch at locations all over town, through the Summer Food Service Program. The program is federally funded and any child between the ages of 1-18 can receive a free breakfast and lunch, regardless of economic status. No identification or registration is required. Meals are available on weekdays only and serving times vary by location.
Here are some links to help find free meals near you:
- Capital Area Food Bank of Texas has a map of Summer Food Service Program locations (and the locations are also listed in a chart below the map). For more information, contact Programs Manager Amy Madore at 512-684-2111 or [email protected].
- Austin ISD is offering free lunch at more than 30 AISD schools (pdf).
- Pflugerville ISD is offering free summer meals at these 10 schools.
- Hutto ISD is offering free meals at 4 schools.
- Leander ISD is offering free summer meals at 7 locations. There will be a summer kick-off party on Friday, June 13, 2014, from noon – 1 p.m.
- Round Rock ISD is offering free breakfast and lunch at 8 locations.
- San Marcos CISD is offering free meals for those under 18 at 9 locations. Adult trays are available for $3.
- Hays CISD will provide free meals at 5 locations.
- You can also search by zip code.
Participating sites, program dates, and meal service times are subject to change. For information about the Summer Nutrition Program, please visit www.summerfood.org.
For additional resources, read “Help Youth Find a Free Meal This Summer,” by Naomi Ditullio.