Free fun in Austin this weekend:
- KUTX Live at Mueller – Friday at 7:00 p.m. The fun starts with a kid-friendly act, Jarebear, followed by rock and roll for the grown-ups by Octopus Project. Food trucks, fun, and live music on the lake. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Shakespeare in Zilker Park: Macbeth – Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 8:00 p.m. This is the 32nd year of FREE Shakespeare in Zilker Park, returning with a military-themed version of Shakespeare’s supernatural story of ambition gone awry. Audiences are encouraged to bring blankets and picnics. Admission is FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Free Comic Book Day – Saturday. As the name implies, Free Comic Book Day is a single day when participating comic book specialty shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE to anyone who comes into their shops. Enter your zip code here to find your nearest participating Austin-area store.
- Kids Fest – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Kids Fest is a fun-filled day for babies, toddlers, children, tweens, and families to play and learn about all the important aspects of raising happy, healthy kids. This event provides valuable community resources related to early development, health and wellness, nutrition, fitness, education, and financial empowerment. Activities include live music by the Biscuit Brothers (11:00 a.m.), entertainment by Bonzo Crunch, crafts, face painting, kite making, photo booth, games, and more. FREE! The Browning Hanger at Mueller, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Violet Crown Festival – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Art, music, food, and lots of FREE kids’ activities? Violet Crown Spring Festival has it all. The festival will feature local art and craft vendors, family fun, children’s activities, and live music. The schedule of entertainment will include music from Feet First, Jungle Jill and the Jaybirds, Fingers and Lips, the Ron Titter Band, Punch Card and Don Leady’s Rockin’ Revue. Children will have the opportunity to meet and learn from the Tree Man, who is a wonder and delight for all ages. Other offerings include face painting, life-sized Jenga and chess, hula-hoops, Legos, different craft stations, and ladder golf. Refreshments will be available for purchase. Admission is FREE! Brentwood Elementary School, 6700 Arroyo Seco, Austin.
- Pecan Street Festival – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. More than 60 of Austin’s finest musical acts bring three stages to life, and family-friendly activities from street magicians to a petting zoo delight both adults and children. Food vendors provide both healthy and indulgent choices, often supported by and benefiting charitable partners. Admission is FREE! 6th Street between Brazos and I-35, Austin.
- (Roller) Derby Day – Saturday from Noon to 2:00 p.m. Learn about the other derby, the one with quads rather than horses, that was born right here in Austin: roller derby. Real skaters from TXRD and Texas Rollergirls will tell you all about what it takes to be a rollergirl (or guy) and give you a head start by helping you choose a derby name and making a team shirt. T-shirts will be provided, or bring your own. FREE! APL – Manchaca Road Branch, 5500 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- 2 O’Clock Tunes – Saturday from 2-4:00 p.m. APL’s Twin Oaks Branch is hosting a fun, new music series designed for the whole family, showcasing some of Austin’s local artists in their outdoor amphitheater. There will be music-themed crafts for children and a music-focused media sale. Light refreshments will be provided. This week, celebrate Cinco de Mayo with two performances: Manuel ‘Cowboy’ Donley will open, followed by Mariachi los Gallos. FREE! APL – Twin Oaks Branch, 1800 S Fifth St, Austin.
- UMLAUF Family Day – Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Family Days offer special, hands-on programs designed for families with children 4-10 years old. Families have the opportunity to explore the UMLAUF while engaging in creative activities. Listen to stories, do yoga in the garden, watch sculpture demos, enjoy live music, and more. FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
Mother’s Day Concert at the Capitol – Sunday at 7:00 p.m. What better way to close out a great day with Mom than by taking her to a concert in her honor? The Austin Symphonic Band will perform well-known tunes, including marches and musical numbers, that you and your Mom are sure to enjoy. Get there early to select the best seating–this concert gets more popular every year. FREE! Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave, Austin. Canceled due to the weather.
Bonus nearly free fun:
- CRUX Climbing Center Grand Opening – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. CRUX Climbing Center is packing in an exciting day full of climbing competitions, DJ, face painting, photo booth, live t-shirt screen-printing, and drinks for those 21+. Day passes will be $5. CRUX Climbing Center, 121 Pickle Rd, Austin.
- Touch-A-Truck – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Kids of all ages can play on a wide variety of vehicles while learning about how they help serve their communities. In addition to the vehicles, the event will feature live music, plenty of food trucks, and a Kid Zone complete with a petting zoo, face painting, barrel-train rides, and more. General Admission is $5 per person. All proceeds benefit Austin Children’s Shelter. Purchase your tickets in advance here. Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin.
More fun beyond Austin:
- FFA Craft Market (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Shop 50+ vendors and local artisans. 9:30 a.m. FREE defense class by Lion Krav Maga, 10:00 a.m. FREE Yoga class by Jannette Marie Scott, 11:00 a.m. FREE Zumba class by Kathy Solano. Capital Gymnastics Showteam performance at 2:30 p.m. Admission is FREE! Pflugerville High School, 1301 W Pecan St, Pflugerville.
- Dia de las Madres (Round Rock) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Enjoy performances by Joe McDermott, the Bluebonnet Elementary School Choir, Hopewell Middle School mariachi group, Copperfield Elementary Ballet Folklorico, Monsoon Dance, the Isaac Sisters and Round Rock Ballet Folklorico. Other activities include arts and crafts for kids, a chance to take pictures with mom, and FREE carnations for mothers. Admission is FREE! Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Pioneer Days (Round Rock) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Dip candles and churn butter, make corn husk dolls and rag balls, or wander through reenactment camps along with a fully stocked general store. FREE! The Old Settlers Association of Williamson County in Old Settlers Park, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: Soul Track Mind (Bee Cave) – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Browse the vendors, order to-go food and have it delivered to your spot on the lawn, and enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors. FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.