Are you looking for a rewarding, family-friendly volunteer experience this summer?
Meals on Wheels Central Texas has immediate openings for substitute volunteers across the Greater Austin area. Substitute drivers are responsible for delivering meals to home-bound clients when the regular volunteer driver is unable to take the route. Much like a substitute teacher, the substitute driver does not have a permanent weekly route, but is called as needed.
The City of Austin has temporarily banned public gatherings. Please stay home. The Free Fun in Austin calendar is only for live digital events at this time.
Meals on Wheels’ dedicated volunteers deliver nutritious lunchtime meals to home-bound older adults and people with disabilities. Meals are prepared each weekday out of the Central Kitchen in East Austin, then sent to 14 different pick-up sites strategically located throughout the Greater Austin area. Volunteers pick up the meals from their assigned pickup site between 11:00-11:45 a.m. and each delivery route takes one hour or less to complete. You can even select your preference of delivery areas!
With the kids out of school, this is a wonderful opportunity to teach children the importance of focusing on the needs of others. Delivering meals as a family is a win-win for everyone — seeing you and your kids can make a Meals on Wheels client’s day!
Ready to help?
If delivering meals to home-bound adults in your neighborhood sounds like a good fit for your family, here’s what it takes to get started:
- Turn in a completed Volunteer Registration Form.
- A copy of CURRENT Driver’s License, a valid inspection sticker, and up-to-date liability insurance coverage on vehicle, as required by the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Participate in a MOWCTX volunteer training session* and/or view the MOWCTX training video
- Verification checks:
- Criminal Background History
- Department of Aging and Disability Services Nurse Aide Registry
- Department of Aging and Disability Services Employee Misconduct Registry
- National Sex Offender Registry
* Orientation is held every Thursday at 12:15 p.m. or by appointment. It takes approximately 1-1.5 hours to complete.
Questions? Call (512) 476-6325 or email [email protected]
Meals on Wheels of Central Texas
3227 E 5th St
Austin, TX 78702