On Saturday, January 17, 2015, youth ages 8 to 17 are invited to attend ATX Youth Summit 2015: “A Celebration of Teen Creativity” at the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center. This event is free, but registration is required.
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
- 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. – Registration Open, Continental Breakfast and Networking
- 9:00 – 9:15 a.m. – Welcome and Summit Overview
- 9:15 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. – Born Again Bodies Transformational Programs, Dance and Fitness.
- 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Totally Cool/Totally Art Teen Art Workshop. The focus of this special session will be on Art History (elements of design and patterns). Workshop participants will create a stunning recreation of their favorite art history painting while learning about the power of the elements of design such as repetition, patterns, and variation. Students will learn about different color combinations and effects that they can achieve.
- 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Dancin’ Jazzi. Learn a dance routine from Choreographer Melanie Smith and see how the pros get started in tap, jazz, ballet, hop hop and modern dance!
- 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Let’s Make a Film. Learn how to make a short film. Get ready for this fast paced session! There will be a short script. Attendees will be assigned roles such as actors, camera operator, set designer, script supervisor, lighting technician, boom operator and more. Rehearse, film, edit and view a short film. Attendees are asked to provide an email address to which the link for the short film will be sent to share with others.
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Lunch Break.
- 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. – Women in Jazz, Inc. Singer’s Performance Workshop. This dynamic and interactive session will focus on effective communication and performance techniques in music. Sing with a live band and learn how to direct them to play the song the way you want to sing it. Sing jazz, Gospel and soul or perform spoken word. Learn how to move on the stage and capture your audience as you sing in your own style!
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Women in Jazz Youth Concert. Pamela Hart and students will showcase vocal jazz with the James Polk Trio. This session is open to summit participants, parents and guests.
1165 Angelina Street
Austin, Texas 78701