Feeling inspired by the lovely weather we’ve been having and wanting to take full advantage before the summer heat begins its imminent descent into Central Texas, we recently took a trip to an East Austin urban farm called Boggy Creek Farm. I wasn’t sure what to expect (a farm in the midst of the city?!), but it was actually quite wonderful. I’m so glad we went!
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
We met up with some friends there, and checked out the chicken coop where the hens were busy laying their eggs – they certainly are having a productive early spring!
Once the kids had run out their excess energy, we paid a visit to their markets to see what was fresh and in season. According to their website, “cool weather” offerings are still in season, with things like celery, carrots, leeks, broccoli, lettuce, and a variety of greens abundant. Some were so popular they were already low on supply by the time we arrived around 11 a.m. (tip: go early if you’re shopping for food – they’re open Wednesday and Saturday from 8am-1pm).
It’s so nice to see East Austin developing in a way that involves environmentally-friendly, local businesses, and it’s even nicer to see Boggy Creek Farm making a name for themselves and providing Austinites with a local farm and market within walking distance of an up-and-coming family neighborhood!
A little more about what to expect on a trip to Boggy Creek Farm:
- Market Days now open at 8am on Wednesday and Saturday for early bird shoppers, and for those who are interested in the freshest and most varied selections, you’d be wise to be there right when they open.
- BCF accepts cash, credit cards and checks.
- You can check their website for offerings by season prior to making the trip, especially if you’re on the hunt for a particular or hard-to-find ingredient.
- Alongside their beautiful produce selections, they also sell local meats and cheeses and select other delicacies.
- If you’re lucky, you may get to rub elbows with local chefs that regularly purchase their ingredients at Boggy Creek Farm for local restaurants Wink, Olivia, Texas French Bread, and Lenoir, to name only a few.
Boggy Creek Farm is located at 3414 Lyons Rd, Austin, 78702.
Hi there, Free Fun in Austin readers! I’m B, and I blog regularly over at Unexpectedly Expecting Baby, chronicling my parenting journey in Austin, and going on and on about my kid.